PDA

View Full Version : Colourful Comets.

Desert Rat
January 22nd, 2011, 14:17
Just to let you know I'm still painting the Comets, real life and a short break to have some relaxation put these on pause,but now back at it. Old thread is dead, plus during house-keeping removed all my attachments, so as well starting a new one.

K-5084, The Burberry & Australian Anniversary.

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 22nd, 2011, 14:19
...in both race numbers, 3 and 16..

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 22nd, 2011, 14:22
plane vanilla French schemes, other more exciting will follow...

F-ANPZ and F-ANPY

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 22nd, 2011, 14:25
just basic ones to begin with, I'll trysome more adventurous ones after the realones are finished.

PRU blue, trainer yellow, Sky & PRU pink

Jamie

OleBoy
January 22nd, 2011, 15:35
I not too recently found this one in both FS9 and X. A very nicely done model. Also very fun to fly!

nazca_steve
January 22nd, 2011, 17:49
Very nice Jamie, I like the little Castrol logo on the cowling of the Aussie one.

Duckie
January 22nd, 2011, 18:34
Very nicely done, Jamie. :ernae:

Steve

edmoore235
January 22nd, 2011, 20:46
Very very nice work. Any chance to see the French Mail aircraft? Not sure of colors ectra.? Thanks for sharing - like the looks of all your work Sir. Take care.

Ed

Desert Rat
January 23rd, 2011, 02:17
Very very nice work. Any chance to see the French Mail aircraft? Not sure of colors ectra.? Thanks for sharing - like the looks of all your work Sir. Take care.

Ed

Ed,

the 2 French ones are above, F-ANPY & F-ANPZ, they both wore the above schemes, F-ANPY also wore the 'Cité d'Angoulême IV' legend with pennants on the tail and some nose-art, can't quite make it out, if anyone has some info please step forward. F-ANPZ at some point was tested by the Armee de l'Air and wore French roundels and possibly the serial code E-109. Both French Comets wore the bright red throughout.

The link to my main source of info again,
http://www.xs4all.nl/~tozu/dh88/index.htm

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 23rd, 2011, 02:21
I not too recently found this one in both FS9 and X. A very nicely done model. Also very fun to fly!

When I've had my fill, I'll upload my paint kits so maybe someone can update them for FSX, I don't do anything with X apart from fly, it's my escape from the constant tweaking I find myself doing in 9, lol. Hence I have no painting experience in X, nor do I want it, then I may start tweaking that too, :isadizzy:

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 23rd, 2011, 02:28
Thanks for the comments guys, they're nothing to fancy, just a bit of fun. Not completely accurate either, the mapping has meant artistic license has played a decent part with positioning, etc. Also there are some really bad mapping 'anomalies' on the inner nacelles, they are present in the default paints too. Nothing I can do about that, sorry.

I also can find no reference as to where the 'Reine Astrid' legend is placed on the green'un. I may opt for the nose as opposed to the nacelles as it would mean it would also show on the inner nacelles where those anomolies exist :banghead:

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 24th, 2011, 15:40
For Ed & Corsair,

the French ones dressed up posh.

The diagonal band is a guess, it's visible in the picture at the aforementioned site, colour unknown. Also the nose art on F-ANPY is best guess, on one side only, is both sides more likely? Also have no clue what it represents. Also mapping has meant that the roundels have had to be brought inwards a bit, in reality they were further out and crossed over onto the ailerons, mapping made this impossible, sorry.

Jamie

edmoore235
January 24th, 2011, 21:02
It is a fact of life, the limits of the default microsoft aircraft limit a lot of really neat stuff. I really admire all that you have done!!! Well done - Bravo.

Two more Comets
A fourth Comet, F-ANPZ, was built for the French (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/France) government, with a mail compartment in the nose. I see that you have a repaint of this one.

