PDA

View Full Version : At this rate, I'll teach into JULY!

Rami
January 30th, 2011, 14:29
To all,

I often love New England, but right now...I don't!

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/local/12003382127053/snow-piles-up-on-snow-weary-northeast/

Since the New Year, we've made Nor' Easters a sport, averaging about once a week. Right now, there is an average snowfall cover of about 16-18 inches, and snow piles on at intersections and parking lots are about forty feet high, if not higher! It's truly getting dangerous to drive, you can't see around corners until you're halfway into the intersection, and there's no room to clear the sidewalks! Communities near the water have resorted to dumping snow into the ocean, while other communities are using every soccer, baseball, and football field as "snow farms."

http://www.nohrsc.nws.gov/snow_model/images/full/Northeast/nsm_depth/201101/nsm_depth_2011013005_Northeast.jpg

Most communities (including mine) have exhausted their snow removal budgets, and now we're going to get hit with another 1-2 punch this week, with 4-7 inches of fresh powder on Tuesday, followed by a snow-sleet-freezing rain mess on Wednesday that will dump in the neighborhood of ten inches of cement-like slop over a twenty-four hour period, which will surely knock out power and break tree limbs.

January saw an average of seven or eight snow days for the kids, and February is not looking any better. Most schools allow for five or six snow days, so the school year is already going to have to be extended at least a little while! For teachers, it makes planning lessons and other things so much more difficult...I'm really reaching the end of my weather rope. :angryfir:

Sigh...now I feel better!

mksystem
January 30th, 2011, 15:38
I feel your pain, looking at a foot or more in the next two days here in southern WI. Hang in there though, we are on the downside of an interesting winter!! The children are blessed to have teachers like you.:salute:

Oglivie
January 30th, 2011, 16:19
Rami,

I saw & heard about these conditions on the news and was wonderen about ya. Stay safe! My relations in Sweden are having a rough winter also. I heard Great Britain and parts of Europe had heavy snow last December, not sure about lately. Not a lot of snow in southeast Michigan (yet), about average I think. Most temps have been on the cold side below average.

Fibber
January 30th, 2011, 19:58
Rami;
I have almost run out of places to dump the snow. I have it piled so deep in my backyard that my four foot snow gauges has disappeared and every nook and cranny is filled! All I can see of my patio surround are the top of the little caps, they are at four feet. GLOBAL WARMING!!!:icon_lol:

Pen32Win
January 30th, 2011, 20:58
Rami I feel for ya. Anything under 80 is cool to me, 50 and below is downright freezing. I see Snowbirds out in shorts and T-shirt when it's in the 60's and think they're nuts. But come summer when it's 110 they're hiding indoors in front of the AC and I think it's nice....

mariereid
January 31st, 2011, 00:19
Up here in my part of the great white north it's been pretty easy. I plowed my driveway once, if I had waited 8 hrs, it would have been washed away by rain. We had the Kayaks out in early Jan. I won't go in the water if there is any amount of ice. We have been crying because the temp has started to go below 0 degrees c.

Our last great storm was about 10 years ago. We got 40" in 24 hours. I had to climb out a window and shovel an area for the dogs to get outside.

Oh well, we still got Feb. and Mar.to go. Maybe Apr. and even May. I remember it snowed on June 6th one year.

The ocean is warmer up here, we are more afraid of hurricanes now. We live on a road called Hurricane Lane. I seem to do a lot of prayin' for protection of our house and land now. I never had to do that in the good old days!:ernae:

Seagull V
January 31st, 2011, 01:26
Speaking of Hurricanes:-

As if Queensland has not had enough rain already :isadizzy:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/01/31/3126169.htm

Hey Rami, swap you snow for a Cyclone right now !!!!!!!!

highpockets
January 31st, 2011, 14:56
Gosh, they are predicting maybe some flakes here in SE Texas later this week!
I am an Okie and lived in Kansas too! Snow & ice is NO FUN.
Of course neither is 90+ temps and 100% humidity here in the summer.

dvslats
February 3rd, 2011, 02:58
Hi Ya'll,

Well the northern mid west finally took a punch to the gut. At the moment I do not know how much it snowed, but I only needed to use three of the eight steps on my stairs to the back door.

The wind was insane! Fifty mph gusts with four inches of snow per hour. My first experience to a white out condition.

It's been twenty three hours since I left for work yesterday, just got home now. :snowman: Still have to get my hot rod Saturn dug out of the lot. But really, it is nice just to be home.

Hey Rami, now I can appreciate your explanation of the snow piles at intersections. My son drove me home, and my job was to get out and look before we drove through them. Good thing he stopped and let me get back in. :-D

Dv

Sascha66
February 3rd, 2011, 04:06
Rami;
I have almost run out of places to dump the snow. I have it piled so deep in my backyard that my four foot snow gauges has disappeared and every nook and cranny is filled! All I can see of my patio surround are the top of the little caps, they are at four feet. GLOBAL WARMING!!!:icon_lol:

Global warming does not imply that it gets warmer everywhere, the most obvious down-side is the increase of EXTREME weather. So the snows in the US and flooding and storms in Queensland do fit in the picture...

Sascha

Rami
February 3rd, 2011, 04:18
Hi,

Yesterday, we had the precipitation change from snow to sleet to rain. The big problem is that the snow soaked up a lot of that water, and with the minor melting and re-freezes we've had already, that snow is more like cement.

Worse, the clogged storm drains from all the snow left giant puddles all over the place, and as the storm departed, the temperature dropped ten degrees, and so we had a hard freeze of all that water, turning roads, parking lots, and driveways into skating rinks. Some people who parked in standing water had to go out with a hammer and a chisel to free their tires!

Also, the heavy weight of snow on roofs has caused many buildings to collapse. The school that I teach at has workers on the roof pushing the snow off, but they kept classes going. When I get home, I'm going up on my roof to do the same.

Sigh...the price you pay for living in a northern climate.

Dirtman
February 3rd, 2011, 05:13
Sigh...the price you pay for living in a northern climate.

You can say that again Bro! Up here in Toronto we got a whole 3 - 4 inches of snow yesterday!! (from that big storm)

It's the "light & fluffy" type ... forget the snow shovel ... it's faster to use a leaf blower!

.... 30214

Ahh yes ... wonderful Toronto ... where the "Leafs" blow EVERY season!!!

....... 30215 .. 30216

Fibber
February 3rd, 2011, 05:31
Dirtman "we got a whole 3 - 4 inches of snow yesterday" I wish we had that! I had about 1 and 1/2 inches of solid ICE! Shovels were useless and my ice wedge just bounced off of it. Took 9 hours of hacking to clear my sidewalk and driveway. Then finding a place to put the darn stuff, my shoulders were killing me!
Sascha; That was something called sacasm. Political tripe is down the hall at Canelos Cafe.

Sascha66
February 3rd, 2011, 05:38
Dirtman "we got a whole 3 - 4 inches of snow yesterday" I wish we had that! I had about 1 and 1/2 inches of solid ICE! Shovels were useless and my ice wedge just bounced off of it. Took 9 hours of hacking to clear my sidewalk and driveway. Then finding a place to put the darn stuff, my shoulders were killing me!
Sascha; That was something called sacasm. Political tripe is down the hall at Canelos Cafe.

OK, thanks for clarifying!

Dirtman
February 3rd, 2011, 06:13
I had about 1 and 1/2 inches of solid ICE! Shovels were useless and my ice wedge just bounced off of it. Took 9 hours of hacking to clear my sidewalk and driveway. Then finding a place to put the darn stuff, my shoulders were killing me!

I feel for ya Bro ... I apply large amounts of rock salt & sand each winter... and let "Mother Nature" do the hard work ... then easily scrape off what's left in a day or so!

When in pain ... I ingest large quantities of Kanadian beer & Kentucky Bourbon - works every time!!

.... 30229

Fibber
February 3rd, 2011, 07:29
Now part 2 of your snow removal program would really do the job and I could really :icon_lol: go for!

mariereid
February 3rd, 2011, 07:38
Well, we finally got some snow! 12 inches or so. I plowed the driveway, dug some tunnels for the cats to play in and towed the wife around the neighbourhood. She loves skiing behind the atv. In our little area, it's the first real snow fall, so we kinda like it. Our bird feeders are quite busy. It's beautiful out there! I can't understand what Rami is crying about.....hee, hee. :ernae:

sc7500
February 3rd, 2011, 09:13
... We just completed Phase Two of our 2011 Blizzard Program... Living in South Central Iowa [and close to the Missouri Border] means we get a lot of their nasty weather PLUS a shot of Oklahoma / Texas breezes....

It's warming up today - almost -8*F now - and that means I can probably get the tractor started to clear the driveway and front gate of the 5' drifts from Monday's storm. Maybe get the mail outta the mailbox, and head into town for some supplies...

Do I Miss California ?

NO Freaking Way.
SC
:kilroy:

Fibber
February 3rd, 2011, 09:39
You don't miss California, the real "breakaway" state. Especially when the faults start going along that shift line. PS Don't forget to restock thet Bourbon and other needed necessities for Sunday!

sc7500
February 3rd, 2011, 12:17
...You don't miss California, the real "breakaway" state. Especially when the faults start going along that shift line. PS Don't forget to restock the Bourbon and other needed necessities for Sunday!...

Not in the least. The quakes were a bother, but you could never see them coming like a tornado or thunderstorm, so.... I like it here better. I was born and raised in Southern Cal, moved to NorCal with my wife and daughters in '88 and just had enough of it all in 2008 after my divorce.

Cali is crowded, horribly expensive, and... Well, I prefer to live in Iowa.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As for The Game - I'm spending the weekend in SW Iowa @ my GF's house - we've already stockpiled vino, food and goodies in anticipation of the whole shebang.

Oddly, being from Michigan SHE'S the Rabid Football Fanatic [I'm a hardcore motorsports freak, don't care much for contact / team sports] but Susie makes one HELLUVA Guacamole dip, so...... Off I go !
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Just finished clearing the drive - as predicted, the JD was cold-blooded and stubborn to get running. Once lit, however, it took less than an hour to clear the drifts away and gain street access once more.

Be good, y'all !
SC
:kilroy:

Sascha66
February 3rd, 2011, 13:34
OK, thanks for clarifying!

Sacasm off. Smart-ass mode off.

OTTO
February 6th, 2011, 03:52
KRAAAAP !!!
Seems like the winter from hell allright , ice & snow twice a week.
Good Luck to all you guys in the N.E. !!
Reading your post's seems to make my troubles not so bad , just tryin not to break a bone or two before it's over.

Good Luck & be safe !
OTTO