PDA

View Full Version : Graphics issues

Brainless
January 24th, 2011, 11:54
Hi Guys
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but here goes with apologises if I've posted incorrectly.

I've been getting these distorted graphics displays recently after a new instal (see my previous 'Hello again' post). I've tried everythinfg to get rid of the problem. It happens quite randomly so it's difficult to pin down. I'm running in an Asus Striker II 3.33 duo processor with the latest nVidia drivers.

I've posted a picture of the issue. Does anyone have a solution or know of a resolution?

It seems to go away if I disable one of the cores but as it is random I'm not sure if this is the ultimate answer.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

All the best

Daiwilletti
January 24th, 2011, 18:23
Hi Brainless :wavey:,
have you tried turning down the graphics sliders to see what happens? Running cfsconfig.exe gives access to graphics detail sliders. If you start by turning the sliders down to 2 or 3, and if that fixes the problem start to turn them up until you get the distortions again.

The other thing is to get hold of instructions on how to get a good setup in cfsconfig. I hope I am not telling you stuff you already are familiar with. One thing which used to help (but may not be so important with newer graphics cards) is to uncheck the "dual pass render" box in config. Enable the next box down instead.

The key with modifying your config file by running cfsconfig.exe, is to exit by choosing "exit" in the drop down menu, NOT by clicking on the "x" in the top right of the window.

A good set of instructions on config setup are found in the "Garage Corner" section of the old Groundcrew Designs website, which can now be found at regshanger.com. The instructions are about how to set up 2048 resolution for aircraft.

If you have something like Rivatuner you can get much more detailed, doing things like ensuring fog table emulation is switched on, etc.

Hope one of these things helps,
D

Daiwilletti
January 24th, 2011, 18:26
Oh, and if this is a new install replacing a previous install, it might be worth deleting the old configoverrides file under the Application Data pathway?

Brainless
January 25th, 2011, 01:11
Hi Guys

Thanks for the support with this. I've tried most of the stuff you suggested but I have all sliders set to 5 except clouds on 1 in the config. so I'll set them down to 4 and see what happens.

The thing with this is that the sim runs for maybe an hour or two with no problems and then all of a sudden the graphics go haywire so it's all a bit wierd!

All the best and thanks again for the pointers.

Brainless
January 25th, 2011, 01:17
Oh, and if this is a new install replacing a previous install, it might be worth deleting the old configoverrides file under the Application Data pathway?

Hmm.. this is interesting. I never thought to look in the Application Data but I just looked and there are three configoverrides showing so I've deleted them all and will start again. Maybe that will fix it. Many thanks for the heads up on that.:salute:

OldCrow
January 25th, 2011, 02:13
Hi Guys

Thanks for the support with this. I've tried most of the stuff you suggested but I have all sliders set to 5 except clouds on 1 in the config. so I'll set them down to 4 and see what happens.

The thing with this is that the sim runs for maybe an hour or two with no problems and then all of a sudden the graphics go haywire so it's all a bit wierd!

All the best and thanks again for the pointers.This might be an overheating issue.

Make sure all of your fan-grills are clean.
You can try running for a longtime with your case open, and maybe a fan blowing inside and see if it does it. If it doesn't, well I would bet that's your problem.

Brainless
January 27th, 2011, 01:33
Thanks guys for all the advice with this. I've now nailed the problem. I ran the sim yesterday all afternoon with various aircraft in the ETO series with no problems. I've have to say yet again the cockpits and aircraft detail is quite remarkable and hats off to all you talented artisans and a big thank you for all the hard work invovled for creating them for us 'Brainless' ones:jump:.

No it seems the problem is with the aircraft. When I select the BOA Cat Attack 01 anti U-boat mission in the Battle of Britain era the Catalina aircraft produces the graphics corruption after running for a rew minutes. If I select the ETO Catalina IIa or the ETO Catalina MKIIIA the same thing happens but if I select the ETO Catalina..MKIII-A then everything runs fine with all the sliders maxed out.

Quite why this is I do not know as all the aircraft look very similar and the cockipits seem the same. Obviously there is either something missing in the aircraft files when I installed but I would have thought the sim would have identified that and thrown up an error message at start up or alternatively there is a compatability issue.

Maybe someone can try this mission on a different system and let me know if they have the same problem. If the I'm the only one with the issue then I will have to obtain revised aircrfat files from somewhere.

All the best and thanks again for the support.

