PDA

View Full Version : Achtung!! SpitFire!!

BOOM
January 29th, 2011, 03:18
If any of you.Like me,were waiting for The P-51 and going to bypass the A2A Spitfire......DON'T!!! You'll be missing out on the most realistic,immersive Warbird created for FSX!! It's that good!

Realism+Quality X Immersion=A2A Simulations:salute:

txnetcop
January 29th, 2011, 03:21
And there are more Spitfires coming! This is the crown jewel of WWII fighters to date if want total immersion with Accusim!
Ted

I believe there is a Mark V coming from A2A next then the P-51 with interchangeable Merlin

Oelwanne
January 29th, 2011, 04:28
Great Pics!
Sadly I have to wait for Monday until i can Purchase it.... till then i use the Time to study the Manual.
Waiting is nerve wrecking! :crybaby:

Naki
January 29th, 2011, 14:16
I believe there is a Mark V coming from A2A next then the P-51 with interchangeable Merlin

Is that just a rumour or has it been confirmed by A2A (A@A)?

Kiwikat
January 29th, 2011, 14:19
Is that just a rumour or has it been confirmed by A2A (A@A)?

It has been confirmed.

Bomber_12th
January 29th, 2011, 14:33
For sure, for sure? If so, I'll be in flight sim heaven like never before - the Mk.V being the finest Spitfire variant of all, in my mind. My bank account will have other thoughts of course. :)

If I won the lottery, and was to choose three planes to purchase/restore/rebuild, it would be, in order of interests, P-51B/C, Spitfire Mk.V, and a B-25.

BOOM
January 29th, 2011, 15:15
Thanks for the Fantastic news!!! This Hobby just keeps getting better and better!!!:salute:

SADT
January 29th, 2011, 15:31
For sure, for sure? If so, I'll be in flight sim heaven like never before - the Mk.V being the finest Spitfire variant of all, in my mind. My bank account will have other thoughts of course. :)

If I won the lottery, and was to choose three planes to purchase/restore/rebuild, it would be, in order of interests, P-51B/C, Spitfire Mk.V, and a B-25.

I entirely agree with you John, the Mark. V combines the light handling of the earlier models with a more powerful merlin. just one question - were Mark.V's produced with the external bullet-proof windscreens and curved quarter panels, or did they only have the flat windscreen and quarter panel? I like the earlier windscreen variation.

Bomber_12th
January 29th, 2011, 16:08
My favorite Mk.V, and as can be seen, it has the bullet-proof windscreen fitted:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2749104250_9a2379c477_o.jpg

I have seen in-service photos of Mk.V's with and without the bullet-proof windscreen - same with restored Mk.V's as well.

As you can see by the first photo in this post of a Mk.V, the Mk.V looked very much the part of the Mk.II before it, but with a better engine which maximized the performance of the former design.

http://warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38827&hilit=where+spitfire

SADT
January 29th, 2011, 16:14
Yup, thats the one. :salute: Thanks for posting that. My credit card has been given a huge workout these holidays, and is now screaming in pain at the thought of its master wanting yet another aircraft!

Heres hoping A2A models the early windscreen.

Naki
January 29th, 2011, 16:35
My favorite Mk.V, and as can be seen, it has the bullet-proof windscreen fitted:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3203/2749104250_9a2379c477_o.jpg

I have seen in-service photos of Mk.V's with and without the bullet-proof windscreen - same with restored Mk.V's as well.

I was also thinking of "Marion" when I noted the above post about a Mark V coming from A2A, since it was restored here...I can see my warbird collection growing substantially this year!

Roadburner440
January 29th, 2011, 16:52
So does the MkV have better cooling? :icon_lol: Must say I agree with BOOM. I was going to skip this (like I was the J-3, but bought it anyway) and wait for the P-51D. Is a fun aircraft to fly though when its not on fire. Was hoping the P-51 was next in line, but another Spitfire couldn't hurt.

rwmarth
January 29th, 2011, 16:55
I assumed the P-51 was on the front burner now...

Bomber_12th
January 29th, 2011, 16:58
So does the MkV have better cooling? :icon_lol:

No, I should think not...radiator configuration is the same.

SADT
January 29th, 2011, 18:37
I would think that the Mark.V would be in an even worse condition, because it has more power, same cooling. LOL

Bomber_12th
January 29th, 2011, 18:51
Craig, it doesn't quite work that way. Idling/warm up, there wouldn't be any real difference, since it is generally the same RPM's/power. But instead of 1,175 HP on take off, you get 1,440 HP. The Merlin in the Mk.V also introduced a redesigned carburetor, which would allow you to perform negative-G maneuvers without any fuel-flow problems, unlike the Mk.I and II. The Mk.V is generally faster in all regards to a Mk.I/II, and the faster you go, the more air goes through the radiator, which will allow the coolant to be cooler. Another benefit of the Mk.V is that it has a larger oil cooler than the earlier Mk.I/II. The fishtail exhaust stacks, introduced into the Mk.V, were also a marginal improvement over the earlier round-section types.

SADT
January 29th, 2011, 20:00
O.K. Thanks John for clarifying things. :salute: Not only are you a P-51 nut, it seems, but also a Spitfire nut :) ;)