PDA

View Full Version : Carenado V35_VC Textures

falcon409
February 6th, 2011, 19:05
Thought I would ask about this before I take this on and then find out someone else has already done it. I'm about to embark on a flight taken from the latest AOPA Magazine "Why Brazil?". I won't go into the story, just suffice to say this guy flies his Bonanza V35 from Burbank to Brazil and back and so I decided to do something I'd never done before which is to fly a slow airplane beyond my normal 100nm limit and see if I can combat the boredom long enough to actually see it through.

So, with that out of the way, seeing as I'm going to be looking at the cockpit a lot during this flight, I'd like it to be in focus, lol. If you have the FS9 V35, you know it isn't (in focus). After looking at the textures, I see why they're out of focus. . . . .the VC panel takes up about 1/2 of a 512x512 texture. . . .and it's already very fuzzy on that texture, so imagine how bad it looks once it loads, lol. Sooooo, is anyone aware of an updated VC texture for this. . .either through Carenado (I didn't find anything on the site), or by someone else?

If not, I'm going to do what I can to make it look as good as possible. Thanks!:salute:

Corsair 14F
February 7th, 2011, 11:16
I sure would love to see the VC upgraded, a real pity that unlike the Archer the V35 was not upgraded for FS9 (i mean up to their most recent standards) me thinks!

falcon409
February 7th, 2011, 11:54
I sure would love to see the VC upgraded, a real pity that unlike the Archer the V35 was not upgraded for FS9 (i mean up to their most recent standards) me thinks!
I couldn't find anything, so I did what I could to make it look a bit better. Increasing the texture file to 1024x1024 helped a lot. My problem right now is that the Bonanza V35 doesn't seem to be able to come even close to matching the specs I found online for performance. Supposedly the normal climb rate is 1100fpm with a max cruise altitude of 17500. Thus far, in tests, it won't climb any better than 500fpm without stalling. Starting at sea level and climbing to 17500 takes about an hour, lol. Mixture adjustments have no effect on engine performance at all. . . .I might as well leave the mixture full rich for all the good it does to adjust it.

Not a real gem as far as I can see. Unless I can find a good reason to the contrary, I''ll probably take another aircraft with better performance. . .otherwise this trip to Brazil will take most of the coming year, lol.:salute:

Willy
February 7th, 2011, 14:30
A good Beechcraft for long trips would be Milton's D18. His Spartan is also a good distance flyer.

I also had a good time flying the FSD Cessna 337 from London to Melbourne.

Drzook
February 7th, 2011, 17:06
Most Bonanzas don't do so well at the higher altitudes due to their naturally aspirated engines. I say most because there has to be at least a few that have turbochargers bolted on (you would think that after HOW long they've been around there would HAVE to be an STC for it).

If you're looking for a good fast GA type plane I've been having a lot of fun lately with the Premaircraft Socata Trinidad TB-21 GT. It's reasonably fast, good looking and the turbocharger gives it a critical altitude of 18000'. My only gripe is that it goes through the virtual avgas like there's no tomorrow but whaddya do...my research is implying that might be accurate, after all that's a TIO-540C under the bonnet, not an O-200. Also the gauges look a bit fuzzy out of the box...just need to sharpen them up by doubling the pixel size in the VC entries on the panel.cfg file (where it says 512,512 just replace with 1024,1024 et cetera)

falcon409
February 7th, 2011, 18:32
. . . . . .If you're looking for a good fast GA type plane I've been having a lot of fun lately with the Premaircraft Socata Trinidad TB-21 GT. It's reasonably fast, good looking and the turbocharger gives it a critical altitude of 18000'. My only gripe is that it goes through the virtual avgas like there's no tomorrow but whaddya do...my research is implying that might be accurate, after all that's a TIO-540C under the bonnet, not an O-200. Also the gauges look a bit fuzzy out of the box...just need to sharpen them up by doubling the pixel size in the VC entries on the panel.cfg file (where it says 512,512 just replace with 1024,1024 et cetera)
Funny you should mention this airplane (I promise this is the first look since I last posted). I settled on Lionheart's Trinidad GT Turbo, lol. It has a cruise altitude of 25,000 and right now I'm making excellent time and will be in Albuquerque in about an hour and a half to refuel. Good call Drzook!!:salute:

Sunny9850
February 8th, 2011, 10:50
There are several options for the Bonanza to Turbo Charge or Turbo Normalize.
As with any normally aspirated engine power decreases greatly as density altitude increases.
The only fix is to get more O2 into the engine.
My real Saratoga can climb even higher than the V35 if one believes her POH. And with a little green bottle of O2 for me to breathe I have had her at 16500' chugging along nicely.
But the only reason other than to see if I can get up there would be cumulus granite. The advantage of flying high is very quickly lost with non turboed engines. And flying around for 4 or 5 hours with O2 cannulas in you nostrils is also of limited fun value.

The challenge of a flight such as you describe it to me is indeed to make it work with a normal GA aircraft. Heck I know a guy who did a similar flight in a 180Hp PA28.
Going to FL250 makes it too easy...might as well take a Lear Jet :)

In FS I flew around all of South America in a Warrior since I did not have a good Archer at the time....leaving my real home base at L67 and returning there after the round robin. I took a long time to be sure but it also was a real challenge.

If someone would like to sponsor my fuel I would love to recreate that flight in the Saratoga.
:ernae:

Stefan

falcon409
February 8th, 2011, 16:33
Always interesting to hear from "been there, done that" pilots Stefan. I think the obvious difference between flying the real flight plan and doing it in Flight Sim is the eye candy factor. Needless to say, in FS the eye candy is very limited and once the aircraft is trimmed out and on course, there's little else to do besides a cursory systems check from time to time. At least in the RW, you'd have an occasional aircraft fly-by, landmarks to peruse and all those tiny little cars and people below to gaze at. Long distance flights to me in FS are about the most boring thing there is to do, especially if it's just you and the airplane.

I'm doing this, just to be able to say I've done it and to never, ever, ever, ever do it again, lol.:salute: