PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Accelerator F-18.

wildcat400
December 1st, 2008, 04:27
Is there a way to change the pilots name on the side of the aircraft, and the plane captains name? (Refer to the circled areas in the photo)

IanP
December 1st, 2008, 08:30
By editing the textures, with a paint package, yes. The only template I'm aware of for the F/A-18, however, comes with the Captain Sim X-Load Hornet (ACES subcontracted them to make the Acceleration Hornet, so the template works with both models) though, which is payware.

Therefore, your best bet is to convert the Hornet textures to bitmap, edit them yourself and then convert them back to .DDS. I'll let one of the more competent repainters explain exactly how! :redf:

Ian P.

wildcat400
December 1st, 2008, 08:42
By editing the textures, with a paint package, yes. The only template I'm aware of for the F/A-18, however, comes with the Captain Sim X-Load Hornet (ACES subcontracted them to make the Acceleration Hornet, so the template works with both models) though, which is payware.

Therefore, your best bet is to convert the Hornet textures to bitmap, edit them yourself and then convert them back to .DDS. I'll let one of the more competent repainters explain exactly how! :redf:

Ian P.

Well pretty much most of that was greek to me. Ha ha... ok... I do have the Captain Sim hornet by the way.

Other than that... so I guess it's not going to be as simple as I thought.

Unless I am wrong...

IanP
December 1st, 2008, 09:09
Basically, each texture that is painted onto the aircraft is a bitmap file, converted into a format that FSX recognises (dds) - you'll find the dds files in each texture folder for the Hornet.

If you have the CS X-Load pack, you can download the repaint kit from their site to see what goes on which texture sheet. You need to edit that file to change the text.

Unfortunately not massively easy. Not too difficult it you know how to drive a paint package such as Paint Shop Pro, GIMP or Photoshop, though. :)

Ian P.

wildcat400
December 1st, 2008, 20:35
Basically, each texture that is painted onto the aircraft is a bitmap file, converted into a format that FSX recognises (dds) - you'll find the dds files in each texture folder for the Hornet.

If you have the CS X-Load pack, you can download the repaint kit from their site to see what goes on which texture sheet. You need to edit that file to change the text.

Unfortunately not massively easy. Not too difficult it you know how to drive a paint package such as Paint Shop Pro, GIMP or Photoshop, though. :)

Ian P.

Nahh. I am not paint or pc savvy. So I guess that my pilot will be a deceased rapper. :mixedsmi: