PDA

View Full Version : Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3

paulb
February 7th, 2011, 13:31
I have a new pc with a Gigabyte GA-X58-USB3 board fitted with an i7 950 processor. The CD that came with the Gigabyte board include a utility called 'smart 6'. One feature of the utility 'smart quickboost' claims to provide 'quick and effortless overclocking'.

Has anyone used this utility? Does it work (ie overclock)? Are there any risks of overheating?

Thanks

Paul

OleBoy
February 7th, 2011, 21:07
Hey Paul, There are a lot of videos on Google, very descriptive on how to use the Smart 6 program. It looked easy to me. Search Gigabyte Smart 6 and you'll find some good ones by Bioxii. He got it up to 4.2ghz on stock a-data ram with a Corsair H70 cooler.

Hope that helped

paulb
February 7th, 2011, 22:01

I will have a look

Cheers

Paul

Stratobat
February 7th, 2011, 22:59
Hey Paul,

There should also be a program on the disc called EasyTune 6 - Also for overclocking.

Regards,
Stratobat

paulb
February 8th, 2011, 09:47
Hey Paul,

There should also be a program on the disc called EasyTune 6 - Also for overclocking.

Regards,
Stratobat

Hi Stratobat,

Thanks. Yes, that's the one that I have.

Cheers

Paul

txnetcop
February 8th, 2011, 12:41
Hi Stratobat,

Thanks. Yes, that's the one that I have.

Cheers

Paul

Actually your best overclocks are done at the BIOS level Paul. EasyTune6 has a tendency to fail at times if you have a program in your startup file it doesn't like. There is tons of information on overclocking the Gigabyte X58 motherboard on youtube and here in the FSX guides.
Ted

paulb
February 8th, 2011, 13:54
Actually your best overclocks are done at the BIOS level Paul. EasyTune6 has a tendency to fail at times if you have a program in your startup file it doesn't like. There is tons of information on overclocking the Gigabyte X58 motherboard on youtube and here in the FSX guides.
Ted

Thanks Ted,

In truth I thought that I would have to go the BIOS route. I was just hoping that someone might say that EasyTune6 was excellent and easy!!!!!

Cheers

Paul

Stratobat
February 8th, 2011, 15:46
Hi Guys,

I have EasyTune installed on my system at the moment but in truth I have not given it a try yet. I've read mixed opinions on various forums out there but there seems to be a preference for in BIOS overclocking, as Ted mentioned.

As a sidenote, can anybody confirm that it's better to allow the thermal paste to set for roughly 200 hours before overclocking?

I've been told it yields better results?

Regards,
Stratobat

Butcherbird17
February 8th, 2011, 19:51
Stratobat, When i put my rig together 3 years ago, i waited 1 day to start overclocking it.
I couldn't wait any longer.:mixedsmi: Its been going at the same speed ever since. As for easytune6,
i had it installed and played with it, but going the BIOS route gives more options, plus you cant
change the voltage in easytune.

Joe

txnetcop
February 9th, 2011, 01:55
Hi Guys,

I have EasyTune installed on my system at the moment but in truth I have not given it a try yet. I've read mixed opinions on various forums out there but there seems to be a preference for in BIOS overclocking, as Ted mentioned.

As a sidenote, can anybody confirm that it's better to allow the thermal paste to set for roughly 200 hours before overclocking?

I've been told it yields better results?

Regards,
Stratobat

If you are using Artic Silver 5 or Tuniq TX-4 for thermal compound both recommend waiting for 200 hours for optimal cooling results but honestly I overclock usually after a 72 hour burn in on units I build and have never had any adverse effects. Always monitor your temps as you begin your overclock.
Ted

kilo delta
February 9th, 2011, 08:03
I've overclocked straight off the bat...no waiting at all, using artic silver. Never had any issues because of this.

Stratobat
February 11th, 2011, 15:00
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the replies.

If you are using Artic Silver 5 or Tuniq TX-4 for thermal compound both recommend waiting for 200 hours for optimal cooling results but honestly I overclock usually after a 72 hour burn in on units I build and have never had any adverse effects.

Hey Ted,

I'm not sure which thermal compound was used but something I've always wanted to gain a little clarity on is the warranty that comes with motherboards these days.

Once upon a time when you purchased a motherboard, there was no overclocking software. Anything you did had to be done in the BIOS. These days motherboards come with overclocking software and overclocking is almost encouraged, but what happens if you do something that "breaks" the motherboard, is your warranty still in place or is it for your account?

Has anybody ever had a problem similar to this? Was your warranty honoured?

Regards,
Stratobat