PDA

View Full Version : Flying Through Midnight

casey jones
February 2nd, 2011, 08:33
has anyone read this very good book? It is in Laos 1970, I wish there were pictures so that I can see where Capt Haliday attemped to land and what it was like it is hard to imagine this air field at night. But I loved the book I flew on C-123s 1965-1967 in Vietnam. I had to bail out of one near Da nang.

Cheers

Casey

Daveroo
February 2nd, 2011, 09:30
thanks for the info...were you a pilot or?....

and another great Vietnam era book is "chickenhawk" by robert mason...

great first hand story of his helicopter time

casey jones
February 2nd, 2011, 10:12
Hi Daveroo,

I was just flying dowm from Phu Bai air base to catch the 707 to go home, as we approached Da nang one engine stared spraying oil then it caught fire, the crew chief buckled me up with my parachute and I walked out the ramp.

Cheers

Casey

Crusader
February 2nd, 2011, 10:26
Hi Daveroo,

I was just flying dowm from Phu Bai air base to catch the 707 to go home, as we approached Da nang one engine stared spraying oil then it caught fire, the crew chief buckled me up with my parachute and I walked out the ramp.

Cheers

Casey

It sounds like you checked out the scenery around DaNang the hard way . What time of the year was it in 67 ? I was stationed there until late July 67 and then took the same kind of wheels home as you did ----707(DaNang-to Okinawa-to Travis AFB-to El Toro MCAS .

A few of my favorite Vietnam books : "Cheating Death" about Combat Air Rescues in RVN and Laos , " A Hundred Feet Over Hell" about FAC missions using the O-1 Bird Dog , and "Naked In Da Nang" using the O-2 on FAC missions . Thanks for the HU , I'll be looking for "Flying Through Midnight"

Rich

aeromed202
February 2nd, 2011, 10:59
Chickenhawk is a superb book. I lost it somewhere in the past and wanted to read it again so I hit the second-hand book store a few times until a copy showed up. Imagine my surprise when I got home and opened it up to see it was signed by the author. I am now sniffing around for his sequel Back in the World. I was very happy to see that there was life of some sort after the first book. Now I want to find Flying Through Midnight too. Thanks for the tip.

Jagdflieger
February 2nd, 2011, 12:37
I read "Flying through Midnight" a few years ago when it was first published. I thought it was a pretty good book that gave some insight into the USAF side of the "Igloo White" program. I particularly found the description of the C2 and intel center for the project interesting as I assisted in placing some of those sensors along "the trail." All I knew at the time was that they were monitored via EC 121s and then the info was processed somewhere in Thailand. After reading the book, I now know a little more of the story from beyond my own little myopic view of the operation.

Casey, I've also jumped from the old Provider.