PDA

View Full Version : OT: The weirdest things...

whitehawk_2009
January 23rd, 2011, 21:21
will cause you problems.

I had been having troubles with the wireless card on my gaming rig for about 6 months. It was real hard to keep a steady connection, and when I did, it was no where near fast enough for online gaming. Since that's what I built the thing for, I was not happy.

Because I am on the other side of the house from the router, I figured the signal was getting degraded too much. So, I got an older router off ebay, put dd-wrt on it, and tried using it as a repeater. This was a little better, but no where near what I needed.

So I got frustrated and left my computer alone for a while.

Today I started it up to try and run updates, and work on my cable management. I unplugged everything and started up my rig. Lo and behold, I had a great internet connection! So I run my updates and then started plugging everything in. I turn on my speakers and my podcasts stop downloading. I turned my speakers on and off three times until I was sure that was the problem. Turns out my speaker cable had been draped over the antenna for my wireless card and it must have caused some interference that was blocking the signal. A little masking tape to keep the wire away from the antenna, and I'm back!

Time to brush up for the RTW!

WH