PDA

View Full Version : what do you read?

gonzonm
February 7th, 2011, 14:32
I just read the cannibal queen by Stephen Coonts, and loved it. now im looking for more great books about flying. so i thought where better to ask.:icon_lol:

CP1207
February 7th, 2011, 14:55
Oh the floodgates you have just opened :jump:

Okay, I'll bite and start-

Richard Bach
Stranger to the Ground (1963) Dell reprint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Publishing) (1990), ISBN 0-440-20658-8 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/0440206588)
Biplane (1966) Dell Reprint (1990), ISBN 0-440-20657-X (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/044020657X)
Nothing by Chance (1969) Dell Reprint 1990, ISBN 0-440-20656-1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/0440206561)
A Gift of Wings (1974) Dell Reissue (1989), ISBN 0-440-20432-1 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/0440204321)

Stephen Coonts
Flight of the Intruder

Richard Drury
My Secret War (a must for Piglet Skyraider fans)

Christopher Robbins
The Ravens (O-1, Spads, General Vang Pao, timely at the moment due to his passing and Arlington denial)

Martin Caidin
The Saga of Iron Annie
Ragwings and Heavy Iron

Reserve the right to come back and add many, many, many, more...

PRB
February 7th, 2011, 14:59
Lots of great ideas in the Aviation Books thread of the Historical Wings forum here:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?2008-Aviation-Books (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?2008-Aviation-Books)

delta_lima
February 7th, 2011, 14:59
Period? Genre?

I've just read "Phoenix Squadron" by Rowland White. Fantastic review of FAA Buccaneer ops.

That was followed by "Joint Harrier" by James Orchard. Naval Harrier ops during an Afghan deployment.

"Systreak, Skyrocket, & Stiletto: Douglas High-Speed X-planes" by Scott Libis - awesome look at the 50's Douglas experimental planes.

"Convair Deltas" by Bill Yenne. F-102, F-106, B-58 extravaganza.

As you can tell, I like military history - I suspect others like OleBoy who have a proclivity more aligned to GA can steer you in that direction.

dl

empeck
February 7th, 2011, 15:15
http://img811.imageshack.us/img811/2168/colorandlightjamesgurne.jpg

One of the best books about theory of color and how to use it. If someone like to draw, or paint it's a must have.

papab
February 7th, 2011, 15:18
Bob Buck...
"North star over my shoulder"

He started flying at 16 and finished as a senior pilot flying 747
Flew across country as a teenager using road maps and rail lines...

Bi planes, DC-2,DC-3,Connies across the pond---very descriptive writing

A must read!
I found a copy at my library..

Rick

skyblazer3
February 7th, 2011, 15:18
Without a doubt, the greatest master of aviation literature in the English language is James Salter. Many will know his first novel, The Hunters, which was very poorly adapted into the Robert Mitchum film about the Korean war.

Salter flew 100 missions in Korea in F-86s and shot down one Mig. He then flew F-100s in Germany and North Africa. In the late 1950s he retired from the Air Force and went on to become one of the most important authors of the 20th century -- he is an author read by other authors for inspiration. His early works, however, center on flying and life as a fighter pilot.

I recommend that people begin with Gods of Tin, and then move to Cassada. The Hunters should probably be read last. Salter has the power to evoke images and emotions known only to pilots, and his precise use of words can bring you to tears in one sentence.

His writing is not plot centered, and his characters are not always likable -- but they are complex and realistic human beings. Much of Salter's writing is phenomenological. He is able to write clearly and expressively on the emotions that arise when things go wrong in flying -- when you are completely focused on a waivering fuel needle, when you lose your radio and must make a landing on the wing of an unexperienced pilot on a GCA approach, when the weather gets bad and you are lost.

He has won the Pen Faulker award, and recently won the Pen-Faulker lifetime achievement award. He's also a hell of a nice guy. His sentences are masterpieces of American art, and we are lucky that he writes about flying.

