PDA

View Full Version : old computer question

Daveroo
January 27th, 2011, 05:54
my dad is finally upgrading his office computer...he bought it sometime in the 80s and it was expencive then....over 2000 bucks..it is a 386 with windows 3.1 no cd rom,,no internet connection,it has the 5inch floppy drive and a 3.5 inch floppy....he wants to just toss it ( recycle center)..i suggested he or my nephew put it on ebay or graigslist..see if a computer geek type wants it for its "my god thats a dinosaur" factor....the thing is..there is nothing wrong with it..still works GOOD...just cant install new programs on to it...

what do you all say?..sell it to a collector or just toss it?...help please

safn1949
January 27th, 2011, 06:46
Toss it,they are a dime a dozen.I have seen stacks of them and I would doubt anyone would give you anything for it.:jump:

aeromed202
January 27th, 2011, 08:04
Either recycle ($10-$20) it or, if you have the patience, put out some feelers for a buyer. Yup a buyer. There is a very small market for good functioning oldies just to play old games on. They are not supported, and not everyone wants DOS emulators but you may get a nibble. There is a small comp store near me that has them on the shelf for various prices so you never know.

txnetcop
January 27th, 2011, 09:02
Yep I have several old units from the 80s in storage that I will eventually recycle. They are plentiful and non-upgradable.
Ted

Daveroo
January 27th, 2011, 09:14
ah...ok i thought a good running unit might be worth something....ill just let him recycle it

kilo delta
January 27th, 2011, 09:56
If it turns out to be an old Apple 1...I give ya $20 for it!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11825954 ;p