The fifth and last Comet named G-ADEF Boomerang was built for Cyril Nicholson, and piloted by Tom Campbell Black (of Grosvenor House fame) and J.C.McArthur in an attempt on the London-Cape Town (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Town) record. It reached Cairo (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairo) in a record 11hr 18 min but the Cape Town attempt was abandoned due to oil trouble. I have tried to find a picture but no joy.
Thanks and take care.

Ed

Desert Rat
January 24th, 2011, 23:22
Ed,

use this link -> http://www.xs4all.nl/~tozu/dh88/index.htm

at the top click 'the five comets'.

You will find info and pics about all five comets. Boomerang is going to test my patience with the mapping, especially the nacelles.

Jamie

Matt Wynn
January 24th, 2011, 23:50
Great site that Jamie, and great work on the -88's :salute:

love the looks of that Caudron and the Grigorovich...

Desert Rat
January 25th, 2011, 00:14
love the looks of that Caudron and the Grigorovich...

that's 'cos they look like Comets, lol. I have no idea if they are modelled for FS, sure would be nice to have them though.

Jamie

edmoore235
January 25th, 2011, 02:32
Wow, fun site. That German what-if is really cool but most likely impossible to repaint default DH88 that way. Your repaints look outstanding. Thank you for sharing. Take care.

Ed

Desert Rat
January 25th, 2011, 03:21
Yup Ed,

I am going to try it, things might need to be moved and/or scaled, but should be able to get something done.

I do think that Grovsenor House II should be a Mossie though, I'll maybe get round to painting the AH/JF one in a 'what-if' scheme. One day, lol. I aim to do the Royal Blue one too.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, most schemes above are done, others underway. The VC textures need finished as they use a sepparate bmp for the exterior when viewed from the VC. Someone had a real brain-fart with that one, lol.

Jamie

Desert Rat
January 29th, 2011, 13:33
...guess I'm just avoiding re-doing all the textures for the internal views, lol.

Probably my fav scheme so far, introducing SALAZAR.

She used to be 'Black Magic', acquired by the Portuguese and later re-found, currently undergoing restoration.

Jamie

edmoore235
January 29th, 2011, 14:15
What a wonderful job - a really neat paint job. Jamie, is it really needed to redo the views. It is just a very small pieces of the wing & tail. I would download and use all your repaints even without the redo. Take care.

Ed

wbuchart
January 29th, 2011, 15:58
Once this thread started I dusted off my Comet and did a little tinkering with the FM and effects just waiting for these skins to get uploaded. Since most of us probably don't fly the stock FS9 aircraft anymore we tend to forget how cool some of them are. So, Jamie, just a little note to remind you there IS definitely interest for these.....Anxiously patient.........Bill

Desert Rat
January 29th, 2011, 16:11
Thanks guys, glad they're of interest.

I messed around with the FM myself some, she does seem to fly nice enough, hitting top speed requires some mixture control and best altitude. Problem is she's a little slow to accelerate, and almost impossible to slow down, yikes!! If I'm not careful she'll creep very slowly to overspeed, and nothing stops her, lol.

Jamie

PS. have to admit, I love some of the defaults, Comet, Cub, C172, Baron, Ford, etc. Dunno why, just a little character about them I suppose. I have hundreds of pounds of Payware, still have plenty time for the defaults.

edmoore235
February 12th, 2011, 11:11
Greetings Jamie, any news on these wonderful Comets? Been very quiet for two weeks. Take care.

Ed

Desert Rat
February 12th, 2011, 11:20
Sorry Ed,

not as yet, you can blame Just Flight, they sent me an e-mail with links to an associate site selling games downloads, they had the entire Commandos set, 5 games for just £2. Had always wanted to try it since they were released way back, so took the chance to grab them. This site has since sent me a few e-mails on deals, got Men of War for £3 (think Sudden Strike in full 3D, which used to be a fav of mine, so that ate a lot of time, lol.) and Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising for £7.50 (tested it and it looks amazing, but haven't got into it yet).

This has lead to stand still with the paints I'm afraid. Was strangely enough planning to get back to them this weekend, a bit more relaxing than all-out-war.

