PDA

View Full Version : Got any tips, tricks or advice on the Saitek X-52 Pro?

rayrey10
January 24th, 2011, 13:34
My old joystick went belly up so I decided to get an Saitek X-52 Pro. I like it so far. Definitely better than the Logitech joystick I was using.

So does anybody have any tips or tricks? I would like to take advantage of all of the features but I have no idea how to go about setting it up...I'm trying to figure out that SST software.

Desert Rat
January 24th, 2011, 14:08
Great stick ain't it? Hoping I can always afford to never go back to £35-50 sticks, whilst I loved them at the time, my X52 has become my all time fav.

As for set up, I have set as many engine controls to the throttle and kept the flight controls on the stick. The three blue buttons on the throttle are for battery, starter, generator. I've set the two wheels to mixture and prop. You might have guessed I fly props most, lol. But don't worry about that, the mode switch can be used to set the buttons up for different controls, ie. mode 1 - prop stuff, mode 2 - jets, mode 3 - helo's. Just a rough idea. I also disabled the mini-stick (mouse emulation) apart from causing trouble, I found it pointless, I have a mouse and it's a damn sight easier to use. Now I can use the mouse button and wheel for other stuff :d wheel is elev trim, button is avionics master. ministick is for twiddling my thumb on long flights, it does nothing so far. The hat on the throttle is for the other trim functions.

Main hat on stick is normal, second hat toggles views(L/R) and zooms in/out (up/down). other buttons are used for brakes (second stop on trigger is thrust reverse) flaps, cowl flaps, gear, hook, tail wheel lock (pinkie button), etc, etc.

This works for me, still tweaking though and mine is a year old now, good luck, you'll love it,
Jamie

Z-claudius24
January 24th, 2011, 14:24
Hi,

I don't wish you this .. but one day (if you use the twist stick as a rudder command) you will be confronted with the problem (as I was .. and many .. many users of the Saitek X52 or X52 Pro) .......
So better to know in advance some way to correct it !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZGEmbJ7JuI
Also .. keep in mind that this is no way to calibrate the Saitek X52 (it's auto-calibration) or adjust axis sensibilities.
Hopefully .. you can adjust dead zones :)
In case of problems (axis non centered .. etc..) simply disconnect and reconnect the hotas can solve the problem.
Reinstall the drivers can be also a way (sometime they become corrupted for some reason)
The SST software is a pure gem and very easy to use.
You can also make some researches on Youtube about the X52 .. it's many tech tips ....

whitehawk_2009
January 24th, 2011, 14:48
How'd you disable the ministick?

WH

Z-claudius24
January 24th, 2011, 16:01
Hi,

How'd you disable the ministick?Don't touch it !! or knock it with a hammer LOL .... OR
You can disable it in the device manager AFAIK (under Win XP at least)

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/maur2/Image1-1.jpg

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb186/maur2/Image2-1.jpg

Desert Rat
January 24th, 2011, 16:25
I tried that, gave me CDT every time. I created a profile (named FS9) and had it load on boot. I changed the ministick assignments to directional axis instead of mouse X/Y with the intention of using them for something else, never got them to work, but happy that it was no longer the mouse knocked by my thumb every time I moved my hand.I'm not entirely sure I've remembered everything I did, was a while ago and I was trying lots of things, makes you unsure what worked, lol.

rayrey10
January 24th, 2011, 17:20
Thanks fellas! Appreciate the info.

One more question: is there a way to print out what button/wheel/switch is assigned to do what command?

Terry
January 25th, 2011, 01:48
This is all I have ever needed, no profile. Once you get the joystick main in the cfg set the way you want it, save that section in case you need to generate a new cfg file.

[JOYSTICK_MAIN {350072A0-30B1-11DE-8002-444553540000}]
AXIS_EVENT_00=AXIS_AILERONS_SET
AXIS_SCALE_00=64
AXIS_NULL_00=36
AXIS_EVENT_01=AXIS_ELEVATOR_SET
AXIS_SCALE_01=64
AXIS_NULL_01=37
AXIS_EVENT_02=AXIS_THROTTLE_SET
AXIS_SCALE_02=127
AXIS_NULL_02=1
AXIS_EVENT_03=AXIS_RUDDER_SET
AXIS_SCALE_03=64