I'll leave you with an example:

"You lived and died alone, especially in fighters. Fighters. Somehow, despite everything, that word had not become sterile. You slipped into the hollow cockpit and strapped and plugged yourself into the machine. The canopy ground shut and sealed you off. Your oxygen, your very breath, you carried with you into the chilled vacuum, in a steel bottle."

Whether I am flying in real life, or whether I am flying in the simulator his words and the images of his words are always on my mind.

Cheers,

Chris :salute::salute:

CP1207
February 7th, 2011, 15:21
Lots of great ideas in the Aviation Books thread of the Historical Wings forum here:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?2008-Aviation-Books (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?2008-Aviation-Books)

Well, very nice. Had no idea. Apparently missed the memo. Again :kilroy:

clmooring
February 7th, 2011, 15:27
when I was kid, I read the autobiography of Eddie Rickenbacker. It was a great book and sparked my interest in all things aviation related.

gonzonm
February 7th, 2011, 15:33
i read everything by Coonts. And a lot of milllitary history. now i find my self looking for more ga. to tell the truth i love it all

paulb
February 7th, 2011, 22:06
A few that I enjoyed reading -

Wings on my sleeve - Eric Brown

Spitfire a test pilots story - Jeffrey Quill

Faster than the sun - Peter Twiss

Cheers

Paul

roger-wilco-66
February 8th, 2011, 00:38
At the moment, I'm busy with the SEA scenario:

Christopher Robbins
Air America

re-reading parts constantly because of researching:

Toni Halliday
Flying through Midnight (much recommended !)

already in the pipeline:

Richard Drury
My Secret War

Cheers,
Mark

PS
@Skyblazer: thanks for the input on James Salter. Despite reading a lot and having a large library myself, I haven't heard of him yet. Your description certainly sparked my interest!

Paul K
February 8th, 2011, 01:20
Most recently, 'Sunburst: The Rise of Japanese Naval Air Power 1909-1941' by Mark R. Peattie. An excellent book, and includes a new view on the persistent curiosity of some carriers having the island on the port side.

Before that, 'Kamikaze Diaries' by Emiko Ohnuki-Tierney. Fanatics they most definitely were not.

And before that 'Japanese Destroyer Captain' by Capt. Tameichi Hara IJN. His criticisms of Yamamoto in the wake of the Midway debacle are startling.

Oh and before that, 'Fading Victory', the war diary of Admiral Matome Ugaki.

You can see where my interests lie. I don't get invited to many dinner parties.

W. Bleddyn
February 8th, 2011, 01:27
The list would be tremendous lol

Currently I am re-reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. I read them all about 7 - 8 years ago. Up to book 6 now. Beyond question the most entertaining novels I have ever read.

Paul K
February 8th, 2011, 01:56

Currently I am re-reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series. I read them all about 7 - 8 years ago. Up to book 6 now. Beyond question the most entertaining novels I have ever read.

Yes, they are excellent.

jankees
February 8th, 2011, 03:25
I just finished "Jimmiy Stewart, Bomber Pilot" by Starr Smith, quite a story.
As far as I know, one of the few men in the military that rose from private to full colonel during the war..

SpaceWeevil
February 8th, 2011, 05:19
I love all of Derek Robinson's novels about war in the air and the people who fought it.

War Story (WW1)
Hornet's Sting (WW1)
Goshawk Squadron (WW1)
A Piece of Cake (WW2 Battle of France & Britain)
A Good Clean Fight (WW2 North Africa)
Damned Good Show (WW2 Early British bombers)
Hello Russia, Goodbye England (Vulcan squadron in the Cold War)

If you can't find them secondhand you can buy them direct from the author at http://www.derekrobinson.info/.

Bone
February 8th, 2011, 05:24
Without a doubt, the greatest master of aviation literature in the English language is James Salter.
Chris :salute::salute:

I think I've read something from just about every ex-pilot aviation novel writer out there, except this guy. Of course, I've seen "The Hunter" quite a few times...Robert Wagner's use of Daddy'O still cracks me up...but never read this guys stuff (that I know of).

Something new and exciting for me, thanks.

EDIT: I just ordered "The Hunter", "Cassada", "Gods Of Tin", and "Then And There".

huub vink
February 8th, 2011, 05:42
The last books I did read were "the few" by Alex Kershaw and a few book from the devil princes series by Jack Vance. I had actually read them all before, but that was quite long ago.

On of the advantages from getting older is the fact your memory gets worse. So in a few years I can keep re-reading all my old books again ;)

Cheers,
Huub

b52bob
February 8th, 2011, 06:59
Love Napolian sea stories. The best are the Bolitho series by Alexander Kent and the series by Dewey Lambdin. Warning: Lambdin stories are adult only and are also very funny.

You guys missed the all time classic by Ernie Gann, Fate is the Hunter (no relationship at all to the horrible movie). Follows his career at American from DC-2's to Connies.

clmooring
February 8th, 2011, 08:21

I agree! I read them all.... great series. I hated to finish them.

By the way if anyone is interested, my set is for sale.

rvn817j
February 8th, 2011, 08:40
"Air Vagabonds" by A. Vallone. Single engine (GA) ferrying trans Atlantic and Pacific and over hostile territory. An exciting read!

I would also recommend Chuck Yeager's biography. Another one, but in the war time / helicopter genre is "Chickenhawk" by Robert Mason. Lots of good aviation books out there.

Hurricane91
February 8th, 2011, 12:27
James Salter. Many will know his first novel, The Hunters,...

An excellent recommendation Skyblazer. Inside the Sky by William Langewiesche is an oustanding book on flying by a gifted writer.

warchild
February 8th, 2011, 13:01
The Last book i read cover to cover was "America's Hundred Thousand". Currently I'm studying "Spitfire Mark 9 & 16 Engineered". Its a pretty Amazing book since you can basically buy the book and build he airplane from it and have everything to exact specificaions.. Wonderful Book..

Other books of Interest..
Snow Crash
Anything Star Trek
Anything Star Wars
Assorted Manga

Edit: An interesting Link you all might enjoy http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=aircraft&x=11&y=21

Bjoern
February 8th, 2011, 13:01
Books by content:

- Autobiography of a Fw-190 driver
- One of Edward H. Sims' works about a RAF-USAAF-Luftwaffe comparison
- Interflug
- LSK of the NVA
- Air combat from 1910s to the 1970s

All are in german and I'm too lazy to find out the original titles or translate 'em.

Other than that, I love blogs about airline business or aviation trivia.

Hint: Google Books has a few aviation related ones available for reading online.

wilycoyote4
February 8th, 2011, 13:16
.......... I don't get invited to many dinner parties.
What's a dinner party? Is it like a potluck? Invited myself to my birthday party but forgot about it.

Any book about the SR-71, suggest Richard Grahams latest, very detailed.

Paul K
February 8th, 2011, 16:06
A dinner party...a gathering of people for a dinner.

heywooood
February 8th, 2011, 16:18
I just finished "Jimmiy Stewart, Bomber Pilot" by Starr Smith, quite a story.
As far as I know, one of the few men in the military that rose from private to full colonel during the war..

my favorite person in so many ways - you could look for many lifetimes and not find anyone of such good character.

Jimmy Stewart, may he Rest

Stratobat
February 8th, 2011, 16:34
Been reading a fair amount of books on conflict in Sub-Saharan Africa lately.

Edit: Unrelated to the above but, I received this book as a present last year and had a great time reading it (See Screenshot). It was a little slow for me in the beginning but it gets pretty interesting towards the end.

Regards,
Stratobat

gonzonm
February 9th, 2011, 07:06
my favorite non flying would have to be Bernard Cornwell. anything by him

dharris
February 9th, 2011, 08:07
What's a dinner party? Is it like a potluck? Invited myself to my birthday party but forgot about it.

Any book about the SR-71, suggest Richard Grahams latest, very detailed.

Have you read the Mach 1 books on the sr-71 Sled Driver and The Untouchables by Shul and Watson? very interesting and great pictures as well. I bought both signed copies back in '95, a real good read written by the pilots themselves.

wilycoyote4
February 9th, 2011, 11:19
Have you read the Mach 1 books on the sr-71 Sled Driver and The Untouchables by Shul and Watson? very interesting and great pictures as well. I bought both signed copies back in '95, a real good read written by the pilots themselves.
Yes, great reads and photos
Got a Shul signed book, unique reads.

argo147
February 9th, 2011, 12:58
Yes, great reads and photos
Got a Shul signed book, unique reads.

I have all of the books written by Richard Graham, and I've always been curious about the Shul books. I never bought any because last time I checked they were out of print and the cheapest I could find was around $100. Do they offer anything that the Richard Graham books do not? I always wanted to know but never wanted to fork over the money for one.

delta_lima
February 9th, 2011, 13:15
I have all of the books written by Richard Graham, and I've always been curious about the Shul books. I never bought any because last time I checked they were out of print and the cheapest I could find was around $100. Do they offer anything that the Richard Graham books do not? I always wanted to know but never wanted to fork over the money for one.

My wife bought me Sled Driver. I know she spent a good amount of her personal spending money on it, and to be honest, good a read as it was, I was quite let down, knowing how hard she saved her coffee/spending money to get it for me. She spent over $100 - and it wasn't even for one of those fancy, signed, leather-bound jobbies. Good photos, and a good summary of the missions - but to be honest, for a third the cost, Paul Crickmore's "Lockheed Blackbird" is (IMHO) 10 times the book in terms of long-term value. A close second is Richard Graham's "Flying the Blackbird". I "read" (mostly pictures) Schul's book in less than two hours. It took me almost two months to digest the two aforementioned books together. I can't argue with the pleasure time/cost economics of that equation.

That said, if $100+ for rare Blackbird photos makes sense to you, then it's worth it. But for detailed historical and technical analysis, you could buy Crickmore's and Graham's books - half the cost, and the difference buys a lot of tea, coffee, hootch, or whatever else accompanies you when you read.... :)

Just food for thought.

dl

wilycoyote4
February 9th, 2011, 13:40
I agree with delta_lima completely.

I haven't checked ebay or Amazon for these books for a long time so I'll see what's there out of curiosity. Crickmore did update his big book twice, I think, and the last is the 3rd edition, again I think, bigger, more in it. Graham has more than one book out.

You might try bookstores and google as well.

wilycoyote4
February 9th, 2011, 14:22
...............I've always been curious about the Shul books. I never bought any because last time I checked they were out of print and the cheapest I could find was around $100. Do they offer anything that the Richard Graham books do not? I always wanted to know but never wanted to fork over the money for one.

If you'll check Amazon dot com , seaching for Brian Shul, you'll find several examples of The Untouchables for well under $100 with shipping. They are used. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0929823125/ref=sr_1_2_up_1_main_olp?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297292960&sr=1-2&condition=used

However, I can only try to help, your decision is what matters.

It is not my top reference book but to a collector it is not common.

argo147
February 9th, 2011, 21:59
I'll probably pass on that for the time being, thanks for the info though. Last time I spent that much on a book (Jane's Fighting Ships 07-08) my wife wasn't too happy :violent: So I'll stick to Mr. Grahams great books and my SR-71 and YF-12 flight manuals.

dharris
February 11th, 2011, 05:01
Found these sites with more info for those that want it, also where to buy books only five sled drivers left. Makes me think about selling my Sled Driver and Untouchables signed copies!

https://galleryonepublishing.com/BlackbirdStores/

http://gizmodo.com/#!5511236/the-thrill-of-flying-the-sr+71-blackbird

http://jalopnik.com/#!5532546