PDA

View Full Version : 21st century toys "NO MORE"

Cirrus N210MS
January 25th, 2011, 07:20
just talked to a Guy Who Sales BIG 1:18 scale Model Airplanes Display NONE RC

The people who created the Model Airplanes i collected so long ago the creator was forced to close by the Government saying There Toys were a Danger to small Kids

Dang Them! now i cant Get the 1:18 Scale B-25 They were goto Make ........

At Least I Got the TBM Avenger Befor They Went under

AND ITS A BIG BOY! LOL

when i got my Avenger model It was around $90 Now It sales for
Price: $129.95 lol Crazy

OleBoy
January 25th, 2011, 07:29
Sore subject, as I have so many 1:18 scale diecast toys it's pathetic. I was certain to feel the need to go to DTA (Diecast Toys Anon) I quit collecting years ago. All unopened....crazy hobby

Cirrus N210MS
January 25th, 2011, 07:40
Here is a photo of the FLight 19 Version

http://www.warart.com/images/products/598_large_image.jpg

TARPSBird
January 25th, 2011, 07:55
More nanny state BS - as if these big models were kids' toys. Grown-up kids, yes, little kids, no. :mad:

Wittpilot
January 25th, 2011, 16:38
Hey Cirrus... I beilieve another big killer was that Wal-mart stopped carrying their toys... and I am sure that absolutely killed their business... I thought they had some incredible stuff myself... I have a few 1/48 & 1/32 stuff they put out....

Emil Frand
January 25th, 2011, 17:06
The B25 was due out 3-4 years ago no surprise it never made it and yeah when Walmart stopped carrying their stuff it was all downhill for them, great stuff too bad but isnt BBI still around?

http://www.badcattoys.com/1scai21ceblb.html

wombat666
January 25th, 2011, 22:05
My very personal opinion as a model builder from way, way back?
Best news I've heard in a long time.
:jump:
No offence intended but I've always regarded anything 'die-cast' as a blight on the face of the modelling community.
Ever since I noticed one of these overpriced toys (a P-51D) with its exhaust stacks fitted backwards I've looked forward to their demise.
:applause::applause::applause:

Wittpilot
January 26th, 2011, 13:12
My very personal opinion as a model builder from way, way back?
Best news I've heard in a long time.
:jump:
No offence intended but I've always regarded anything 'die-cast' as a blight on the face of the modelling community.
Ever since I noticed one of these overpriced toys (a P-51D) with its exhaust stacks fitted backwards I've looked forward to their demise.
:applause::applause::applause:

Actually 21st Century produced very little, if any, diecast that I am aware of... and even produced 1/32 scale plastic models for like $10!!!! They weren't horrible either....

luckydog
January 29th, 2011, 23:18
Thanks for the warning, Cirrus.................

Scoured the internet and found/bought a P-38 Lightning, F-6 Hellcat, AM6 Zero, and P-51, each for less than $100 (barely). Also found an F4U, but these models are so big, I don't know if I'd have room for it hangin' from the ceiling of my pooter-room. I'll send some pics if anyone's interested...

LD

wombat666
January 30th, 2011, 01:06
Actually 21st Century produced very little, if any, diecast that I am aware of... and even produced 1/32 scale plastic models for like $10!!!! They weren't horrible either....

Witt,
apologies for the 'Diecast Slur', but the vast number of this 'pre-built' stuff that has flooded the market seems to be 'Made In China' and out of ordinary 'Pot Metal'.
As a model builder from way back I can't understand why so many people pay silly prices for very average mass produced builds, most of which are best viewed from a couple of metres minimum distance ....... I've come across some 'collectors' who have around 500 diecast cars in 1:18th scale taking over their homes!!!
I build mostly from scratch and mostly for a circle of clients who own 1:1 scale Classic cars, who can and will pay very well.

Aside from enjoying the task (most of the time!) it funds my own 911RS restoration project!
I will admit to building models based on kits, but usually as a commission and then I can never build straight out of the box!
Most of these are clients who build to a decent standard but often want one or two 'Special' models as a centre piece for their work.
I can just about build Mansell Williams FW14 and Senna MacLarens (Tamiya 1:12th) with my eyes closed .........:mixedsmi:

Wittpilot
January 30th, 2011, 07:37
No offense taken Wombat... I don't own too many diecast myself, mostly because of the $$ ... If I find a good deal on something that looks nice, I will snatch it up.. .For Instance; years back Matchbox came out with a collector series of 1/72 diecaset.... Sometimes I found them for $7 at Toys R Us. I loved these things, they were accurate, metal, and cheap! They had several WWI, WWII, and some Korea/Vietnam lanes.... My wife broke my SPAD which I still browse eBay for every once in a while to replace... the WWI planes were nice because you could sit them on their wheels.

