PDA

View Full Version : Alphasim S-55 undercarriage fix?

NickB
January 27th, 2011, 08:13
Does anyone know if Alphasim or anyone else, ever got round to fixing the undercarriage problem on the FSX version of Alphasims (now freeware) Sikorsky S-55?
The last thing I vaguely remember is that Mr Perrott, may or may not have had a fix, which he may or may not have uploaded somewhere. I had a search but could only find the wonky version.

mal998
January 28th, 2011, 08:24
Try these changes:

empty_weight_CG_position = 0.00, 0.0, 0.0 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical //-0.73

point.0 = 1, 6.22, -2.70, -4.7, 2500, 0, 0.45, 140, 0.17, 2.52, 0.8, 0, 0, 2, 00, 300 ; nose wheel left
point.1 = 1, 6.22, 2.70, -4.7, 2500, 0, 0.45, 140, 0.17, 2.52, 0.8, 0, 0, 2, 00, 300 ; nose wheel right

empty_weight_CG_position = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0 // (feet) longitudinal, lateral, vertical

I am not seeing a problem with the rear gear in my sim. Let us know if these help.

NickB
January 28th, 2011, 10:50
Thanks Mal,

Thats improved the situation greatly. The port main wheel (tyre only not rim) still goes through the runway but not as far as before,the tyre just looks a bit flat, but the nose wheels sit nicely on the tarmac.
Its a slow, fat, ugly helicopter but it's one of my favourites and now I can fly it again without being annoyed about the wheels.

Thanks very much Mal, I really appreciate your help.:salute:

NickB
January 28th, 2011, 14:52
Nick, if you let me know what needs fixin' we can get it done right.
post a pic in the thread so i can see what needs adjustment.

mal

Hi Mal,

The attached picture in my first entry in the thread shows the main problem. Basically, the oleo on the port main undercarriage leg does not compress as much as the one on the right side. Its like the shock absorber is broken. This causes the wheel on that strut to go through the surface of the runway. Also, when the helicopter lifts off, the nose wheels do not drop, again, its like the shock absorbers are broken somehow. Changing the contact points has improved the look of the aircraft on the ground but I don't think that its the contact points that are the problem. I think there was a thread last year when Michael Davies, and others looked at the problem but I think it remained unresolved.
If you can't see the pic, its in my screenshots album which you can get to by clicking on the "NickB" next to my avatar.

Cheers
Nick

W. Bleddyn
January 28th, 2011, 15:59
I had a problem with the panel in FSX with the S-55. Gauges woked fine but the panel itself was black. I thought it was probably an Acceleration issue. Does it work fine for you guys?

mal998
January 29th, 2011, 08:38
I had a problem with the panel in FSX with the S-55. Gauges woked fine but the panel itself was black. I thought it was probably an Acceleration issue. Does it work fine for you guys?

No problems with the VC other than it takes a bit of time for the textures to load.

As far as the oleo's not working, I am not seeing that issue in my sim so I would not know how to address it.

Have you tried uninstalling and then re-installing the package?

NickB
January 30th, 2011, 08:46

I found that the panel was obscured and I had duplicate texture files in the "texture" folder and the "texture.RCN" (for example). Look in the "texture" folder and you should have a "panel_t" (or something like, I'm at work so can't confirm) file. If you have a "panel_t" file in "texture.RCN" then remove it (don't delete just in case) then start FSX and look in the Canadian Navy S-55 cockpit and see what the panel looks like. That worked for me.

Mal, if I PM you an email address could you send me a copy of your model files for the S-55 so I can try them?

Cheers
Nick

mal998
January 30th, 2011, 12:58
I found that the panel was obscured and I had duplicate texture files in the "texture" folder and the "texture.RCN" (for example). Look in the "texture" folder and you should have a "panel_t" (or something like, I'm at work so can't confirm) file. If you have a "panel_t" file in "texture.RCN" then remove it (don't delete just in case) then start FSX and look in the Canadian Navy S-55 cockpit and see what the panel looks like. That worked for me.

Mal, if I PM you an email address could you send me a copy of your model files for the S-55 so I can try them?

Cheers
Nick

yes Nick.

W. Bleddyn
January 30th, 2011, 14:13
Thanks for the advice NickB.

Unfortunately I didn't have doubles of panel_t.dds anywhere so that is not what is causing my problem, but I do appreciate the input.

Roger
January 30th, 2011, 14:40
Um, just a thought, you are using the FsX version aren't you?

W. Bleddyn
January 30th, 2011, 14:41
99.9% sure I am...

mal998
January 30th, 2011, 14:56
Open up the aircraft.cfg.

At the top it should read: // ALPHA S-55 FSx V2.2

W. Bleddyn
January 30th, 2011, 15:16
Yes it is version 2.2 and the readme says for FSX.

NickB
February 2nd, 2011, 06:30
Mal,

Replacing the model files worked, my S-55 now sits perfectly on all four wheels. I've still no idea why my version didn't work properly, I downloaded it from flightsim.com (I think) and the aircraft.cfg says its:
// ALPHA S-55 FSx V2.2
// LAST EDITED 24TH FEBRUARY 2009 BY DD

Thanks again Mal:jump:

mal998
February 2nd, 2011, 09:39
...glad I could help. Have fun!

Tako_Kichi
February 2nd, 2011, 09:44
I am seeing the same issues with my S-55. Where did you get the different model file from Mal?

mal998
February 2nd, 2011, 09:49
To be honest, I don't rightly remember, but I must have downloaded it when Alpha was still up and running. They did quite a few FSX conversions before they ceased doing business as Alphasim. PM me your email. I'll send you a set

W. Bleddyn
February 2nd, 2011, 19:06
Would it be ok if I PM'd you for that as well? It may sort out my issue.... worth a try anyways I figure.

mal998
February 3rd, 2011, 08:24
Would it be ok if I PM'd you for that as well? It may sort out my issue.... worth a try anyways I figure.

yep, go right ahead!