PDA

View Full Version : Scrapping the Nimrod

noddy
January 26th, 2011, 23:29
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-12294766

Another sad day for the UK forces.

Matt Wynn
January 27th, 2011, 00:30
yeah was watching about it just on Sky News... spend millions developing MR4A, then they decide to scrap it, these aircraft are somewhat vital as they assist with SAR, do a lot of the sub hunting and in the R1's case carry out ELINT duties... geez government... what next? how about you sell our Lynx's because they don't do so good in Afgh?.... back on track, yeah a sad day seeing the images of them with scaffholding around them being broken up, heres an idea while they're semi-dismantled why not fit the MR4 kit onto them... theres talk of them being replaced by P-8A Poseidon aircraft, be cheaper to MR4 them up in the long run...

stiz
January 27th, 2011, 02:53
and you know what the maddening thing about it all is we had to pay £2 billion to cancel the contract and take it to scrap!... (BAE truely are a load of *****) ... plus they might even cut the tornados down to 60 aircraft from 137 to save about 300 mill a year.

As has been said around most places "People always said if you thought SDSR was bad then just wait until PR11"

It truely is maddening, when they prolly could have saved the 1.3bill by cutting back on overpriced ladders and hammers and of course, officer rank "benifits". As one chap said "LOA should be a flat rate. My loaf of bread, haircut, phone call to the Uk etc would cost just as much as a Senior Officer, so why the difference?"

stansdds
January 27th, 2011, 02:58
Seems much of the West is busy beating their swords into plowshares. Given the nature and history of mankind, it's an unwise move.

stiz
January 27th, 2011, 03:07
Seems much of the West is busy beating their swords into plowshares. Given the nature and history of mankind, it's an unwise move.

cos plowshares are cheaper ... course if the "underpaid" (to quote mps) mps on £65k a year (twice as much as half the country!) actually rudy did summing instead of acting like kids and wan.... eerrrr ... "strokeing" their own egos we might actually have some money!! .. but nooooo its "raise VAT" "raise tax" "add new tax" all whilst being driven around by their driver in a posh highly expensive car, surely a smart car or a ford estate would sufice!

Willy
January 27th, 2011, 11:22
I guess politicians are the same everywhere. Prolly figuring out how to pocket the savings to make up for being "underpaid".

It's not like anyone really needs a military anyway. If war breaks out a Piper Cub with the pilot being armed with a 9mm would be good enough.

b52bob
January 27th, 2011, 15:38
I feel sorry for not only the UK's ability to defend itself but all the industry people now out of work. Think of the RAF and RN personnel not now being able to fly and the cuts to the military.

It's bad enough here in the US but devistating for the UK.

Look out.....here comes the PRC!

centuryseries
January 28th, 2011, 11:30
(BAE truely are a load of *****)

Delays killed it, but surely it would've been better to get a system that was about to come online brought into the inventory and use it than waste all the development time and money by scrapping. I feel this is worse than the TSR2 debacle as we know the capabilities of the mighty hunter already were superb and were only going to get better.

Next thing you know they'll burn the airframes TSR2 style.

brianf51
January 30th, 2011, 10:54
A LOT of similarities if you look for them. A visit by Aunty Hilary to Downing Street and suddenly the MRA4 is on the table for the cuts. Wonder if thats a coincidence that the US are pushing the P8 at the same time.. Not at at suggesting anything like the TSR-2 conspiracy just showing that you can find a 'conspiracy' anywhere if you want to find it..

Now if anyone had asked if the Tonka-Mafia were involved in the Nimrods demise, well don't get me started!!