My uncle who is also an avid model builder also hates die cast with a passion, so you aren't a lone in your feelings....

Also Wombat, I just bought a '48 Ford Coupe model off of eBay, (only one on all of eBay) for my mother-in-law's bday... It was her first car..... Only problem is, I HATE BUILDING MODEL CARS!!

I don't know what it is about them, but they just don't go together like an airplane... Maybe it's the gloss paint, I always seem to screw up a a gloss paint job!!!

-witt

Daveroo
January 30th, 2011, 08:06
Witt,
apologies for the 'Diecast Slur', but the vast number of this 'pre-built' stuff that has flooded the market seems to be 'Made In China' and out of ordinary 'Pot Metal'.
As a model builder from way back I can't understand why so many people pay silly prices for very average mass produced builds, most of which are best viewed from a couple of metres minimum distance ....... I've come across some 'collectors' who have around 500 diecast cars in 1:18th scale taking over their homes!!!
I build mostly from scratch and mostly for a circle of clients who own 1:1 scale Classic cars, who can and will pay very well.

Aside from enjoying the task (most of the time!) it funds my own 911RS restoration project!
I will admit to building models based on kits, but usually as a commission and then I can never build straight out of the box!
Most of these are clients who build to a decent standard but often want one or two 'Special' models as a centre piece for their work.
I can just about build Mansell Williams FW14 and Senna MacLarens (Tamiya 1:12th) with my eyes closed .........:mixedsmi:

well wombat..you are a lucky man...i was once a model builder..started with a monogram model t hotrod way back in the day...then got into military stuff in 1/35th scale and started building dioramas and building from scratch...my shed is full of mini armys...BUT..after having been injured..i had reduced eyesight and my hands shack so bad i cant use them to build with so ive gone to diecast and i really enjoy my 1/72nd scale corgi ,gemmini jets ect diecast...i have a skyraider on my desk now that has NO flaws in it at all..but my point is..i dont have the ability to build anylonger and i hate to see the builders go...i wasnt a big fan of the company in question as i have a few of the 1/32nd scale military vehicals and..well they are infact toys in my opinion...but...i enjoy my diecast

WarHorse47
January 30th, 2011, 08:58
well wombat..you are a lucky man...i was once a model builder..started with a monogram model t hotrod way back in the day...then got into military stuff in 1/35th scale and started building dioramas and building from scratch...my shed is full of mini armys...BUT..after having been injured..i had reduced eyesight and my hands shack so bad i cant use them to build with so ive gone to diecast and i really enjoy my 1/72nd scale corgi ,gemmini jets ect diecast...i have a skyraider on my desk now that has NO flaws in it at all..but my point is..i dont have the ability to build anylonger and i hate to see the builders go...i wasnt a big fan of the company in question as i have a few of the 1/32nd scale military vehicals and..well they are infact toys in my opinion...but...i enjoy my diecastLooks like the times are a changing.

I was a model builder myself. In younger days I had model aircraft everywhere in my room - on my desk and hanging from the ceiling. They all disappeared over time. After my marriage and while raising a family, I returned to those days but instead focused on model Porsches. Part of the fun was tracking down out-of-stock models at out-of-the-way hobby shops around the state. I even had a small business building 1/18 scale Corvettes for friends.

As I got older so did the models. They were hard to maintain in their display cases. Decals started chipping and clear coats started to yellow. They were becoming a high maintenance item to keep the collection together, and the hands and eyesight were making repairs challenging. Over time I converted to diecasts - all 1/18 scale Corvettes.

My diecast collection today is extensive, but by focusing on historical, racing Corvettes the majority are high quality (even if made in China). I can take them out of their cases and share the collection with others. The scale makes it easier to see the details, althought they do take up a lot of room.

It seems that the age of building plastic scale models belongs to the young and dedicated.

:ernae:
--WH

Wulf190
January 30th, 2011, 10:53
I had their 1/18 P-38, but I gave it to a friend of mine who is a much bigger P-38 fan then me. Besides, it was HUGE!

I do have their 1/48 scale Ki-61 though. I really like how they went to produce Axis warbirds that aren't very widely known in the 'toy' circles. I always wondered why they didn't make more 'smaller' scale toys.

Wittpilot
January 30th, 2011, 15:20
. I always wondered why they didn't make more 'smaller' scale toys.

They actually had several 1/144 plastic airplanes they sold... I think I grabbed all of them at one point or another... Spitfire, P-51, FW-190, P-47, Me-262....