I'll zip up one and post it here just for you so you can beta it as is, any requests?

Jamie

PS test one....cfg then texture file

[fltsim.X]
title=de Havilland Comet K5084
sim=DeHavilland_Comet
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=_A
kb_checklists=DeHavilland_Comet_check
kb_reference=DeHavilland_Comet_ref
atc_id=K5084

atc_id_color=0x00ffffff
ui_manufacturer=de Havilland
ui_type="DH-88 'Comet'"
ui_variation="G-ACSS, RAF K5084"
description="G-ACSS Grosvenor House was acquired by the Air Ministry and painted aluminum. It got the RAF serial K-5084. During the tests at the RAF at Martlesham it twice suffered a collapsed undercarriage. After the first collapse it was fitted with enlarged air intakes. After the second crash in September 1936 it was sold as scrap."
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
visual_damage=1

edmoore235
February 12th, 2011, 15:21
Opps, texture.zip is invalid or corrupt. Can not open. Thanks in advance. Ed

Would really like the color yellow texture. Thanks.

Desert Rat
February 13th, 2011, 06:07
oops,try again...

reduced file size by deleting VC textures, nick them from a default and copy them into the folder, they haven't been changed yet anyway..

fingers crossed,
Jamie

PS. no luck, will try again after dinner.

Desert Rat
February 13th, 2011, 13:23
another try

EDIT: works from my end, use the cfg entry from post #24.

Desert Rat
February 13th, 2011, 13:31
Yellow one.

[fltsim.X]
title=de Havilland Comet K5084 Yellow
sim=DeHavilland_Comet
model=
panel=
sound=
texture=_AY
kb_checklists=DeHavilland_Comet_check
kb_reference=DeHavilland_Comet_ref
atc_id=G-ACSS
atc_id_color=0x00ffffff
ui_manufacturer=de Havilland
ui_type="DH-88 'Comet'"
ui_variation="G-ACSS, RAF K5084 Trainer Yellow"
description="G-ACSS Grosvenor House was acquired by the Air Ministry and painted aluminum. It got the RAF serial K-5084. During the tests at the RAF at Martlesham it twice suffered a collapsed undercarriage. After the first collapse it was fitted with enlarged air intakes. After the second crash in September 1936 it was sold as scrap. Fictional Pre-war trainer"
atc_heavy=0
atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
visual_damage=1

Jamie

PS. Photoshop has decided to not even launch, will maybe have to reinstall it.

delta_lima
February 13th, 2011, 13:34
Lovely TB - looking forward to the RAF paints. They're fanciful - but very believeable.

dl

Desert Rat
February 13th, 2011, 13:38
Thanks DL,

the yellow one works to download too, wasn't sure the max zip size one could attach, but they seem to work. The two pre-release versions are K-5084 and K-5084 fictional trainer yellow. Both RAF :d

Jamie

wbuchart
February 13th, 2011, 14:19
Jamie, both zips seem to error out (at least for me) around the 4 meg mark......

OleBoy
February 13th, 2011, 14:27
You're kicking out some mighty fine paints Jamie.

Thanks!!

edmoore235
February 13th, 2011, 14:44
Boy, I must be brain dead or what!! Downloaded both of the zip files and both seem invalid or corrupt (A and AY). Are these zip files of a folder with multiple bmp files within or a rename of just a single file? Thanks in advance. Ed

Desert Rat
February 13th, 2011, 14:48
Jamie, both zips seem to error out (at least for me) around the 4 meg mark......

I had a similar thing, but I resumed the download and it finished fine. I use Opera as my browser, not sure if other browsers allow a resume on downloads? I have no idea how to make it work for you, I'll try one of those file upload sites maybe.

Jamie

Desert Rat
February 13th, 2011, 14:51
Ed,

sorry about this, they are zips of the texture folders with the bmps within, I used 7zip to zip them up, it's a great free zip proggy that can produce much smaller files than winzip and such (in a different .7z format though) http://www.7-zip.org/

just gonna download the latest version.

Jamie

Desert Rat
February 13th, 2011, 15:01
without damage textures, so smaller, try these?

fingers crossed again,
Jamie

wbuchart
February 13th, 2011, 16:03
Jamie, this is some darn fine work! I like them very much! Really looking forward to the next one. :salute:

edmoore235
February 13th, 2011, 16:19
Yea Jamie, it works now!! Very neat the oil leaks around the engine nacelles. Fisrt two look great to my eyes. Very good. Thank you. How is work on the Blueberry Australia one going? Thanks again, and take care.

Ed

wbuchart
February 13th, 2011, 17:00
Hmmmmmm...Wadya think?

Credit to Mike Barnes for his repaint of Ed Cook's Don.

edmoore235
February 13th, 2011, 20:36
A few pixs:

31080 31081 31082
Cool beans and thanks!!

Ed

delta_lima
February 13th, 2011, 20:48
What do you think of this as an idea for a repaint? A naval multi-engine trainer (think lead-in trainer for the likes of the DH Sea Hornet ...)

RN:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2472/3644122574_6325841b96.jpg

or for the crazy colonials?

http://www.britsim.com/components/com_remository_files/file_image_1936/th_1936_01.jpg (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0))

What, didn't you know the RCN had entire squadrons of Sea Hornet F Mk 20? I read it on the internet .... it's true! http://www.britsim.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=162&func=fileinfo&id=1936 :)

BTW - thanks Peter - loving that repaint!

anyway, just food for thought if anyone wants to take the '88 "further afield". The PRU paints look smashing...looking forward to those.

dl

wbuchart
March 14th, 2011, 16:50
...to keep this going. Looking forwad to other repaints as well.....(especially the German one....!)

:bump::bump::bump::bump::bump::bump:

Desert Rat
March 14th, 2011, 16:58
Sorry,

technical gremlins have been plaguing me since last reports. Needed to buy a new power supply, cooling fans, RAM and some leads. My rig kept on BSoD'ing and restarting, proggies (including browser and Photoshop) would stop working, unable to open files/pages. New parts are all installed and things seem to be working fine since the refit. Work will restart very shortly, still a few things to tweak and repair, but at least so far nothing has been lost and my lone FS9 install still functions (it had problems too).

Jamie

Desert Rat
March 14th, 2011, 17:03
DM,

sorry missed your post, I like that and will try and get as many as I can done, if not I'll upload my paint kit when finished so others can use it.

thanks,
Jamie

delta_lima
March 16th, 2011, 18:21
Awesome Jamie - whenever you're able mate. The Comet's a rare little bird I always enjoyed.

dl

Desert Rat
March 19th, 2011, 13:12
& ready to download.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=7&linkid=3769

Next one about to be uploaded.

Jamie

AndyG43
March 19th, 2011, 13:21
Looking forward to these Jamie, thanks very much for all your hard work.

Desert Rat
March 19th, 2011, 13:44
Next on is ready to download already!! Australian Anniversary, check the What's new as I'm unable to get the link to work?

Thanks Andy, sorry for the delays, got a few more ready, just need to do readme's and package them, time consuming stuff, I'll try get some more done.

Jamie

PS.' The Burberry' is uploaded also.
PPS. Now also 'the Orphan'

AndyG43
March 20th, 2011, 03:11
Not sure why you're apologising for "the delay", I'm just grateful that you're kind enough to share your hard work with us. :salute:

Desert Rat
March 20th, 2011, 13:16
Andy,

was doing them for my own fun and benefit, but glad to share with those that want them. It started when I decided it would be cool to have the 3 Comets fly the race as AI, along with any of the other entrants I could find. Researching that lead me to find all the liveries for 5 built. It grew arms and legs as they say.

I've created an album of the paints with file links underneath each picture (click to enlarge first) I'm finding some neat features of the newish forum software :d

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/album.php?albumid=347

Jamie

wbuchart
April 8th, 2011, 16:53
http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/local_links.php?catid=7&linkid=3853

Thanks Jamie!!