PDA

View Full Version : Introduction and questions

Tom_1970
December 1st, 2008, 02:32
Hi,

My name is Tom and I live in Zaandam, The Netherlands.
I am a flightsimmer since version 4 and I am planning to buy a new PC system and FSX this month.

I have already read a lot of useful information on this forum so I decided to join this community.

My current system has had it's time to put it gently and I am looking for a new system. A lot of things changed since I bought my last computer, so I did a lot of reading. The internet is very infomative and very confusing at the same time. Although I already read a lot of interesting things on this forum, I still have some questions.

The system I have in mind right now:

Motherboard: P5q pro
CPU: Core2Duo E8600
Ram: 4GB DDR2-800
GPU: 4870 X2
Power: Corsair 650W

My main doubt is about the CPU and GPU.
On many sites there is a lot of contradicting information about Duo and Quad core processors.
The same with GPU.
So for me it comes down to two choices.

1. Do I better get me a E8600 or a Q9400 CPU?
2. Which graphic card should I prefer: 4870 X2 or GTX280?

I am planning to fly with FSX with PMDG aircraft and VFR photographic scenery (britain), VFR London and VFR Netherlands.
I also want to install my good old FS2004.

Although I understand that there are already several topics like this, I hop you are willing to advise me with the specific choices I have.

Regards,

Tom

fcfcfc
December 1st, 2008, 03:35
Tom, I have been struggling with a similar decision between the duo core and quad core. There have been some very helpful suggestions and advice from other members in another thread (duo core vs quad core) I posted also.

What I noticed in your spec are two things - RAM and graphics card. I think it would be much better to go for a faster DDR2 RAM without having to pay anywhere near proportionately more for the increased performance. From what I have read, a x2 GPU is wasted on flight simulator. I have homed in on a 4870x1 with 1GB. I think a DDR2 1066 plus a 4870 1GB would be a cheaper but better performing combination for FS (I do not know if that would be a bottleneck for other games and applications because I am a non-gamer).

Also, I have been told to go for a 800W PSU especially if I have any temptation to overclock. I have not sought much advice on this or done any research though.

I could barely even call myself a novice at buidling and FS. So, please correct me if I am completely wrong on this.

Tom_1970
December 1st, 2008, 04:27
Thanks for your reply.

Your suggestion of the faster ram is a good one I think. It 'll cost me just a few bucks more.

About the graphics card. I consider the 4870 x2 for it's overall performance and with a view to the future.
The problem is that it isn't very clear to me what it will do with FSX when I read the different site on it.
Some people claim the GTX280 outperform the 5870 range by far, but when I see this movie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXbcqDRHVjA I think FSX runs very smooth.

So if there are any 4870 x2 users here, I like to hear your experiences with this card in combination with FSX.

Butcherbird17
December 1st, 2008, 05:48
Hello Tom and welcome to SOH.

This thing about dual verses quad really comes down to what you do with your rig. If you are just a gamer a dual core would be the way to go, if you are a multi tasker quad is what you want. Fsx will take advantage of all the cores on either one. Right now the e8600 is the fastest dual core out there and I don't think that intel will be releasing a dual on the new core i7 socket (atleast I haven't read anything about one). So this might be the last of the dual cores. (I could be wrong:kilroy:)
Right now the 4870x2 is the fastest vid card out, although fsx will not take advantage of the dual cores (fsx is more cpu dependent) it will still be a beast and if you are a gamer would be a great investment. Don't get me wrong, im a Nvidia fanboy:friday:and the GTX280 is a great card, but right now ATI has taken the crown for top dog in vid cards.:ernae:
As for PSU's having the bigger one is always good, the newer vid cards are power hungry and if you decide to go SLI or Crossfire (dual or Tri) the bigger the PSU the better. You want to make sure that the PSU is a rated 80+ and with the new vid cards has both the 6 and 8 pin connectors with the proper voltage going through each rail. If you go with the Corsair brand go with the HX series as these are real good psu's. If you go with the 650w (which I think is more then enough) you should be alright running the 4870x2.
My rig in my sig I use a Hiper 530w running the 8800gts (g92), 6x120mm case fans, 3 hd/d's, 2 optical drives and im overclocking the cpu and memory and its only using 350w total. My next build I will go with the bigger psu as I plan on going Tri-SLI/crossfire and will need the extra watts for the vid cards.

Joe

harleyman
December 1st, 2008, 10:17
From what I hear a quad will be superior for FS11 due out in a year.....

With that in mind I now run the E8600 at stock speeds and its very good..I have also run a Q6600 Oced to 2.42 and a Q9550 OCed to 3.8..

I perfer the duo E8600 personally.......

I also run the 4870X2 and although FSX will not use it all other games I play will..And again I hear that FS11 will use SLI or CrossfireX.....But the card is fast,and runs hot,but has a built in Fan controller in the control panel and I run mine at 100% always....The color and debth is far superion with this card IMO...

If you go with the 4870X2 get the Vision tech..its the only one with a lifetime warrenty out .....

And welcome...your rig is very simular to mine....

ase: Thermaltake VH8000BWS BK
Power: ThermalTake W0178RU 850W RT SLI Edition
MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-X48-DQ6 775 X48
CPU: INTEL|C2D E8600 3.33G 775 6M
CPU Cooler: Artic Pro 7
GPU: VISIONTEK Radion 900250 HD4870X2 2G
Mem: OCZ 2X2 @ 1066
HD1: Seagate 750Gig @ 7,200 32 Mb Cache
HD2: 300G VelociRaptor @ 10,000
HD3: 150 gig Raptor @ 10,000 (fried the boot sector) thats why LOL

Tom_1970
December 1st, 2008, 10:41
Thanks guys.
Step by step I will get to my system and I have still three weeks before I have to make up my mind. ;-)

Interesting system you have Harleyman.
Does FSX run smoothly on it?
You mentioned the superior color and depth, but do you also have a decent framerate?

I am a technical noob who just wants to have fun with his new system so forgive me the maybe sometimes silly questions.
There is just so much to take in mind. Al these considerations...it almost gives me a headache. :icon_lol:

harleyman
January 6th, 2009, 11:48
Tom..Sorry for the late reply...It is a fairly new system when I put FSX on it..I had some ongoing issues for a while till I stumbled across what was wrong..I forgot to flash the bios...DUH...

By that time FSX was off and FS9 was back on..

It did however fly it steady as heck ,frames locked at 35,traffic at 100% and most to all sliders right.....It was beautiful......But my bios problem gave me really strange screen rippeling...Uf the likes no one has ever seen or experienced...:whistle:

But there are quite a few folks here with very simular computers just as mine,as we all got the help from a master builder,txnetcop....

They all too run flawless...

I have not put back on FSX as I've just gotten back into FS9 for a while now...