PDA

View Full Version : One Gurkha, 40 Bandits, No Contest

safn1949
February 5th, 2011, 18:30
Talk about hardcore....yikes.

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htinf/articles/20110203.aspx

deathfromafar
February 5th, 2011, 19:05
I've always admired and respected the Gurkha's. Absolutely tough as they come. The article is proof yet again of how tough & fierce of fighters they can be.

Tako_Kichi
February 5th, 2011, 19:12
My father fought alongside the Gurkhas during WWII and had nothing but the utmost respect for them and he was a Royal Marine Commando who took part in the D-Day landings.

stiz
February 5th, 2011, 19:22
Any rember last year when a gurka reg was in afganistan and had to capture a taliban leader? If i rember right they got in a firefight and had to get out sharpish but didnt have time to prep the prisoner and what not .. so they just cut his head off as proof they had got him!

SADT
February 5th, 2011, 20:43
What I also find sad, is that the British Govt. hasn't treated them with the respect they deserve. I recall reading about the pension dispute during the the Falklands war I think, and also about the rights of Gurkhas to move to the UK. They have my utmost respect. :salute:

OleBoy
February 5th, 2011, 21:07
Any rember last year when a gurka reg was in afganistan and had to capture a taliban leader? If i rember right they got in a firefight and had to get out sharpish but didnt have time to prep the prisoner and what not .. so they just cut his head off as proof they had got him!

LOL!!! You just proved the old saying... ****!!

You might try actually reading the link in the first post :173go1::applause::applause::applause:

Clarke123
February 6th, 2011, 02:40
What I also find sad, is that the British Govt. hasn't treated them with the respect they deserve. I recall reading about the pension dispute during the the Falklands war I think, and also about the rights of Gurkhas to move to the UK. They have my utmost respect. :salute:

The British government doesn't treat anyone with the respect they deserve. Least of all, active or ex, military personnel. It's not sad, it's bloody tragic.

stiz
February 6th, 2011, 07:41
LOL!!! You just proved the old saying... ****!!

You might try actually reading the link in the first post :173go1::applause::applause::applause:

oops! stopt reading after the train bit :redf:

kilo delta
February 6th, 2011, 07:53
My FIL served overseas with some Gurkhas. Their CO presented him with a Gurkha knife which he still has to this day.

OleBoy
February 6th, 2011, 08:00
My FIL served overseas with some Gurkhas. Their CO presented him with a Gurkha knife which he still has to this day.

I've got an original set. The large was for taking heads, mid-size was for hands, fingers, ears and throats, the small, for self inflicted death to the warrior for drawing the larger of the 3 and did not use them as intended.

kilo delta
February 6th, 2011, 08:05
FIL's is a mid size,iirc. He showed it to me soon after I started dating his daughter. Somehow I don't think it was my hands, fingers, ears or throat that was at risk of amputation!!!! ;p lol :d

OleBoy
February 6th, 2011, 08:20
Hehehe, I was into collecting years ago. One day I was in the big city (seattle) cruising the hawk/pawn shops with my dad when this fella pulled up in front. I saw him get out and immediatley noticed what he was carrying. I got out the front door so fast i bought broke the glass as it hit pipe that stopped it..lol. I gave the $35.00. Dang good price for the set with original sheath!!! I stole it!! Highly collectable and worth several pretty pennies

Tako_Kichi
February 6th, 2011, 08:34
Are you talking about three different sized kukri's OB or a single kukri with it's companion pair?

Usually a kukri comes with two smaller 'knives' (in the same sheath). The karda is an auxiliary knife used for general purpose cutting which the kukri may be too large for while the chakmak is not a knife but a steel-flint striker used for fire lighting and for honing the blades on the two true knives.

OleBoy
February 6th, 2011, 09:09
the one displayed is the similar to my set. Of which I have the matching Kukri in another sheath that was carried behind

wombat666
February 7th, 2011, 02:55
Without going into detail I can say a Ghurkha squad tops my list of 'soldiers' to fight alongside!
Many years ago there was some 'nastiness' going down in Yemen .................. well and truly sorted by a Ghurkha Platoon and an SAS 'Sabre' Squad.
:ernae: