PDA

View Full Version : Naval Questions Part 7

Collin
November 30th, 2008, 11:16
Remember, these questions were composed between 1940 and 1945.

Questions

61 What is the naval equivalent of "giving someone a raspberry"?

62 What is a "stone frigate"?

63 What do the letters F.R.M.O. stand for?

64 What are the "heads" in a ship?

65 What is a "make-and-mend pudding"?

66 Who is the "Jaunty"?

67 What is the naval equivalent of being fed up?

68 What is a Maren?

69 What is the nickname of the Commander in an H.M. ship?

70 And the First Lieutenant?

Answers next Sunday, good luck all.

regards Collin:ernae:

Captain Tenneal
November 30th, 2008, 13:26
I'm sorry the answer we were looking for was "Moops."

Well, I guess I'll have to pick myself up, dust myself off, and throw myself right back down again!

hewman100
December 1st, 2008, 03:09
62. I'd guess at a Shore base
64. the toilets
66. Master-at-Arms
69. The Bloke
70. 'Jimmy the One'

wildcat400
December 1st, 2008, 03:14
64. the toilets

Technically. "The Head" is the bathroom in general. "I'm going to go to the head and brush my teeth."

Captain Tenneal
December 1st, 2008, 06:47
Originally Posted by hewman100 http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?p=48734#post48734)
64. the toilets

Technically. "The Head" is the bathroom in general. "I'm going to go to the head and brush my teeth."

I'm afraid that what Collin is looking for is not that obvious what I think it might be is

That part of older sailing ships forward of the forecastle and around the beak, the head which for sailing ships projected from the bows witch coincidently was used by the crew as the crapper :bs: I.E. the calling the crapper the "head"

Captain Tenneal
December 1st, 2008, 07:03
61 What is the naval equivalent of "giving someone a raspberry"?

Blowing a raspberry or making a Bronx cheer is to make a noise made to signify derision, made by sticking out the tongue between the lips and blowing to make a sound reminiscent of flatulence. In the terminology of phonetics, this sound does not appear to have an official name, but might be characterized as a labiolingual trill.

Nomenclature varies: in the US, Bronx cheer is sometimes used; otherwise, in the US and in other English speaking countries, it is known as a raspberry, rasp or razz — the origin of which is an instance of Cockney rhyming slang, where the non-rhyming part of a rhyming phrase is used as a synonym. In this case, "raspberry tart" rhymes with "fart", and is first recorded in 1890 .

Captain Tenneal
December 1st, 2008, 11:19
63 What do the letters F.R.M.O. stand for?

Fleet Royal Marines Officer

65 What is a "make-and-mend pudding"?

is a slang name for a stodgy pudding which should assist
its eaters to sleep heavily after lunch.

67 What is the naval equivalent of being fed up?

CHOCK A BLOCK, CHOCKER Chock-a-block is an old Naval expression, meaning "Complete" or "Full up"; synonyms were "Two blocks" and "Block and block". It derives from the use of a hauling tackle - when the two blocks of the purchase were touching each other the lower one could obviously be hoisted no further, and so the work was completed. Modern slang has corrupted the expression to "Chocker", meaning "Fed up"

68 What is a Maren?

star of the sea

Collin
December 7th, 2008, 15:42
Answers

61 Giving him "a bottle".

62 A naval shore establishment.

63 Fleet Royal Marine Officer.

64 Lavatories.

65 Jam Roll.

66 The Master-at-Arms.

67 Toothsucking.

68 A Wren attached to the Royal Marines.

69 "The Bloke".

70 "Jimmy the One".

Well done all for trying.

regards Collin:ernae: