PDA

View Full Version : Intel reveals design flaw in Sandy Bridge chipset

txnetcop
January 31st, 2011, 09:47
The problem is that over time your sata ports can degrade in performance. Intel has stopped shipments of current boards but say they have a fix for the issue

paulb
January 31st, 2011, 10:51
Hi Ted

I had just been reading about it. Shipments to restart late Feb and full production of the new fixed one by April. I had better start looking at the i7 950 again! :rolleyes:

Cheers

Paul

Bjoern
January 31st, 2011, 11:07
*Strokes his S775 board*

What were ya sayin'? :d

txnetcop
January 31st, 2011, 12:32
*Strokes his S775 board*

ROFL!!!! You're sick Bjoern

Bjoern
February 2nd, 2011, 04:27
ROFL!!!! You're sick Bjoern

Sick, but happy. :cool:

OleBoy
February 2nd, 2011, 05:02
I read the news last night. Lots of ticked off board makers in the outcome. I would have hated to have a new PC sitting here that I couldn't turn on until someone sent me a new board at their leisure. That wouldn't have set too well with me.

paulb
February 2nd, 2011, 06:22
I read the news last night. Lots of ticked off board makers in the outcome. I would have hated to have a new PC sitting here that I couldn't turn on until someone sent me a new board at their leisure. That wouldn't have set too well with me.

It isn't actually that bad. People can keep on using their 2600 mobos. Its mainly about there being a risk of a problem/failure sooner rather than later. Having said that, its not exactly good news!

txnetcop
February 2nd, 2011, 07:52
We ran some tests this morning to see what brings about the failures on the SandyBridge boards...it seems that under-powering is the worst culprit. In the 12 boards we tested only 2 failed rigorous testing in the last 72 hours so I don't think I would worry too much at this point for you SandyBridge owners
Ted

Lewis-A2A
February 3rd, 2011, 00:06
So is there a plan for consumers aka those actually affected yet? :kilroy:

txnetcop
February 3rd, 2011, 02:15
So is there a plan for consumers aka those actually affected yet? :kilroy:

According to Intel the various motherboard companies will have the fix this month. Check with you local motherboard site tech support. Again I have not noticed any steep degradation in some very rigorous testing we have done. The two boards that failed were not known for their ability to withstand that kind of testing anyway...I can't mention names-sorry!
Ted

Stratobat
February 3rd, 2011, 03:41
This is why you should never purchase brand new tech right off the production line :monkies:

Regards,
Stratobat

stansdds
February 3rd, 2011, 14:58
*Strokes his S775 board*

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: