PDA

View Full Version : A new monitor?

paulb
January 21st, 2011, 12:33
Hi

I am currently looking to replace my 4+ year old pc with a new one for FSX :d

Thanks to Ted, I am pretty clear on my new build.

I am also thinking about replacing my monitor.

In many ways I am very happy with the one that I have now. A 20" Dell Ultrasharp. -

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=59230

However, ideally, I would like a larger screen size. In all other respects, retaining the spec that I have currently would be fine.

Browing for options I became a bit confused by the widescreen monitors available today! Mine is 4:3, but the new ones are mainly 16:9 with the odd 16:10.

Using the old right angled triangled equation, as far as I can see -

A 20" 4:3 equals 16" wide and 12" high
A 27" 16:9 equals 23.47" wide and 13.2" high
A 26" 16:10 equals 22" wide and 13.8" high

Based on that, I am inclined to look at a 16:10 monitor.

One that seems attractive is -
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/monitors/26inchplusmonitors/iiyama/e2607ws-b1.html

So two questions please -

Would this monitor be better than the one that I have now? (or if you have any better suggestions then please post)

What happens with FSX if a 4:3 monitor is not used? Is it distorted? Would I have black bits on both sides of the screen? I really have no idea!

Thanks (in advance)if you can help me out.

Cheers

Paul

stansdds
January 22nd, 2011, 03:19
I went from a 17 inch LCD to a 22 inch LCD (largest that will fit the cubby hole on my desk) and am very happy with the results. Basically, it widened my field of view in the Virtual cockpit. That's important to me as I fly solely from the VC. As long as the native resolution of your monitor matches one of the resolution settings in FlightSim, I don't think you will have any problems.

paulb
January 22nd, 2011, 03:36
I went from a 17 inch LCD to a 22 inch LCD (largest that will fit the cubby hole on my desk) and am very happy with the results. Basically, it widened my field of view in the Virtual cockpit. That's important to me as I fly solely from the VC. As long as the native resolution of your monitor matches one of the resolution settings in FlightSim, I don't think you will have any problems.

May thanks for the reply.

Looking at FSX on my pc, the highest resolutions appear to be -
1600 by 900
1600 by 1024
1600 by 1200
I dont know if these are the highest that FSX can achieve or whether these are just the ones that it is showing me based on my current monitor/graphics card?

Assuming that these are the highest, then 1600 by 1200 would appear to be the highest resolution - which is what I am using currently. My current monitor is 4:3 and 1600 by 1200 is its native resolution,. That seems to suggest that I will lose resolution by moving to a widescreen monitor (either 16:9 or 16:10).

Does this make sense?

Cheers

Paul

paulb
January 22nd, 2011, 08:40
I have looked at some threads on other sites and it seems that people are running FSX at 1920 by 1200 - which is the native resolution of the monitor that I am considering.

Does anyone here use 1920 by 1200 and what do you think of it?

gigabyte
April 16th, 2011, 16:44
I have looked at some threads on other sites and it seems that people are running FSX at 1920 by 1200 - which is the native resolution of the monitor that I am considering.

Does anyone here use 1920 by 1200 and what do you think of it?

Paul, sorry I did not see this sooner, I have been running a 24" Samsung for over a year at 1920 X 1200 and I really like it, very crisp detail. I have had a small problem with 1 IL2 add on mod but that is it, as for FSX and the other games I play (Blackshark, Flaming Cliffs, IL2 1946) I am very happy. I am looking to go to a 3 monitor set-up as soon as I can afford it, and I am having problems finding anything locally that will support 1920 X 1200, most now are 1920 X1080, which I have never tried but I might have to...

paulb
April 16th, 2011, 22:24
Paul, sorry I did not see this sooner, I have been running a 24" Samsung for over a year at 1920 X 1200 and I really like it, very crisp detail. I have had a small problem with 1 IL2 add on mod but that is it, as for FSX and the other games I play (Blackshark, Flaming Cliffs, IL2 1946) I am very happy. I am looking to go to a 3 monitor set-up as soon as I can afford it, and I am having problems finding anything locally that will support 1920 X 1200, most now are 1920 X1080, which I have never tried but I might have to...

No problem. I ended up buying a 28" 1920 by 1200 monitor from Novatech here in the UK. It is actually a rebadged Hanns G monitor. I am happy with my purchase and the screen is huge compared to my old 20" monitor. It works fine with FSX (and with FS9). My next step (if I take it) will be to add a second small monitor for navigation etc.

Cheers

Paul