PDA

View Full Version : MULTILOD Question

Steve2112
February 1st, 2011, 16:25
:kilroy: Hello Good People,

I have a MultiLOD BGL question that I hope one of you experts can assist me with.

I have created a new scenery BGL using GMAX and I would like to turn it into a Multilod BGL or convert it rather to a MultiLOD BGL.

My question is now what method should I use to create a Multilod BGL?

Do I convert my scenery.BGL to a MultiLOD.BGL prior to exporting it from GMAX? Say compile all Multilod’s in GMAX and then export? As one single file or rather scenery.BGL file?

Do I create single Multilod’s bgl files in GMAX then export them and combine together them some how using MakeMDL and so forth?

Not sure where to go from here any assistance would be awesome.

Thanks

Steve2112

Rami
February 1st, 2011, 16:28
Steve,

Simonu would be the person most able to answer your question with specifics. Other great Gmax modelers include Pen32Win and Brunosk. You might get results quickly if you send a PM to Simonu or Pen32Win on this question.

Steve2112
February 1st, 2011, 16:32
Will do Rami,

Thanks

Pen32Win
February 1st, 2011, 20:46
PM back at ya Steve.... I hope it helps, I'm busting a Memory Cap as is trying to get back in the swing of things myself.

Robert John
February 2nd, 2011, 03:20
Hi
to make LODs there is a tutorial in the fs2004 gmax gamepack
ie Make a dummy name it xxxx make Lod models xxxx_LOD_100 link to dummy, xxx_LOD_??? link to dummy.
You can use
_lod_100 Down to

_lod_010

And I think you can use lod numbers like _LOD_77 but not to sure
The more lods the larger the bgl, I do three or four lods for each model,
The busyier the scenery is the shorter the distance they pop up same with bigger objects.
Some times the objects have to show the change if the scenery is complex lots of objects over larger areas to make the game frame rate friendly.
This is my opinion.
Robert John

erufle
February 2nd, 2011, 03:39
Pen! long time no see. Glad you are back.

Pen32Win
February 2nd, 2011, 08:16
Depending on the size and complexity of the object, if it includes crew members, total poly count, etc. I've used as many as 5 LOD's. The 40mm Ground Mount I did has LOD's 10, 30, 60, 80 and 100. It provides a smooth transition between models as well as very good FPS when used in high numbers.

tobob
February 2nd, 2011, 09:25
Hey guys this might apply to scenery also.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=40044

tobob

Pen32Win
February 2nd, 2011, 10:48
One thing that thread reminded me of was the parts grouping issue. I'll use my old 40mm again as an example. When I was building it I had created several groups of parts. A Barrel/Reciver Group, a Mount Group, a Base Group for ease of moving them around as I was working. Before Importing each LOD into the Final GMax file and Linking it to the Dummy Object I remember having to "Ungroup" these parts and then selecting everything and creating just one group whos name included the LOD_##. Then saving each LOD File in this fashion before pulling all of the LOD Models together.

The other thing that stuck me from that threat was the Part Name issue and including the LOD_## in the individual part names...... Gotta look at that tonight....

Thanks for the link tobab...

Steve2112
February 2nd, 2011, 16:08
Great Feed Back Guys - Thanks tobob for the link. Great Info!

So at this stage I will begin to MultiLOD my object. (Lighthouse)
Here are a couple photos of my work so far.

As you can see there is no texture yet but all the detail is complete. I had a heck of a time getting the glass to become transparent and the shade I liked.
The lighthouse is a little out of scale but this is my prototype. The completed Lighthouse will be to scale.
It's completely destructible, emits light (White Flash followed by Red) and smoke in the chimney. Frame rates look really great although I have not loaded down a mission yet and fully tested it.
So now off to decipher some MultiLOD Code.

:salute: Steve2112

Robert John
February 3rd, 2011, 00:49
Looking Nice
How did you do the glass at the top.
Did you model the glass and transoms, did you clone and flip the polys.
on the railings you can model both sides and use a alpha channel texture.
By modeling both sides only on areas you need them you can save polys.
I have mentioned the graphic card reads triangles
eg
A cube in gmax has 6 faces and 4 vertices.
The graphic card reads
12 Triangls 24 vertices.
this is why one should try to keep models simple and delete hidden polys.
I dont always delete all hidden polys but do try to keep models simple.
Hope you make It destroyable.
Robert John.

rhumbaflappy
February 3rd, 2011, 06:20
As some of you may note, I really like using Arno Gerretsen's ModelConverterX.

It has a function to automatically create LODs, and add them to the .x file export. Then drag'n'drop the .x file onto whatever version of MakeMDL you desire.

The LODs are OK for simple objects.

Dick

Steve2112
February 3rd, 2011, 12:52
:kilroy: LOL - Yeah the glass was not easy to create, for me at least at first.
But it's extremely easy actually.
Basically all you do is create a SIMPLE object in GMAX reduce/delete all unnecessary face's and vertices’. With the reduced object selected press "M" this brings up the material editor.
At this point you can choose any color you like for the object but let’s just create a new material and call it glass.
Click the "New" button and select "Standard" Enter a name in the field and call it Glass.
Check that the "Shader Basic Parameters" are set to Blinn. (Don't check 2-sided).
On the "Blinn Basic Parameters" change you’re "Ambient" to 0.0.0.
Change your "Diffuse" to 13.50.1.
Change your "Specular" 229.229.229.
Change your "Self-Illumination" to 9 and change your "Opacity" to between 20 & 40.
The Opacity is the key, the lower this number the more transparent your glass will become.
So at this point click apply then on the "Modifier List" select UVW Mapping.
You’re done.
Ok so now I have some questions – RJ, the “LOD’s” tutorial you say exists in the FS2004 GMAX game pack is not in mine or at least I’m not seeing one with that title. Do you know the name of the one you’re referring to on your system? Or where I can get a copy?
Dick – I have downloaded ModelConverterX 1.2 at what stage in the BGL creation should I use this?
Any help here would be great.

Thanks.

Steve2112

sc7500
February 3rd, 2011, 14:06
For the SDK File:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/downloads/fs2004_sdk_gmax_setup.exe

sc7500
February 4th, 2011, 07:18
...For the SDK File:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/downloads/fs2004_sdk_gmax_setup.exe ...

I have been informed that the attached file [GMax portion of FS2004 SDK] may be Payware, NOT freeware as I thought. Considering I downloaded it as Freeware from another respected website, it didn't occur to me that it might not be a freebie ! :isadizzy:

I have deleted the attachment from my file group, and request that the above post be deleted as well - I can not delete it from my end !

Thanx
SC
:kilroy:

Rami
February 4th, 2011, 07:25
sc7500,

I am discussing this with staff, and I ask in the interim that no one download the file package. Please follow the honor system in the interim.

sc7500
February 4th, 2011, 07:39
...I am discussing this with staff, and I ask in the interim that no one download the file package. Please follow the honor system...

Thank You ! :wavey:
SC
:kilroy:

Robert John
February 4th, 2011, 07:50
I don't Think it is, I never paid for for it
You can get it free from microsoft and fsdeveloper.
I think the sdk for fsx working with 3dmax is payware
Robert John http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/icons/icon26.gif

rhumbaflappy
February 4th, 2011, 10:40
The CFS2 gamepack uploaded here contains the FS2002 FSModelExp.dle There is no MS SDK for CFS2 regarding Gmax. This has been created for this upload.

FS2002 FSModelExp.dle was never part of any SDK... it is only available to buyers of the FS2002 PRO version. There is no permission to redistribute that file from Microsoft. In fact, that is one of the few reasons you would buy the Pro version, much like why you would buy the FSX Deluxe version ( same restriction ).

FSdeveloper.com does have an official FS2002 MakeMDL SDK link, but that only contains the official MakeMDL.exe and the supporting docs. FSDeveloper does not have any FS2002 FSModelExp.dle file available, as that would be illegal. FS2002 FSModelExp.dle is not part of any SDK.

FSDeveloper.com has that SDK because if you can obtain an .x file of a scene, you can then drop the .x file onto the FS2002 MakeMDL, and it will produce a valid FS2002 BGL. This is still being used as groundpolys do not work well in FSX unless they are from FS2002's MakeMDL.

In FS2004, an SDK was released that had a gamepack for Gmax. That gamepack does contain FSModelExp.dle, but it only works to produce an FS2004 MDL file... not a FS2002 BGL, and it cannot work in CFS2. If you intercept the .x file, you can run it through FS2002 MakeMDL to get a valid BGL... or you can create an .x file with Arno Gerretsen's ModelConverterX, to get an .x file, and run that through FS2002 MakeMDL.

The FS2002 MakeMDL.exe was in an SDK and is legal for redistribution. The SDK was made available as the MakeMDL that shipped with the FS2002 Pro version was defective. The FS2002 FSModelExp.dle is not part of any SDK and cannot be redistributed.

Dick

Rami
February 4th, 2011, 12:50
Dick and others,

I have turned off and disabled the download in the archive, I hope this satisfies all parties. See for yourself...

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/page.php?lloc=downloads&loc=downloads&page=info&FileID=6922

If it can be repackaged and uploaded without the file in question, let's do that. Otherwise, the situation has been resolved.

Thanks,

simonu
February 5th, 2011, 06:13
I think the problem here is that the CFS2 gamepack readme claims the included plugins that are different from those that were on the FS2k2 pro disks when in fact they are the same.
Rami, Could we not repackage the file and declare that it is in fact a rework of the FS2K2 pro game pack?
As Dick says, That export module is the only one that allows gmax users to create fs2k2 style scenery bgls.Whilst there is a work around for creators of CFS2 ,models and library bgls. A gamepack without that module would be no use whatsoever.

Rami
February 5th, 2011, 06:25
Simon,

You know I am not expert in these fields...seeing as how the file has been in the archives for over four and a half years and no one has said anything to this point, frankly, I don't see what the real issue is. I will approve a re-packaged upload, certainly.

I am gathering that the files are essential to scenery and library object development, correct?

simonu
February 5th, 2011, 07:45
I am gathering that the files are essential to scenery and library object development, correct?
To be exact. No.
The file FSModelEXP.dle that is 65kb in size and has a CRC 32 checksum 5B818C88 is the only export module that enables gmax users to export FS2K2 scenery bgls. That is it.
There are work arounds that enable CFS2 developers to create object library bgls.
Object librarys and the work arounds are advanced stuff. Gmax is hard enough to learn anyway.

The game pack was intended to get beginners started. Enabling them to quickly see their efforts in the sim and thus encourage them to greater acheivements.

The true author of the file left his name deep in the code. Author: John L. Miller (johnmil@microsoft.com)
but he must have been using sources that microsoft aquired.

Let us not forget that FlightSim was originally created by Bruce Artwick on an Apple II back in 1979.
Microsoft didn't enter the scene until 1982 and the first IBM PC. Look at this (http://fshistory.simflight.com/fsh/index.htm)

Robert John
February 5th, 2011, 10:34
TO ALL THAT IS INTERESTED

When I had fs2002 pro the makmdl would not
save the asm code so I went lookin for a mkmdl
that saves asm and found one but not realising
to make the mkmdl work you need the
FSModelEXP.dle that came with fs2002 pro.
At the time I was not aware that the
FSModelEXP.dle is a none redistrutable file but
should have been. To do design work, although
some programs are free you have to pay
somewhere. You have to buy the game, or do
you.
Quote from Arno microsoft FS MVP
You need to own Fs2002 Pro to have that file.
That is also the reason it is not available for free
download (all those Fs2002 Pro owners paid
nicely for it).
Another option people without Fs2002 have
been using, is to save the X file from GMax and
then load that in the Fs2002 MakeMDL. In that
case you don't need the FsModelExp.dle file.
MY message 05 02 11
FsModelExp.dle file that came with fs2002 Pro

Message on fsdevelopers forum
How to save to .x from Gmax !! I do not have the
option ?
The FS2004 FSModelExp.dle is included in the
FS-X RTM SDK installation, along with gmax.
See this tutorial on the Wiki on how to save the
X file with the FS2004 gamepack (which can be
downloaded freely) and MDLCommander. After
that the X file can be compiled with the FS2002
MakeMDL, which can also be downloaded. So
then there is no need for the FS2002 gamepack
anymore.
In light of this, it seems funny to keep
protecting the fs2002 file from being distributed.
Sometimes it might seem a bit funny indeed. But
on the other end we are all making some addon
product as well and then we also want people to
follow our licenses and not give it away for free
after we have sold it to them. Even after a few
years...

We are still respecting the potential for turning
an fs2002 standard license into a pirated fs2002
delux license, as thou any user would find value
in that difference. Yet, the method described