PDA

View Full Version : My visit with Fred Sanders

Navy Chief
February 6th, 2011, 08:12
I just returned home from visiting Fred Sanders. A most rewarding visit, to be sure. Fred is a remarkable man. He retired from the US Navy Reserves as a Commander, and also from NASA. In his lifetime, he has built three airplanes from the ground up; not from kits.

I will have more about my visit with Fred, but wanted to post a question to you folks.

Fred's current system will not run FSX adequately. I suspected that would be the case, and told him to expect to have to buy a new system.

And so I need some suggestions. We're talking about a ready-built system, including a monitor that he can order, plug it in, and start loading.

Price range?

$2500 to $3000.

Ok shipmates, please start making suggestions!

Thanks.

NC

Daveroo
February 6th, 2011, 09:59
im taking a huge risk here..but look at dell.com..i had a dell for years and it worked great,have a dell laptop and have no problems..i have a gateway desktop and it siphons..never had a problem with it...ever..yes ive heard horror stories about dell but i think most people create theyre own problems..not dell..they have a system now that has a 3.something mhz processor,16GB ram i gb video ram.7200rpm hard drive..cant remember all the points to it..but those stick out..was under 2 grand

Navy Chief
February 7th, 2011, 05:43
What about this?

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-alx/pd

Navy Chief
February 8th, 2011, 08:08
I decided on a Alienware setup. Fred is going to order it.

NC

papab
February 8th, 2011, 12:31
Before you order from alienware,give this Company a visit. They are right up the coast from me in Hudson, FL:

http://www.jetlinesystems.com/

Crusader
February 8th, 2011, 12:54
Chief : Fred's system will be twice the punch as mine so FSX should scream . My meager puter is a little over a year old now and was built by a friend of mine and does FSX very well .(Gigabyte GA-EP45C-UD3R/UD3 MB . Q9650/775 LGA 3.0 MHz O'Cd to 3.6 . 4 Gigs DDR3 with an ATI 4890 1 Gig video card) . Very mediocre by today's standards . I can't wait until you get Fred up and running with FSX . With his background he will slide right into it and I think will become addicted like the rest of us . There is so many great people here at SOH , some who are ex-pilots , some who currently fly , long time flight simmers , software and PC experts and we all fit into a strong love for aviation and its history . Again , a great privilege to have Fred on board and thanks to you Chief for sharing his great history .

Semper Fi .
Rich:ernae:

HouseHobbit
February 8th, 2011, 14:21
WOW!!! What a wish list..:applause:

I could never in my Life dream having any of this..
WOW!!!

I am impressed, always wanted a Real Gaming computer, and one set up for Flight Simulator Use Would be a dream come true..

Maybe Santa will bring one this year if I am good..:applause:

No, I've Never been this good...:redf: