PDA

View Full Version : Which new stick is the best?

brettt777
January 30th, 2011, 17:18
I'm looking at replacing my ten year old Saitek Cyborg with something new and high tech. I have been looking at either the Saitek X52 Pro system with the rudder pedals, or the 65X system also with the rudder pedals. I love the dual throttles on the 65X but it doesn't have the MFD that the X52 has which I really like. Also, the stick for the 65X system is pressure sensitive like some of the real FBW fighter jets. It doesn't actualy move. I'm not sure I would like that (or the $400+ price). If only the X52 had dual throttles, the choice would be easy. Has anyone used either of these (or any other good sticks. I don't absolutely have to have a Saitek) and have any advice on which would be better? I like the fact that either of these stick have multiple axis and buttons and hats, oh my! That is a must.

gigabyte
January 30th, 2011, 18:17
I'm looking at replacing my ten year old Saitek Cyborg with something new and high tech. I have been looking at either the Saitek X52 Pro system with the rudder pedals, or the 65X system also with the rudder pedals. I love the dual throttles on the 65X but it doesn't have the MFD that the X52 has which I really like. Also, the stick for the 65X system is pressure sensitive like some of the real FBW fighter jets. It doesn't actualy move. I'm not sure I would like that (or the $400+ price). If only the X52 had dual throttles, the choice would be easy. Has anyone used either of these (or any other good sticks. I don't absolutely have to have a Saitek) and have any advice on which would be better? I like the fact that either of these stick have multiple axis and buttons and hats, oh my! That is a must.

Well... I have several Saitek systems and I do like them my X45 is like a sherman tank it just won't quit... the X52 has a rotary that won't hold calibration but not a big deal so I still use it. I am with you on liking their hardware. I was a but miffed at the software/driver development for Vista/Win 7, it took far too long but that is history.

Now for the new hardware I got a chance to do a short touchy feely of the X65 and I was not sure I would like the lack of movement in the sitck, so I waited a bit and finally went for the Logitech G940 and I really like it. Lots of buttons and rotaries, dual throttles, and 4 hat switches, plus force feed back - SOLD! The other thing I liked for the price (around here it is almost $100.00 less than the X65) it includes the rudder pedals and that would be an extra $150.00. The only complaint I have is the G940 reports to the OS as 3 seperate devices (no problem for FSX, CFS, IL2, Lock On, and most newer games) a couple of my older games will not handle 3 imput devices so I can get the Stick OR the throttle OR the peddals. The X52 Stick and Throttle report to the OS as a single device, but the peddles still report seperately. This is really only an issue for 2 games I have so not a huge issue to me, there is actually a work a round for XP users, (PPJOY) but sadly the driver for that is not signed by M$ and that is not an option.

Overall for my $ I like the G940 very much, and recommend it especially for combat games the FF and extra controls just rock!

brettt777
January 31st, 2011, 07:26
Wow. Okay, I will take a look at the G940. Might have to make it an all Logitech system as I am wanting to replace my Act Labs wheel and pedals for a Logitech G25. I like the idea of a force feedback stick. Most of the planes I fly wouldn't need it to be realistic because the real ones are FBW or at least all hydraulic. But some of the older ones like my favorite P51 or Corsair or Edge 540 would definitely feel more real with it. Even the great Lotus L-39 would feel better with FF (I actualy have a few minutes of real stick time in the L-39 so I know this LOL). I wonder if it can be programmed on or off for individual aircraft? Did you say the G940 has different modes that it can be switched to? Anyway, many thanks Gigabyte. As I said and you obviously feel the same way, I just don't know about that force sensitive stick thing. I like movements. In fact, I think I read somewhere that the original FBW system in the F-16 was that way (no stick movement) and the pilots didn't like it so they actualy changed it so it has a bit of movement. Anyway, thanks again.

gigabyte
January 31st, 2011, 07:54
Brett, you could set-up diffferent profiles for different planes a couple ways, it would be more work with the Logiteck gaming software, but it can be done, if that is something you really want - I have to have that feature... the best solution is to get the registered version of FUIPC, it is top of teh MUST HAVE list for FSX, once you set a profile for a plane every time you select that plane you get the profile no changing settings.

Regarding modes on the G940, yes there are e modes, a switch on the throttle selects 1,2 or 3, and every control can be reprogramed for each mode. The Logitec Gaming software is quite different from the Saitek, but once you play iwth it a bit it is quite powerful and there is a full Maco language if you want to get fancy.

brettt777
January 31st, 2011, 11:04
Actualy the FUIPC software is at the very top of my must have software list. What with all the new planes coming out with weapons capability and such, that's pretty much a necessity to get full functionality out some of the new stuff.
I have read some reviews of the G940 and one of the few issues I saw a number of times was Windows 7 compatibilty. Some of these were older posts so I am hoping that any software issues with W7 have been worked out by now...? Since I've been using windows 7, I don't really like anything else. Anyway, others said like you that the G940 reports to the OS as three devices. This wouldn't be much of a problem for me since I rarely use anything besides FSX. But once in a while I like to fire up a couple of my older titles like Falcon 4 (Free Falcon or Open Falcon) or Janes F-18 (it does work in Win7). We'll see how that works. Anyway, I'm pretty much sold on the dual throttles and force feedback. And you can't beat the price compared to some of the Saitek systems.

OleBoy
January 31st, 2011, 12:10
Brett, I agree about the x-45 being rock solid. It's far better quality than anything Saitek makes. Just too bad they didn't stick to the same quality in their newer rivals. I've got the x52 and x52 pro and, personally I wouldn't buy another one of either of them. The quality of pots and sensors last for about a year (if that) and then you have to fiddle by adapting what you were use to by assigning that control to another switch/button. IMO, Saitek is cheaply made. Then again, you get what you pay for.
...The X65 they have was not designed nor built by Saitek, but by a company named MadCatz. Saitek liked what they saw and (I guess) bought it outright from them and put the Saitek name on it. I honestly think Saitek is at the end of their ropes in design unless they bring up the quality.

The Logitech G940 seems a good direction to go. If you search hard enough you'll find one at a respectable price ($240.00ish) I got a couple friends that have them. They brag them things up like a date with a hot chick..lol.

that's my2cents :)

brettt777
January 31st, 2011, 12:26
Well I appreciate the input. My only concern is, like I said, Windows 7 compatibility. The thing has been out for like, a year and a half now. I would think any compatibility issues would be resolved by now. Any other issues I have read about with th G940 seem to be, shall we say, operator technique. So we'll see what Happens. I'm planning an entire system upgrade over the next few months and this is just the first step.

gigabyte
January 31st, 2011, 14:04
Brett no fears on the Win 7 thing, that has been fixed with the last 2 sets of drivers and the gaming software, I didn't even use the CD that came with my set I just went right to the site and downloaded the most recent version. There is also quite a modding community which is semi supported by Logitech which you can access from the Logitech Forums so if you have questions check there there is a wealth of info easily avaliable.

Oleboy, it is my understanding that MadCatz actually bought out Saitek and although the name Saitek is still the brand MadCatz has made significant changes in R&D and Manufacturing. I will say the last few pieces I bought (panels) are made since the buyout and the QA does seem to be better than the X52. If you go to the MadCatz site you will see the link back to Saitek and one or the other has the press release on the merger/buyout.

From the Saitek site-

"© 2010 Mad Catz Interactive Asia Limited. Mad Catz, Saitek, and the Mad Catz logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Mad Catz, Inc., and/or its affiliated companies. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners."
<!--end wrapper-->

OleBoy
January 31st, 2011, 14:11
Oleboy, it is my understanding that MadCatz actually bought out Saitek and although the name Saitek is still the brand MadCatz has made significant changes in R&D and Manufacturing. I will say the last few pieces I bought (panels) are made since the buyout and the QA does seem to be better than the X52. If you go to the MadCatz site you will see the link back to Saitek and one or the other has the press release on the merger/buyout.

From the Saitek site-

"© 2010 Mad Catz Interactive Asia Limited. Mad Catz, Saitek, and the Mad Catz logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Mad Catz, Inc., and/or its affiliated companies. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners."
<!--end wrapper-->

Yeah, I'd thought about my wording and figured wires were crossed some how. I was close though..I guess. Hopefully MadCatz will better the next stick to keep standards high. They'll have to..to get me to buy their products after IMO Saitek tarnished the name.

brettt777
January 31st, 2011, 14:32
Okay a couple more questions if you guys don't mind. You've almost got me convinced and I've been looking on E-bay already.
-If I have the stick set up with no force feedback because I'm flying a jet that is FBW or all hydraulic, is there some kind of centering function on the stick so I'm not constantly trying to keep things level and straight?
-If I'm flying an older plane, say a Mustang, that is single engine and has only one throttle but has other parameters to control like propeller pitch and mixture, would I be able to set it up to use one of the throttle levers as a throttle, the other one as pitch and one of the rotary axis as mixture? Does the software allow that kind of thing to be done as different modes or does it have to be done in something like FUIPC?