PDA

View Full Version : Doing what's right?

OleBoy
January 30th, 2011, 16:11
Hello everyone here at SOH. I feel the need to tell a story that, in one way tells a story about a companion who is very close to us, in hopes something good comes of it.

As many of you know I was working on a new PC build that was to be exclusively for FSX. For 2 1/2 years I have been saving in lou of a better flight simulator experience. The day finally arrived last week when I ordered a comprised hardware list (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=47785) from Newegg. I was worse than a kid waiting for it all to arrive. Thursday came..and so did all the hardware making up the inside of my new FSX PC. I was a very happy kid.
....Late Thursday evening my wife finally got home from taking one of our dogs to a veterinary clinic where he underwent an MRI to determine what was causing him to be in such immense pain since before Christmas. For weeks prior to this day our dog has been on steroids and/or pain killers up to this day. Well, Thursday evening my wife got home with our dog. She told me that we just spent our savings..or a good part of it. The cost of the MRI was $1,900.00..a 3 hour process. All said and done..and after the surgery (there goes my new PC) at a cost of $5,000.00...yes, you read correctly. And, no, I am not nuts!! My wife (and I) are very sympathetic of our animals and enjoy them very much BUT, I was not ready to relinquish my savings for this. Needless to say, I did. I did so it kept peace within our family, in hopes that this surgery will make our dog well and that he will be with us for a long..long time.

Don't judge me by this story. Personally I think the whole story is whacked!! But, that's my position. And that's why I do not get a new PC. Needless to say, and due to current situations of not being employed, I don't foresee my new build happening..

I'll gladly accept any donors to do a butcher build :salute:

Daveroo
January 30th, 2011, 17:20
i dont have anything to offer..monitary or pc...but i sure feel for ya...seems like just when you get ahead something causes a set back...we all love our pets..but sometimes you need to wiegh the outcome.....one idea though...have you looked into "care credit"? they gave me credit for my cats emergincy surgery at a point in my life when i was a risk credit wise...and i think they will go as high as 5 grand too....

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

OleBoy
January 30th, 2011, 18:51
I come back to this and think, why, why did I post this for all to see? Well, there are a lot of members here that have upgraded who are fortunate enough to be able to do so. I was, but chose a different direction for the love of a pet. Even though we could not foresee affording the expense..especially during times like we have upon us since I have been unemployed for so long. And having two kids under our roof and still in middle school makes things like a pc even less likely. I'm a plain, plane junky who's an addict who's lost his fix

I'm not outright asking. More so hoping. If not to experience FSX, then to experience FS9 to the extreme as it will help retain my sanity while unemployed. No idea how many of you out there wash dishes, cook, clean, vacuum, do laundry and play Mr. Mom, but I play the roll daily and have been for 2+ years. It's a very dull life.

txnetcop
January 30th, 2011, 19:26
Man do I ever understand your story. Ever since Donna and I moved to Austin for her job I haven't been able to find full-time employment...Dell has all but shut down in Austin and most of the high tech I work in is looking for youngsters fresh outta college. I ran a physicians network for four years in Dallas. It's a damn shame because I think my knowledge and work ethic runs circles around most of these kids. I prove that every day at TechCorp but it is only a 10-15 hour a week job testing computer equipment for mfgs. I have been putting off my personal build for two years but I guess I can't complain I get to play with the latest stuff at work when I do get to work. Sorry this is happening to ya OLEBOY! You really do have my sympathies!
Ted

OBIO
January 30th, 2011, 19:54
OleBoy

I have nothing to offer in terms of PC parts or money to buy parts. I am fearing the day when my system finally gives up the ghost. It is running on borrowed time...it has 6 leaking capacitors on the MOBO and they have been leaking for many months now. I am surprised that this old box even powers up, let alone run solid and stable like it does. When this old box goes, I have no idea how I am going to piece together a new system.

I do understand you choice in caring for you beloved pet. Deb and I don't, couldn't, have children..but we have fur kids and fin kids. 2 much loved dogs and 3 fish tanks. The fish...they are pretty cheap to keep....weekly water changes, cleaning the filters, a bag or two of good fish food every few months. The dogs...for the most part are pretty easy on the wallet as well. A 20 pound bag of Purina sets me back about $18 but will feed these two little buggers for months. Yearly boosters, rabies shots, monthly heart worm preventative, yearly dog tags....that adds up....but still much cheaper than feeding, clothing, educating and whatnot with real kids. We have had people tell us that if they were to be reincarnated, they would want to come back as one of our dogs since we take such good care of them and spoil them rotten.

OBIO

Willy
January 30th, 2011, 20:47
I wish I could help, but being on a fixed income I've been running this comp since 2002 with very few upgrades. But I will say that if it came down between one of our "ponies" or our "puppies" and a new comp, I'd have to forget about the comp. My critters come first.

norab
January 31st, 2011, 03:12
I am struck by how many of us are in similar circumstances. I have been disabled on Social security for 15 years now and my computer dates to 2003 but it keeps on ticking, thank you Lord. I can't offer more than moral support Oleboy, but you have all I can give.

wombat666
January 31st, 2011, 04:52
Whatever the circumstances you 'did the right thing' mate.
You WILL get your upgraded PC, just later than you wish, but you only have your pup for a short time, relatively speaking.
We recently had to make the ultimate decision for one of our Beagles, and while it is never something I want to decide, Epilepsy in a dog is very ugly.
So enjoy the time with the hound and mark time a little longer on the PC.
:applause:

Thoe6969
January 31st, 2011, 05:22
A whole lot of us here are in the same boat ,if you notice we are older and retired.I work a little part time driving job just to have gas money and food for our dog and cat.the bills take all the SS check.There is a part time job out there if you want one.

OleBoy
January 31st, 2011, 08:04
Realistically (though hard to accept) we are all in the same predicament in one form or another. Thanks to...I won't go there, we're all riding the same wave. When that wave settles who knows where we'll be.
...Time will come eventually. I'll have a great pc case sitting on my desk that, some day the hard drive lights might just wink at me with life. There's a few pc recyclers in the vicinity. Who knows what I might find over time that will bring life to Frankenstein. A pc named Frankenstein. Kinda catchy..lol.

Life has strange paths. I know this. I love my animals. That's all there is to it.

In sincerest words. I wish everyone the best.
..My paddle is broken and short but, if I can help paddle I'm happy to assist.

Thoe6969
January 31st, 2011, 08:56
Realistically (though hard to accept) we are all in the same predicament in one form or another. Thanks to...I won't go there, we're all riding the same wave. When that wave settles who knows where we'll be.
...Time will come eventually. I'll have a great pc case sitting on my desk that, some day the hard drive lights might just wink at me with life. There's a few pc recyclers in the vicinity. Who knows what I might find over time that will bring life to Frankenstein. A pc named Frankenstein. Kinda catchy..lol.

Life has strange paths. I know this. I love my animals. That's all there is to it.

In sincerest words. I wish everyone the best.
..My paddle is broken and short but, if I can help paddle I'm happy to assist. Just keep picking up a part every now and then,hopefully before too long you can put a new one together.None of my older parts are probably any better than what you have or you would be welcome to them.