PDA

View Full Version : Pedal peril and throttle trouble

Stickshaker
January 23rd, 2011, 22:50
I bought the new Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and have a severe problem: after braking, the brakes will not release. When pressing a brake I get the usual message ‘differential brake) in the left corner of the monitor, but when I release the brake the message ‘brakes’ remains. The same problem occurs in CGF3.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
So fat I have done the following:<o:p></o:p>
1: Unchecked the ‘reverse’ button in the Options/Controls/Axis assignment tab.<o:p></o:p>
2: Checked the Perform action when released’ under the same tab.<o:p></o:p>
3: Disconnected the pedals both inside and outside FSX, with and without restarting the computer.<o:p></o:p>
4: Plugged the pedals into a different UB port (the port I originally used was used in the past for my CH Pro Pedals so I thought that some CH USB control software might still be resident, interfering with the new pedals).<o:p></o:p>
5: I even had a look at the manual…<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Nothing solved the problem and I am out of my wits. Is there perhaps someone on his forum who knows a solution? I looked around on the Internet but could not find anything. May it indeed be a problem with software from previous pedal configurations?<o:p></o:p>
And it is getting worse….<o:p></o:p>
Now my brand-new Thrustmaster Warthog throttle is not recognized anymore. The five LEDs in the back are on, but the rest of the LEDs are off. The calibration window in the Control Panel and the TARGET software only recognize the joystick. I tried pulling the USB plug out and in again, and re-installing the software, but nothing helps. I have fond memories of my trusty old Cougar…<o:p></o:p>
Is there anyone who has had the same issues and found solutions?<o:p></o:p>
Thanks!<o:p></o:p>

roger-wilco-66
January 24th, 2011, 00:38
What OS are you using?

I know also know these troubles, expecially with saitek hardware, and I'm about to rip the electronics out of that stuff and attach the potentiometers and buttons to something like this

http://www.leobodnar.com/products/BU0836A/

This might not be the solution for everyone, though.

What helped me with messed up USB configurations was do deinstall the usb drivers for the offending devices, and delete all the "zombie" USB device drivers in the XP / win7 device manager (important). See, if you connect an USB device in a port, the OS installs the driver for the specific port, and never deinstalls it again, even if you plug it into another port. This messes the USB configuration up to a point where you cannot plug in devices like usb sticks or HID devices anymore without an error (ever had any usb-sticks that weren't recognized anymore??).
To delete the "zombie" devices, you have to open the device manager and navigate to "view", where you can make the invisible or blended out devices visible again, and then to the proper entry where you will probably see a lot of devices that have been plugged in before. To make sure, you can switch the views to see the difference. Delete the Zombies all, reboot and reconnect your hardware.
I do that once in a while as sort of preventive maintenance.

HTH
Mark

ps: don't use the Saitek or other configuration software if you can map all the buttons / axis in FSX, as this seems to mitigate the problems. Also the calibration in the windows gamecontroller configuration can make things act up and is not really needed with modern, selfcalibrating hardware.

Murray Cod
January 24th, 2011, 18:54
in the controller setup inside FSX have you tried reducing the sensitivity? The game originally had my rudder pedals as supersensitive, so that even when I thought i was off the brake pedals, I still had the 'brake' message appearing on screen. It made my takeoff rolls very long indeed.

Stickshaker
January 25th, 2011, 06:37
Thanks so much for these useful tips! I will try them and also have some information from Thrustmaster support. Real life is a but busy but I’ll report back as soon as I tried the suggestions or found another solution (this weekend at the latest).

scottmm73
January 25th, 2011, 10:41
This same problem can occur if you have the brake axis defined in both FSX and the Saitek software. My recommendation is... well first if you have the registered copy of FSUIPC, use that instead of FSX or the Saitek software. Second, remove all instances of the axis/buttons of the Saitek controller from the FSX controllers dialog and only have them defined in the Saitek software.

flyingip
January 26th, 2011, 05:20
I also just configured the Combat pedals, be sure to set Null zone to 0. :)

LonelyplanetXO
January 26th, 2011, 23:33
Yep, I just spent 3 hours setting up my Saitek Pro pedals, yolk, throttles and stick for new PC. What a blimmin mission! Ok, first the brakes thing. Saitek pedals need to be set just right for FS9 or X. Forget the Saitek configurator thing and FSUIPC. In FS, controls/sensitivities under "Saitek Pro Pedals" (and nothing else) set the sensivity to about 80%, null zone to zero. That will allow differential brakes to work and release.
Getting a red "brakes" message? Ok, thats 'cos you have a conflict with another controller. Go to assignments and select each available controller, one at a time. Select "all commands" and scroll through looking for joystick assignments. Delete any joystick assignments (NOT key assignments) that you see, related to brakes. Even if you want an assignment, delete it - you can reassign it later. Do each connected device - including the pedals, one at a time. Brakes still stick? Repeat the last step until you get 'em all.
Differential pedal brakes will now work and brakes will release. While you're in assignments, go through the "Saitek Pro Pedals" section and delete all assignments - the pedals just use axes, not assignments so any assignments at all will screw up your other controllers. If you're flying later and the airplane starts doing random things like an Airbus, you didnt read the last sentence properly. (I can tell you that from experience).
As for the thrustmaster thing, yoiu say "not recognised anymore". Anymore? So they did work? Uninstall any software, unplug em and then install software, plug em in when prompted and see how you go. Cant really help as I dont have that kit. If you get it recognised - and you will, with patience - You may have to repeat the above process to eliminate conflict issues with the joystick too. This stuff is complex & frustrating but you'll get there. Once its set, forget it - it'll be fine for years. Unless of course, you buy a new PC...DOH!...

LPXO

Stickshaker
February 1st, 2011, 10:16
The pedals work fine in FSX now thanks to the tips I received – not using the Saitek control software and deleting all suspect brake assignments seems to have done the trick. Thanks you all for your help!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
In CFS3 the pedal brakes still work in the wrong direction and I can’t reverse them. I put out a support request but did not get a useful answer as yet.<o:p></o:p>
The Warthog throttle still does not work. It seems that on rare occasions Asus Motherboards interfere with the throttle so that it stops working after some time. But Thrustmaster has promised me a new throttle. I’ll keep you posted.