PDA

View Full Version : Random ID letters showing through ai Hurricane Skins (Bob)

wsmwsm
January 22nd, 2011, 13:00
In my BoB install (the separate install, not that for ETO) I've noticed random 2-digit ID numbers (BN, YQ, etc.) showing through Hurricane skins when they are ai. Even when I've created standalones based on the AVH Mk1a with BoB era skins, the numbers - always random - show through (but don't appear on the identicle aircraft when placed in ETO).

Really not a biggie, but can anyone explain how this can happen?

In a simial vein, why do some, but not all, standalones based on stock CFS3 aircraft have those annoying stripes show when they are ai.

Thanks.

ndicki
January 23rd, 2011, 00:31
Depends on the _s.dds layer and the MOS file used.

The ghost letters are from an _s.dds image file that clearly must be duplicated several times in your install. These sound like my series of unpredictably marked AI Hurricanes I did years ago; as it is not native to Pat's BoB specific install, I can only assume that you added it in wrongly or added the wrong specular image files. Run a search for the _s.dds file the model(s) demand - namely 3gb_hurricane_1a_s.dds - and see how many variants you can find. Then get rid of the lot of them, and install only one single copy with that file name, and no visible markings on it! It doesn't happen in ETO because there is only one copy of 3gb_hurricane_1a_s.dds, and that is the correct unmarked one.

The reason why you still get visible colour tags, letters and noseart on some aircraft made from stock versions is that the mos files have not been properly doctored to remove them. I do admit that I sometimes fail to check this as well, but it can easily be remedied by either swopping the mos file for one that has been doctored - use a hex editor to modify the skin sheets it refers to (using my stand-alone tutorial if need be), or run them through the SDK mos file editor to remove all references to colourtags, noseart and letters. Takes about two minutes if that.

wsmwsm
January 23rd, 2011, 04:22
Ndicki:

Thank you for your reply. I searched for the s.dds file. (Indeed I looked at every s.dds file to identify any associated with the word "Hurricane".) Other than the one contained in the AVH Hurricane Mk1a I had installed, there were none. I removed that aircraft so that the only Hurricane s.dds file in the entire BoB install was now the native one - hurricane_BoB_s.dds. Still, the letters come through. In fact, I am reasonably sure that this phenomenom occured prior to my installing the AVH Hurricane, so the only Hurricane s.dds file would have been the one that came in the BoB install.

Again, not a biggie. Just curious as to how this type of thing occurs and if there was a simple fix.

Pat Pattle
January 23rd, 2011, 06:34
I hadn't noticed this myself but I'll take a look at the a/c files and see if it's something we've left in by mistake and get it sorted for the final release later this year.

Thanks for reporting! :salute:

wsmwsm
January 23rd, 2011, 06:48
I hadn't noticed this myself but I'll take a look at the a/c files and see if it's something we've left in by mistake and get it sorted for the final release later this year.

Thanks for reporting! :salute:

You are so welcome. Thanks for all the work.

popsaka
January 23rd, 2011, 21:57
Is there an improved .mos for the MAW Martlets to get rid of the horrid color splotches in A.I.??:jump:

Pat Pattle
January 23rd, 2011, 22:57
The ai mos file is indeed the culprit as Nigel predicted. It still has layers for the codes and nose art. I've corrected this for the next release, in the meantime if you have the .mos editor open the file and delete those layers.

Thanks,

Clive