PDA

View Full Version : AI behavior

KellyB
February 4th, 2011, 12:18
I've set a flight of three ju87's to attack a British cargo ship.

The first thing I notice is that the formation is not an echelon left, rather two birds followed at some 2000 yards by the third.

The first two fly right past the target and go merrily on their way.
The last one dutifully attacks the ship.

Is this how ai enemy bombers behave? Or have I missed something.

It's the differential behavior of the three planes that mystifies me most.

HouseHobbit
February 4th, 2011, 12:32
To get them to attack as you wish, You must set Up a Pair (2) to attack.. then set up another Aircraft to a attack as a single..

To keep them in formation place your way points the same height and speed..
Place them in whatever formation you wish..
You must then make sure your Third, The single is placed with the way points matching the (Dual pairs flight path)..
They will stay in formation and attack at the same time..

Remember the game engine is built so the AI always attack in Pairs, No Matter How many in the formation, Only two will attack at a time..

So to get large formations to attack as one unit you must load them in as two aircraft flights, with matching height and speed, and set your way points so as to allow the pairs to hold whatever formation you want by the placement of the (2) aircraft flights..

KellyB
February 4th, 2011, 12:35
Flights of two, eh? How very USAF!

That's a bit of info about the sim I didn't even suspect, let alone know!

Thanks Owen!

KellyB
February 4th, 2011, 13:36
Is there a difference between a land-based target like the small factory and the ships?

I created a simple ai two-ship attack on a factory, and it works just the way you said it would.

Do the same thing with a British merchant ship, and the first of the two planes flies on by, while the second bombs the ship.

The ships are moving, is the only difference (other than their being on the water...)

HouseHobbit
February 4th, 2011, 13:59
Again you have to side step the game engine, In this case I have placed single aircraft flights set as I explained before..

The game engine with some aircraft will allow only one in a pair to attack, then when the ammo/bombs are expended the second will attack..

But this is dependent on the aircraft used.... Fighter_bomber or level_bomber act differently from each other in attacks..

if you want them to attack all at once to ensure this no matter what aircraft you are using, load them as singles in a formation as before..

Then they will attack together..

The type of target is not a factor is any of this..When set as singles..

The game engine has a random factor built it it that often causes problems in this area..As pairs
You just have to side step it and think outside the Box..

Hobbits hate being stuffed into boxes..:angryfir:

And tossing a Hobbit Sucks too..:angryfir:

Don't tell the Brits... :monkies:

KellyB
February 4th, 2011, 14:26
gee. There are days when I wonder what M$oft had in mind.....lol.

I'll keep pluggin'

Thanks, as always for the pointers.