PDA

View Full Version : CFS3 Crash to Desktop During Warp

BATTLEMASTER IIC
January 27th, 2011, 04:40
Hi all, I've been trying to sort out this problem with warping. I have a 3.1a installation of CFS3 (no addons or anything) and it seems that any big mission I fly in which I warp crashes within 3 or 5 miles of the waypoint. This only happens when I warp.

I've done a little forum search and tried lowering the graphics in the sim as some suggested, but that did not get rid of the problem. It still happens.

I don't think it's a limitation of my system either, as this laptop is more than capable of running CFS3.

Anyways I've been trying to fly the "What If" mission "Jets vs Jets", but the sim crashes toward the end of the warp.

Anyway here are my specs:

AMD Turion 64 X2 dual-core processor 2 GHz (set affinity to one core for CFS3)
NVidia 8400M GS with 256 MB onboard RAM
3 GB RAM
Windows 7 Home Edition 32-bit

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

italflyer
January 27th, 2011, 04:46
Do you run CFS3 as admin? (rightclick on the launcher and choose "run as admin")

Have you tried the suggestions in the sticky re Windows7?

Cheers, hope it helps

Old Tiger
January 27th, 2011, 06:01
:wavey:Happened to me a couple times and some other strange things. I have win xp pro.:isadizzy: Never did figure it out. Reinstalled everything took hours. Never happen again :engel016:Thank God for backups.

Wish you luck in finding a fix for it

Trying the suggestions in the sticky re Windows7 is a good idea.:salute:

BATTLEMASTER IIC
January 27th, 2011, 11:28
I've tried everything. I tried making a copy of cfs3.exe and renaming it to cfs3Win7.exe back and forth, set compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3, run as administrator, etc. I have even reinstalled this game two or three times and the warp crash problem is still there.

No matter what compatibility mode I try to run CFS3 in it will still crash between 3 to 4 miles before the warp is complete on the Jets vs. Jets mission. This happens in the first campaign mission as well. I have even reinstalled this game two or three times and the warp crash problem is still there.

Flying missions without warping is fine. It's just the warping that seems to cause problems.

I guess I am just doomed to playing quick flights.

italflyer
January 27th, 2011, 12:45
Well, it crashes 2-3 miles before the end of the last warp? There are several warps in this mission, I just made a short testflight. Was shot down :gameoff: over the target, so I couldn't try the last warp....

gaw
January 27th, 2011, 13:23
had this problem a loooong way back......you will sort it out and all will be well. I often found that a game crashing mission called for a facility/spawned aircraft/vehicle or other element that I'd neglected to put in the game. Open the mission that's causing your problem with the Mission Builder....if there's a missing anything, it'll tell you...find the missing element, install it, reopen MB, reload the mission....etc, until it opens without a warning box. Furthermore, know that each aircraft/vehicle you install must have the proper guns/pylons/weapons in place or the game will crash.....sounds a mess but it's not and you'll sort it out....totally worth it....hang in there

BATTLEMASTER IIC
January 27th, 2011, 13:49
I'll give the mission builder solution a try, but I'm not holding my breath, especially since this is a stock mission that came with CFS3. Then again M$ did make it.

Daiwilletti
January 27th, 2011, 13:53
Hi Battlemaster,
I share GAW's experience of generally there being a missing item if a mission crashes. I really like his suggestion of trying Mission Builder - I never thought of that!

Does the crash only occur on one particular mission? When I get a crash on a campaign mission, I suspect its air spawn file that is snafu.

HTH,
D

gaw
January 27th, 2011, 14:08
you're right......stock missions should work out of the box.....maybe a reinstall may help if nothing else works......and dumb as it sounds.....check that your game resolution settings match your screen resolution settings.....that's a wild card that worked for me in the past with unexplained weirdness

popsaka
January 27th, 2011, 14:33
Check your virtual memory... too little will cause problems like this ...and good luck!!

BATTLEMASTER IIC
January 27th, 2011, 14:37
Check your virtual memory... too little will cause problems like this ...and good luck!!

Isn't 3 GB more than enough?

I tried running all the other regular stock missions and they all crash at some point during warp. In the Jet Set mission with P-80s vs. 262s, I crashed about 25% through the warp.

I tried making a new campaign and for some reason it crashed. This software really hates my computer.

I'll try reinstalling this weekend, as I don't have both disks on me right now. I'm not confident that will fix it though.

EDIT: I just crashed on warp again and checked my RAM usage in the Task Manager. I'm running at about 2.06 GB out of 3 GB. So it seems that RAM is not an issue.

popsaka
January 27th, 2011, 15:11
By virtual memory I meant your swap file...

BATTLEMASTER IIC
January 27th, 2011, 15:28
Oh, well you only need a swap file if the RAM can't handle it, right?

Anyways, what do you recommend as a size for a page file? The max page file size on my computer is 3 GB.

italflyer
January 27th, 2011, 21:53
I once had CFS3 randomly crashing after upgrading my memory. It caused some kind of memory error. The guy at the computer store told me to remove all memory sticks, turn on the computer and shut it off again after the beeps. Then put the memory back in and boot again.

All problems are gone since.

Cheers.

BATTLEMASTER IIC
January 28th, 2011, 04:23
I once had CFS3 randomly crashing after upgrading my memory. It caused some kind of memory error. The guy at the computer store told me to remove all memory sticks, turn on the computer and shut it off again after the beeps. Then put the memory back in and boot again.

All problems are gone since.

Cheers.

Out of curiosity, were your problems only with CFS3 or with other programs?

italflyer
January 28th, 2011, 06:43
Mainly with CFS3, but had other programs crashig rarely too. Did a check with a memory check program and it showed me many errors. Did the as the computer-guy told me. Errors gone, problems with CFS3 gone....

Cheers