PDA

View Full Version : New Rig/Video Card

flamingskull
January 27th, 2011, 07:32
Finally ordered my PC kit today, an AMD quad core 2.2 GHZ processor, with 2 gig of ram. I also ordered a GeForce gtx460 1 gb card, I've been out of the loop for some time now, but I think this should let me run Cfs3 full bore. Anybody using a similar setup or card?:salute:

flamingskull
January 27th, 2011, 09:54
Ok..................................guess not

HouseHobbit
January 27th, 2011, 09:58
Hello flamingskull,
It may take a bit for all to see this to answer..
There are alwys men here willing to help out, and answer any needed question..

I don't computer like yours is.. But i am sure some kind soul is also using something like it..
Just gve them a minute to realize it..:icon_lol:

And welcome to the family..
enjoy..

hairyspin
January 27th, 2011, 10:53
Hmmm. CFS3 likes speed rather than power, so a 3.2GHz dual-core will walk all over a 2.4GHz quad-core. The video card ought to be the bee's knees unless you're running something like a 3500x2200 monitor - just kidding!

I have a 2.8GHz Duo Core with 4GB memory and a 9800GT 512MB video card and get typically 60fps at 1680x1050 full colour plus full AA. Ted's B24 will drag that down to 30fps, but at any lesser resolution I still get typically 60fps on most other aircraft. That tells me the video card is not the bottleneck, it's the processor/memory/motherboard combination. All sliders are on 5 except for clouds at 2.

If you can, a faster processor would be preferable, as would more memory - CFS3 will use a maximum of 2GB, but more memory would free space for the operating system. I'm using XP Pro for these figures.

HTH :wavey:

Daiwilletti
January 27th, 2011, 14:05
Concur with Hairyspin - CFS3 cares more about processor speed than number of cores. There seems to be a quirk where AI ability improves with higher processor speed - at least thats what was concluded in the OFF forums.

My dedicated rig is a slightly overclocked P4 3.6GHz processor with a PCIe 8800GT 512Mb card. Running 5-5-5-5-3 it can struggle around scenery-intensive things like ports in ETO. I could certainly use your video card!

stumpjumper1
January 27th, 2011, 16:30
WELCOME BACK OLD FRIEND FLAMING SKULL YOULL LOVE THE PACIFIC COMEING DOWN THE PIKE

flamingskull
January 28th, 2011, 03:52
Thanks for the feedback guys, for now I'm stuck with the 2.2ghz processor, but I see upgrades in my future! Good to see ya Stump and I can't wait to see some Zeros and palm tress again! Hope we get a P-39 in the Pacific update!