Brainless
January 27th, 2011, 11:54
Thanks guys for all the advice with this. I've now nailed the problem. I ran the sim yesterday all afternoon with various aircraft in the ETO series with no problems. I've have to say yet again the cockpits and aircraft detail is quite remarkable and hats off to all you talented artisans and a big thank you for all the hard work invovled for creating them for us 'Brainless' ones:jump:.

No it seems the problem is with the aircraft. When I select the BOA Cat Attack 01 anti U-boat mission in the Battle of Britain era the Catalina aircraft produces the graphics corruption after running for a rew minutes. If I select the ETO Catalina IIa or the ETO Catalina MKIIIA the same thing happens but if I select the ETO Catalina..MKIII-A then everything runs fine with all the sliders maxed out.

Quite why this is I do not know as all the aircraft look very similar and the cockipits seem the same. Obviously there is either something missing in the aircraft files when I installed but I would have thought the sim would have identified that and thrown up an error message at start up or alternatively there is a compatability issue.

Maybe someone can try this mission on a different system and let me know if they have the same problem. If the I'm the only one with the issue then I will have to obtain revised aircrfat files from somewhere.

All the best and thanks again for the support.

UPDATE

Hmmm.... I have now flown the ETO Catalina IIa and the ETO Catalina MKIIIA in other missions without a problem so go figure!!

I can only think there is some sort of memory 'leak' or something reduciing the memory so that the video card has run out of steam although I've got quite a large memory 1024mb I believe.

I seem to remember there was an issue with the Dover Cliffs and port scenery and wondered if that has something to do with the problem but I'm now at a loss to know what more I can do to resolve the issue other than using the ETO Catalina..MKIII-A in the Dover area.

Daiwilletti
January 27th, 2011, 13:57
Hi Brainless,
thanks for keeping on with the updates - its very useful to get follow-up. Good info for everyone as none of us are immune from CFS3's little quirks!!?**&##$%

D

Brainless
February 3rd, 2011, 09:48
Hi Brainless,
thanks for keeping on with the updates - its very useful to get follow-up. Good info for everyone as none of us are immune from CFS3's little quirks!!?**&##$%

D

FURTHER UPDATE

I have now discovered that my problems have nothing whatever to do with aircraft files, scenery files, weather files or any of those issues. The random crashes are I believe solely due to video card settings. Having played about with these over the last few days I have now ( I hope) eliminated the random crashes by changing various Nvidia Control panel settings. At least the crashes are not a problem for now (I hope I haven't spoken too soon!!).:isadizzy:

All best and thanks again for the support.

rouge34rtw
February 7th, 2011, 16:45
Graphics cards (ecspecially newer ones) and the driver updates released by nVidia or ATI often do not work as promised. The companies are putting out new GPU series at a blistering rate, and trying to write blanket version drivers that work with the latest round of new GPU's as well as a very long list of older cards too. Personally, I have a GeForce GTX275 OCE 896Mb GPU from BFG Tech. My GPU is only 14 months old now, but already I am seeing the latest Forceware drivers being released to support the new GTX5xx cards. It is not always best to install the latest drivers available from nVidia, the newest drivers support my card, but do not offer any additional enhancments for it. I will suggest you consider trying an older version of the drivers for your card, or just another release, (for emaple in the forceware 250.xx drivers there were many different versions, 251.57, 251.68, 253.28, 253,67, 255.24, etc, etc, etc....) When I first installed my GTX 275, I spent about 4 or 5 weeks reading posts at forums like the ones at guru3d.com or nvidia.com from other people with the same card as me, the problems they faced, and the solutions that worked for them. I tried many different driver versions starting with the initial version release that provided support for my GTX275 and working my way up from there. I even tried some BETA and modded drivers that you won't find on nVidia's support site (available at guru3d.com for free). Each different set of drivers gave me very different results and behaviors from my GPU.....some were very frustrating, and others were awesome except for one or two glitches they caused. After much trial, error, and lots of reading at various forums...I settled on the 258.96 version of nVidia's Forceware drivers, and haven't needed to update or mod them since. Listening to your description of your graphics woes, I have a feeling you just dont have the drivers that work best for your card installed. Check out the support forums at guru3d.com, and at ATI or nVidia.com (depending on your GPU), and if you have a BFG Tech, or XFX, or other brand name card, go to their site and check out the forums.....I guarantee that you are not the only person experiencing the issues you described with the GPU you have installed....others have gone before you, and have posted a solution to the problem somewhere....

Good luck