PDA

View Full Version : returning to XP

gosd
February 8th, 2011, 07:23
After a few months with win7 and many hours fixing things I decided to go back to the XP o/s.:salute:
The two major reasons being that I cannot run OFF phase2 with all of it's missions and that the motor boat missions found at Beau site won't run in win7.
I know that Microsoft will not be supporting the XP o/s much longer but I will address this issue in due time.

HouseHobbit
February 8th, 2011, 08:30
I saw a year ago MS was going to support XP for another several years because so many companies are still using the OS..
I have never had Vista, or Win 7, and If it works(XP) I can't see the need to spend more money I don't have on another OS when XP does all I need, Running CFS3 and the expansions..

ndicki
February 8th, 2011, 10:41
Personally, I couldn't care less whether MS are supporting XP or not - I bought it, I'm using it, and it does what I tell it to. If it works, why fix it? Exactly.

Stratobat
February 8th, 2011, 16:38
You should be good until 2014 :salute:

Regards,
Stratobat

flyer01
February 9th, 2011, 06:37
Glad to hear this. When I built this pc for CFS3 and to be able to make video I stayed with XP.

When we got the PC for my wife a year before I asked to get XP OS and was told that thy could put XP on but it would cost a lot for them to do that and M$ was stopping all support for XP in a few mo's any. Glad thy changed there mind.

flyer01

gosd
February 12th, 2011, 06:14
I have a problem here ;afther reinstalling cfs3 on my machine when prompted the game wont start. Afther some reviewing I noticed that the C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Application Data\Microsoft\Combat Flight Simulator 3.0\
(where XXX = your user name)
was not created.
How can I fix this?

Old Tiger
February 12th, 2011, 07:00
I saw a year ago MS was going to support XP for another several years because so many companies are still using the OS..
I have never had Vista, or Win 7, and If it works(XP) I can't see the need to spend more money I don't have on another OS when XP does all I need, Running CFS3 and the expansions..

:wavey:In my opinion XP Pro is the way to go, my doctor has it, my dentist has it, and even my vet has it. Doesn’t that tell you something?

hairyspin
February 12th, 2011, 07:34
Windows 7 versus XP Pro? I'm nailing my colours to the fence - I have both on a dual-boot rig and use both constantly.

I do notice Win7 64-bit is very sprightly, but XP is no slouch either. Whichever you settle on, you won't be disappointed. I don't think any of us get anywhere near what either OS is really capable of.

To show what I mean, I had a HD crash which lost me Win7 last spring - XP is on a second drive. Then I had a combined motherboard and video card failure before Christmas. I bought a new HD at the same time as the new mobo and graphics card, so you'd think I'd have a reformat and reinstall horror to do before everything works again, especially since the mobo is different from the old one.

Not a bit of it! I plugged everything together and nervously switched on: XP booted up and auto-detected everything bar the new HD. I loaded the new mobo drivers and a reboot later I had a fully working XP installation, then Drive Manager added the new HD. Adding Windows 7 to the new Western Digital drive (thanks for the advice, Nigel!) was simplicity itself.

We don't like MS much at times, but all credit to their OS programmers for such an impressive recovery! :salute: