PDA

View Full Version : FSX on a dedicated HD

paulb
February 1st, 2011, 21:48
Hi

As this is only a semi-technical question, I thought that I would post it here.

I am setting up a new pc (which has a few drives) and an option is to install FSX on a dedicated HD (a SSD) ie not my W7 boot drive. Searching various forums, I see that some people have done the same thing.

Just one question - is there any problem with doing this? Have you encountered any problems in installing FSX or add on aircraft and scenery to other than the 'normal' windows boot drive?

I expect it will all be ok, but I would be most grateful for any comments before I do it!

Thanks

Paul

Roger
February 1st, 2011, 23:07
Auto installers will have to be guided to the non-default location and any updates of course but otherwise it shouldn't be a major problem.

CodyValkyrie
February 1st, 2011, 23:39
I've been running FSX on a seperate drive for a while right now. I recommend it. As suggested some installers will need to be pointed. Piece O' Cake. I have encountered no other issues (that I can think of).

-Cody

stiz
February 2nd, 2011, 00:24
Just one question - is there any problem with doing this? Have you encountered any problems in installing FSX or add on aircraft and scenery to other than the 'normal' windows boot drive?

I expect it will all be ok, but I would be most grateful for any comments before I do it!

If FSX is allready installed make sure you uninstall it properly otherwise it wont let you reinstall it! you can fix it but its a pain. Other than that i've had no problems with fsx on a different drive :wavey:

Daube
February 2nd, 2011, 00:58
I have Win7 64, and my FSX is installed on a dedicated SSD drive.
There are absolutely no issues to expect at all :)

paulb
February 2nd, 2011, 01:44
Excellent!

Thanks Roger, Cody, stiz and Daube for taking the time to advise me :applause:

Cheers

Paul

muletrain
February 2nd, 2011, 18:06
Have W7 64 with FSX on separate SSD > no problem.

Brings up question regarding installation into Program Files vs Program Files (x86) on W7 64.
Mine installed into Program Files and have had no problem.

What I know about W7 could be put nicely into a thimble though...:isadizzy:

spotlope
February 2nd, 2011, 21:08
Auto installers will have to be guided to the non-default location and any updates of course but otherwise it shouldn't be a major problem.

And even then, only sloppily coded installers will need to be pointed. Most of the ones I've used have read my FSX location from my registry and gotten it right without my intervention.

paulb
February 2nd, 2011, 22:23
Thanks chaps :applause:

Well, I collected the new pc yesterday and my elder son will be fitting the SSD and loading W7 over the weekend for me. Then it will be time to load FSX/Acc and my favourite add-ons.

I am still undecided whether to put W7 on the SSD with FSX or to to put the OS onto the boot HD and keep the SSD exclusively for FSX. It's really just a size issue for me. I would prefer to put both onto the SSD for speed, but the SSD is only 128GB.

Paul K
February 2nd, 2011, 23:22
As above.

I have FSX on a dedicated 300Gb Velociraptor and sometimes have to specify the installation path ( in this case D:\Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X ). Most of the time, however, the installer finds it without a problem, as most recently with the Aerosoft Huey.

Never had a moment's bother with this set-up.

EDIT: PaulB, keep your OS on a separate drive.Thats the whole point of having a dedicated FSX drive !

bstolle
February 3rd, 2011, 00:52
I also have w7 and FSX on 2 separate SSD drives. Loading times are very short :) and my FSX SSD is ony 128GB.
That's great because it keeps me from installing planes and sceneries I almost never use.
So far not even 50% are used!

paulb
February 3rd, 2011, 01:38
As above.

PaulB, keep your OS on a separate drive.Thats the whole point of having a dedicated FSX drive !

Do you know if have the OS on a 'normal' 7200 HD will in any way slow down the loading of FSX (when FSX is on the SSD)? That's why I am still considering if I should put both on the SSD.

kilo delta
February 3rd, 2011, 01:40
Stick the OS on the SSD with FSX on a separate drive (not necessary to go for a SSD drive for your sim install).

wiltzei
February 3rd, 2011, 02:03
I bought a WD1002FAEX about an year ago, because WD´s Black series is often associated with good reliability & performance. Reviews were also good. My point of view at the time of purchase was that an adequate HDD might be a good investment, although one should rarely invest in rapidly developing hardware.

It has been a good drive. I´ve probably sen a bit less blurries than with a slower drive. It´s a bit noisy, though. IO-operations per second and random read time are probably the numbers to look for. NickN has written a some kind of guide, which ought to be checked out.

Bone
February 3rd, 2011, 02:27
I've had FSX on a separate HD, and I've had it on the same HD as the OS, and each FSX install had the exact same aircraft addons, with scenery on a third drive. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference in load times.

I do get a performance increase by keeping my Scenery addons (especially photoscenery) on a drive of it's own.

paulb
February 3rd, 2011, 04:26
Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated :applause:.

I perhaps should explain that on my current system I use OrbX scenery much of the time. Currently, I often change aircraft and location in game. I can be waiting around for minutes whilst such a change in game takes place. Its beginning to spoil my enjoyment of using the new scenery. That is my main reason for buying the SSD. I realise that using a SSD for my OS will speed up loading programmes in general use. Ideally, I would buy two SSDs - one of the OS and one for FSX - or just buy a really big SSD for both. I cant afford either of these options.

wiltzei
February 3rd, 2011, 05:18
By the way, initial load times around 6% mark will vastly improve by disabling unnecessary sceneries (especially photo-sceneries) from the Scenery Library. The easiest way to accomplish it is to use a third-party application such as Addit! Pro.

paulb
February 3rd, 2011, 11:51
By the way, initial load times around 6% mark will vastly improve by disabling unnecessary sceneries (especially photo-sceneries) from the Scenery Library. The easiest way to accomplish it is to use a third-party application such as Addit! Pro.

Apart from all of the OrbX NA scenery, I only have GEX and UTX Europe plus all of the UK2000 UK airports installed. It was only after I bought a lot of the OrbX scenery that my loading times increased significantly. Their scenery is excellent and I love using it. But it has caused me to buy a SSD to reduce the loading times.