PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion about my neighbors....

Navy Chief
November 30th, 2008, 14:31
On Thanksgiving Day, around 1 PM, we decided to do some target practice with our pistols.

We were shooting into a hill on our property. Shortly after we began firing, the neighbors started peering out their door.

After we all had fired a couple clips, our neighbor came out on his porch and began shouting obscenities at us. One thing he yelled in particular, was "What the f%$#& are you doing?" My wife simply replied, "Shooting pistols."

He shouted a few more unmentionables, and then sat on his porch and glared at us.

I need to mention that we live way out in the countryside; no where near the city limits. There aren't any restrictions about firing guns on your own property.

It is the first time I have fired my pistol (or any firearm for that matter ) on my property, since we moved here in 2004. Also, aside from my wife calling our cats to put them in in the evening, we don't make any noise that would bother anyone.

But, our neighbors are another matter. If they are outside when my wife calls our cats, they yell and make fun of her. During the summer months, there is constant commotion from their direction. If it isn't noise from a four wheeler needing a muffler, it is the neighbor's wife, yelling four letter words. She has a voice like nails on a chalkboard. Enough to make anyone cringe. This past July 4th they shot off Fireworks, which was fine, but they let their brats aim bottle rockets at our property. That was alarming, because it was a very dry summer.

My wife doesn't want me to start anything with them, for fear they would try to poison our pets. She has a point, but their actions on Thanksgiving Day were upsetting.

What would your reaction be?

I am planning on talking to a cop who lives nearby. All I want to do is make him aware of the situation, if anything would happen to our pets. It would be almost impossible to prove anything, but I don't know what else to do.

NC

Cratermaker
November 30th, 2008, 14:40
I'd say talking to the cop first is a good idea.

Now, since you don't shoot very often, I could see it might have been startling to them (just giving them the benefit of the doubt, even if they are nasty neighbors). A diplomatic approach might be to say sorry about that, next time I'll warn you first and I won't be doing it at night, etc.

I also think you should start shooting more.... :icon_lol:

I wish I had property to shoot on. :censored: range fees.

But seriously, I would not try escalating the situation any. No good will come of that.

TomSteber
November 30th, 2008, 14:40
Sounds like their a "nice" couple. :icon_lol:

I would follow up with your cop neighbor and then just keep doing the right thing. What ever that is. You have rights as do they. But it sure sounds like their the ones with the issues.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving!

Navy Chief
November 30th, 2008, 14:46
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving, (confrontations with the neighbors, aside).

The next day, I drove with my wife's dad to Summerville, SC for a funeral of his brother's wife. It was a nice trip, I must say, except for the funeral of course. I was more than a little apprehensive about driving through Atlanta because of "Black Friday" idiot drivers. But surprisingly, it was no problem at all.

I am really enjoying spending time with my wife's dad. My father died in 1993, and my mom in 1991. Her dad, J.D. Smith is quite a character. Having flown with the US Army Air Corps in WW2, and then a corporate pilot for years, he loves talking aviation. It made the 16 hours of driving a breeze.

NC

Ickie
November 30th, 2008, 14:51
I had that problem once, when I lived on a farm in Michigan, neighbor bitched all the time, they even called the sheriffs office, I than set up a skeet range and daily went out and shot clay birdies, invited them over to shoot and never had a problem again.

GT182
November 30th, 2008, 15:15
Chief, invite your neighbor over to shoot with you..... but keep a few blanks for his first shots. ;) Maybe things will change after that..... it takes awhile to know your neighbors. Good or bad. But do talk to your neighbot that's a cop.... hell invite him over to shoot with you both. It won't hurt to try.

On that note, I'm losing a neighbor. I haven't known him all that long and he can be a "pita" accorcing to my wife. He's into the old muscle cars too as he has the only 2 survivor 67 GTXs registered in DE, a convertable and a hardtop. I've been his chaufeur for the last few months as he's been told he can't drive anymore. He has Progressive Sub-Neulear Palsy. The same disease that Dudley Moore died from several years ago. So time isn't on his side.

Sorry to take away from your problem Chief, but I thought maybe this would show that we can't always take things for granted or have them the way we want. But then again things have a way of working themselves out for the better for everyone.

TeaSea
November 30th, 2008, 15:28
I would agree with G182 and the general trend of letting your neighbors know when you're going out for target practice.

Even if there are know restrictions, and you're on your own property, it would be nice to just give them a call and let them know, "hey, I'm going out to defend myself against a few cans, so don't mind the noise".

If they persist in their unsociable behavior, especially directed towards your spouse, then I would call the local sheriff. He or she might be interested in that.

hey_moe
November 30th, 2008, 15:49
Neighbors are funny sometimes. It's ok if they make all the noise they want but when it's your turn it's a horse of a different color. Look at the bright side of this....what would ya do if ya had Helldiver for a neighbor :costumes:

TARPSBird
November 30th, 2008, 16:16
Chief,
Sounds like your neighbors are a-holes. But I do think it would be a courteous gesture to let them know when you're shooting, even if it is on your own property. As for cat-calls and rude behavior to your wife, that's unacceptable behavior. I definitely would talk to your cop neighbor and get his input on how to handle those jerks.

Cloud9Gal
November 30th, 2008, 16:26
Hey NC-

Sorry you're having to deal with nasty neighbors like that. That's no fun for sure! You might want to try to "kill them with kindness"? With Christmas just around the corner, maybe invite them over for dinner? Or just a drink maybe? Or if you & your wife find it in your heart to do so, you could buy them a little something or even bake cookies and make the delivery to them in person?
Sometimes it doesn't take much really...
Remember, two wrongs do not make a right :)
Opening up the lines of communication can't hurt, at least, I want to hope so!
Good Luck to you! :wavey:

Keep us updated!

Navy Chief
November 30th, 2008, 16:40
I appreciate all your comments. I have to admit, we haven't attempted being social with our neighbors. For that matter, most folks around here keep to themselves. Seems like the older I get, the more ornery I get; especially about not wanting to be with other people. Hard to explain. The area we used to live in was filled with rental cabins. We had to deal with strangers zipping by our place every week. I think that really soured me from that point on...

NC

Sean Doran
November 30th, 2008, 16:55
I would go buy alot of ammo and start shooting early in the morning, and then as much as possible after that. Now that you know what pisses them off your all set. Time to go to work!!

:jump::jump::jump::jump:

Navy Chief
November 30th, 2008, 17:00
I realized I'd forgot to mention one small detail. My neighbor's wife had killed her previous husband. No idea when this happened or the circumstances, but just thought I'd add that....

NC

Cratermaker
November 30th, 2008, 17:26
I realized I'd forgot to mention one small detail. My neighbor's wife had killed her previous husband. No idea when this happened or the circumstances, but just thought I'd add that....

NC
Yikes! "small detail"? Ummm... wow. :isadizzy:

HundertzehnGustav
November 30th, 2008, 18:00
...the important stuff first, ey!
:cost1:

that woman is a reason to get into martial arts, and always lock the door at night!!!

otherwise, i would join the bunch of outhousers and say there is a need ft more communication...

lifejogger
November 30th, 2008, 18:30

NC

Get a holster and start wearing the pistol.

smoores
November 30th, 2008, 20:47
You need to put more thought at what you are shooting at, say, the fence between you and your neighbors.

HundertzehnGustav
December 1st, 2008, 01:24
You need to put more thought at what you are shooting at, say, the fence between you and your neighbors.

listen to dat wise man...:costumes::costumes:

Dain Arns
December 1st, 2008, 04:12
Chief. You need NNS....

2he2eF2L_SE

Navy Chief
December 1st, 2008, 07:37
NNS video is hysterical!

I thought maybe a cheaper thing to do, in my situation, would be to collect a few days of cat poop (an easy thing to do at our house), and lob a few scoopfuls in their direction. at night, right where they park their cars............

For now, I am doing nothing, except making the local cop aware of the problem.

NC

brad kaste
December 1st, 2008, 07:55
navychief,
I think you're doing the wise thing. E.g., notifying the local cop what has transpired so far. If more poop comes up by your neighbors just keep the constable aware of things. The couple next door sound like they might be a bit unhinged. I'd give them 'space' but still go about your business. From target practice in your back yard to whatever............
-Brad

Tom Clayton
December 1st, 2008, 08:29
I know it costs, but it might be time for an old fashioned 8' privacy fence. Just be sure to get the property properly surveyed so there's no question as to where the property lines are drawn.

We had a neighbor that once tried to shoot the birds off our feeders with a BB rifle - using our house as a backstop! I came out of the house with my .22 rifle in hand and she quicly stopped that!

Navy Chief
December 1st, 2008, 12:58
About three years ago, we had a fence company install new 6ft wire fencing (with a barbed wire strand on top) along our property line. When they installed it, they ran into tree root problems, so we had them move the new fence (wherever necessary) a few feet closer to our side of the property. So, we have two fences on that side of our property. The original fence isn't in good shape, but it IS there.

I have been considering placing a electric wire along the top of that fence. That way my dog couldn't get zapped, and neither would our cats. Our cats, for the most part, stay on our property. And we put them up at night.

NC

GT182
December 1st, 2008, 15:50
Chief, use "razor wire" on that fence. ;) No one will cross it, but if they do they'll be there for a bit. :costumes:

Francois
December 1st, 2008, 22:03
Better a far away but good friend, than a bad neighbor ...... :banghead:

Marlin
December 1st, 2008, 22:08
First thing I would do is read, or re-read the laws for your county. I know where I live you have to be at least 500 yards from an occupied residence, so make sure that you are within all legalities.

Your state laws are available online >>>HERE (http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=tncode)<<< Then look for Title 39, Chapter 17 Part 13 (http://www.michie.com/tennessee/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=731d158f.56d3f4c0.0.0&nid=7571#JD_t39ch17p13)
You’ll have to find your local laws as I don’t have your address.

Second, if she really did kill her husband, go down and get you and your wife a class to get your concealed carry permit and practice often, in your back yard of course. J

A CCW should be viewed like a seat belt. You put it on without the expectations of getting into a car crash, but just in case you do, it sure is nice to have it on.

I mean really, if you are not breaking any laws you have not one thing to worry about! :tgun2: away!!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Wulf190
December 1st, 2008, 22:23
" Good fences make good Neighbors..."
Robert Frost

Cazzie
December 2nd, 2008, 03:46
Sad to hear that Chief. I got good neighbors, we're all rednecks and shoot guns! The high Sheriff of Pittsylvania County lives right behind me through the woods. :icon_lol:

Looks like some paranoid city folks done moved in next to you.:banghead:

Caz

Willy
December 2nd, 2008, 12:14
You want me to come over and bring my guns? :d

Navy Chief
December 2nd, 2008, 12:49
You're welcome anytime, Willy; and bring yer guns too!

My neighbors definitely are NOT city folk. I was born/raised in the city, though! But my neighbors are "locals". A lot of the people in this area have lived here their entire lives, and have many relatives. Everyone knows everyone, which isn't necessarily a good thing sometimes.

NC

djscoo
December 2nd, 2008, 13:04
You're welcome anytime, Willy; and bring yer guns too!

My neighbors definitely are NOT city folk. I was born/raised in the city, though! But my neighbors are "locals". A lot of the people in this area have lived here their entire lives, and have many relatives. Everyone knows everyone, which isn't necessarily a good thing sometimes.

NC
Your last name doesn't happen to be McCoy...does it?! :icon_eek:

:costumes:

Willy
December 2nd, 2008, 13:22
Your last name doesn't happen to be McCoy...does it?! :icon_eek:

:costumes:

Actually, my last name is McCoy! :d

djscoo
December 2nd, 2008, 13:23
Actually, my last name is McCoy! :d
lol...any known relation?

Navy Chief
December 2nd, 2008, 14:05
Actually, my neighbors last name is Green. Don't think his first name is Joe, though....heh, heh.....

NC

Pronto91
December 2nd, 2008, 14:10
Outhouse .... defining threads....er, nevermind.

brad kaste
December 2nd, 2008, 15:09
Actually, my neighbors last name is Green. Don't think his first name is Joe, though....heh, heh.....

NC

Chief,...Ya' might wanna check 'em out real close like and see how many fingers they have on the hands........all bets are on.......

Snuffy
December 2nd, 2008, 15:34
Border the fence line with some claymores :) Early warning system.

Navy Chief
December 2nd, 2008, 16:26
I do have several wireless motion detectors on my property, but need to get one for that side of the fence..........

NC

Gdavis101
December 2nd, 2008, 17:29
People are uneasy when it comes to someone shooting guns, it creates an immediate need to dial 911. I used to work as a Ranger here on the coast and the park I worked at was in the county and privately owned. There were neighbors behind the park that would shoot 22's about every other weekend. That generally started an influx of reports of shots being fired at or around the park property. Already knowing, I would tell people that because we are in the county they are allowed to do that.. Unless they shoot someone, or endanger someones life. Of, course the the person reporting this would tell me I didn't know what I was talking about and they would proceed to call 911 themselves, only to be told the same thing by the county dispatcher.

In most Counties, at least the ones I have been in it is totally legal to shoot firearms as long as you are not endangering anyone's life.. Within the city limits is a totally different subject, I was once standing in front of bar with a couple of other officers after a fight call when a neighbor across the street opened up his door stuck a revolver out the door and fired 4 rounds into the air, it was New Years! He went to jail that night!

Navy Chief
December 2nd, 2008, 17:34
The thing is, the neighbor on the other side of the loudmouth, is an ex cop who frequently shoots his weapons; some of which are very loud.

NC

Gdavis101
December 2nd, 2008, 21:17
They probably don't like the fact that the ex cop shoots his weapons, but they are to chicken sh*t to say anything to him because of his ties to the police. Its really funny how people are... Had a neighbor where I live and he didn't want to have anything to do with anything when I first moved here until the day I observed some strange activity at his house and thought he was being broken into.

The cop in me surfaced and I went over to his house after the local law said they were to busy to send a car out and asked me if I would please drive over to take a look. Turned out to be nothing, but the guy was really pleased to know that I cared enough to check on his house for him, now he is really friendly!