PDA

View Full Version : NO WAY I am the first one here to see this!!!

Felixthreeone
February 3rd, 2011, 20:16
http://simflight.com/2011/02/02/boeing-stearman-by-proptrash-a-new-record-for-fs2004-models/

....Guest editorial by none other than the legendary William Ortis. Tip of the hat, Sir...:salute:

mgchrist5
February 3rd, 2011, 21:05
That's news to me (for whatever that's worth!)

That Stearman might break a few download records when it's released. Thanks for the heads-up!

phantomx1
February 3rd, 2011, 21:10
Sounds interesting. Be nice to try out this new process model and see how well they run.

falcon409
February 3rd, 2011, 21:31
Yep pretty awesome in many respects. . .first that what you see in the screens is actually an FS9 model and second, that when it is released, he'll be releasing it as freeware. Bill's been showing it off over on his facebook page.:salute:

euroastar350
February 3rd, 2011, 22:49
I got a copy of that bird as well, I haven't shown any shots of it yet.

euroastar350
February 3rd, 2011, 23:47
And my screenshots of this beautiful bird are here (http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=92539&id=1637963844)

stansdds
February 4th, 2011, 01:51
I went to FSX for the more detailed aircraft, better default terrain mesh and better default scenery. This certainly destroys the more detailed aircraft in FSX reason.

Chacha
February 4th, 2011, 04:05
Yes!

Incredible modeler, Prop Trash, is!
This is HUGE!

:ernae:

Wild Bill Kelso
February 4th, 2011, 04:51
I always thought that David Eckert's legendary Stearman was impossible to beat - but this looks like a dangerous competitor...
Amazing to see how far FS2004 modeling can be pushed.

Great stuff!

Cheers,
Markus.

Milton Shupe
February 4th, 2011, 04:55
Amazing stuff and a load of time and fun to build it I bet, but what a treasure, huh?

Cazzie
February 4th, 2011, 06:07
:jump::jump::jump::applause::applause::applause:

ThinkingManNeil
February 4th, 2011, 07:45
Jaw, I'd like you to meet floor. What a gorgeous looking model! And keep in mind that PC's keep getting faster, memory cheaper, and hard drive capacity larger. FS2004 ain't dead yet! I think that we should petition Microsoft to ensure that any new operating systems they come out with continue to be compatible with FS2004. I'd heard that Windows Vista and FS9 didn't always jibe as smoothly as Windows 7 seems to be doing, so it'd be nice to have any future operating systems still be able to run FS9 for the foreseeable future so it can handle advancement's like Bill Ortis' and PropTrash's work.

I salivate at the thought of an AT-6/SNJ Texan given this treatment. That and WACO Classic Aircraft Corporation's WACO YMF-5 (http://www.wacoclassic.com) and a Spitfire Mk.Vb or Mk.IX.

N.

Tom Clayton
February 4th, 2011, 08:55
I think this was posted here pre-crash, but it's good to let it see light over here again. It's getting me in the mood to fire up Dave's Stearman again until this one comes out!

OleBoy
February 4th, 2011, 10:46
H O L Y ..C O W :icon_eek:

S L O B B E R I N G ...P R O F U S E L Y

Kiwikat
February 4th, 2011, 10:54
Gee. They could have done this in FSX years ago...

Gotta love those low res runway textures.

I guess I don't get it? :wiggle:

OleBoy
February 4th, 2011, 10:58
Gee. They could have done this in FSX years ago...

Gotta love those low res runway textures.

I guess I don't get it? :wiggle:

could have and didn't :wavey:

FSX modelers getting a run for their abilities

Kiwikat
February 4th, 2011, 11:03
could have and didn't :wavey:

Look out FSX modelers!!

I mean the modeling looks nice, but it doesn't affect the texture limitations nor how the plane flies or sounds. Adding something like Accusim to a Stearman would be a lot more exciting than adding more polys. Having more polygons doesn't make a product better. You can make a low poly model look wonderful with detailed textures. You can't make a high poly model look wonderful with poor textures. I guess I just don't understand the point of adding more polys into FS9. It isn't going to revive the sim.

:salute:

OleBoy
February 4th, 2011, 11:22
Well, going based on what I've seen come to light in the last months I'm real optimistic of new breakthroughs. Proptrash started the venture, Bill ran with it and last I knew was digging deep into it in a real positive direction. Based on what Bill has shown us this far my eyes are open wide in lou of a positive outcome as it's soon to be right in front of our eyes to see for ourselves.
...As for FSX, currently I'm in the dark with anything but a lack lustre experience. Granted FSX has it's advantages over the older sim all the way round but, those that fly FSX exclusively are, and will be eventually at a stalemate like the earlier. When that time comes no one knows. MS Flight is right around the corner. Who knows how many will take that ride to start the process all over again. I surely won't.

IMO, I see FS2004 already proven. People know what to expect at full sliders. The developers left it. Not the simmers who see the strength in whats obviously still there. And, there's no need to constantly play the upgrade game because FS9 is already set in stone. And that mold may get refined. Who knows.

Volker Böhme
February 4th, 2011, 11:37
Hi,

by now, FSX is set in stone as well, and it'll be 'obsolete' with the release of MS Flight...

Best regards,
Volker

teeps
February 4th, 2011, 14:35
It isn't going to revive the sim.

It doesn't need reviving, it's alive and well in my house.

Kiwikat
February 4th, 2011, 14:40
It doesn't need reviving, it's alive and well in my house.

Way to ignore everything else I said.

At the risk of this getting ugly, my participation in this thread will cease. :wavey:

Tom Clayton
February 4th, 2011, 15:23
FS9 developers don't have to settle for low-rez textures at all. From nose to tail, the texture map for Posky's 747-400 is 2432 pixels. All you have to do is slice up a fuselage side among two or three 1024² texture sheets and you can have all the detail you can stand. 95% of the time, that will only be displayed at 800-900 pixels on the screen, and often quite a bit less - much less in Tower View. So what good is all that detail if it's lost because of distance? All it does is eat up hard-disk space.

The majority of the planes I still fly are actually four years old or more. As long as the textures aren't just plain fugly, as long as the plane has all the "usual" animations, as long as it flies the way my very subjective beliefs say it should, and as long as it doesn't bring my system to its knees, that's all I need. And I dare say that's all 99% of us need.

Edit: Mind you, I'm talking about freeware here. I'm pretty sure that Bill's new GMax methods are going to toss the payware bar so high that a lot of the big design houses will be sweating bullets in the near future!

Felixthreeone
February 4th, 2011, 15:51
FS9 developers don't have to settle for low-rez textures at all. From nose to tail, the texture map for Posky's 747-400 is 2432 pixels. All you have to do is slice up a fuselage side among two or three 1024² texture sheets and you can have all the detail you can stand. 95% of the time, that will only be displayed at 800-900 pixels on the screen, and often quite a bit less - much less in Tower View. So what good is all that detail if it's lost because of distance? All it does is eat up hard-disk space.

The majority of the planes I still fly are actually four years old or more. As long as the textures aren't just plain fugly, as long as the plane has all the "usual" animations, as long as it flies the way my very subjective beliefs say it should, and as long as it doesn't bring my system to its knees, that's all I need. And I dare say that's all 99% of us need.

Edit: Mind you, I'm talking about freeware here. I'm pretty sure that Bill's new GMax methods are going to toss the payware bar so high that a lot of the big design houses will be sweating bullets in the near future!

...I don't think i could have said it any better!

vonernsk
February 5th, 2011, 07:35
I feel like stone-age man looking at a Rolex . . . . . .

OleBoy
February 5th, 2011, 07:51
Tom, you cut the pie up pretty well in my eyes. I'll take a second helping any day it gets offered. :)
....Come to think of it, last I recall (no names mentioned intentionally) there are a few very nice models coming in the near future.

Fnerg
February 5th, 2011, 08:19
I mean the modeling looks nice, but it doesn't affect the texture limitations nor how the plane flies or sounds. Adding something like Accusim to a Stearman would be a lot more exciting than adding more polys. Having more polygons doesn't make a product better. You can make a low poly model look wonderful with detailed textures. You can't make a high poly model look wonderful with poor textures. I guess I just don't understand the point of adding more polys into FS9. It isn't going to revive the sim.

If you don't know the process involved or what it means to be able to add more polys to an FS9 model, it's easy to say such things. Traditionally developers were limited to a fixed number of polygons permitted. To go over that number would crash the model rendering process. Also they were limited to a 4mm weld which means, any detail, switch or button smaller than a .004 one created in Gmax would be crumpled in the simulator. Not very pretty. Prop Trash and Bill have figured out how to "trick" the rendering process using something similar to creating LOD's and resizing the model which makes MakeMdl "think" the model is larger than therefore will render far more detail. This is an amazing revelation to aspiring FS9 developers like myself. I am using this technique with Bill's help in my Firefly to really replicate the cockpit detail as best I can. Without the use of this " new" technique, simplistic details like real-like switches, small nobs, protruded bolts and nuts, were just not possible. Now it's possible to do all this. Since I am a new developer, I want to learn this process. It's exciting, and a lot of fun. The immersion factor of the sim just went up 10 fold. Hats off to Prop Trash for sharing this " expensive" knowledge to the flightsim community for free. Hopefully it will encourage new developers, like me.

flaminghotsauce
February 7th, 2011, 04:37
That is one MUST-HAVE airplane! Just wow...

sctybdy
February 7th, 2011, 07:21
I'm so excited to see all the really neat stuff being created by all of you super dooper fs designers. I was looking at a few of the stock fs9 airplanes last night (Extra 300, Caravan) Etc. They look amaturish by today's standards. I know nothing about designing or painting this stuff, but I thought I'd take a moment and say "Thanks" for all you guys and gals out there doing this stuff; For pushing the boundaries of and making flightsim that much more enjoyable. I certainly appreciate it. Keep up the good work, and I'm absolutely thrilled to see this new stearman coming down the pipe!!!!!:salute: