PDA

View Full Version : All praise a true fallen hero.

Cazzie
January 21st, 2011, 09:41
I graduated with his son, Slick, Jr. and one of his adopted sons, Larry Stogner, now anchor at Channel 11 in Durham, NC. He was one of the most humane and humorous characters I have ever known and it was a blessing to have know him all these years. My heart weeps and my condolences are out to all who had anything to do with this wonderful man.

James Ernest "Slick" Foster, WWII, Post 7316 member, age 90. Harrelson Funeral Service. Funeral at 11AM Monday January 24, First Baptist Yanceyville. Visitation after funeral at church.

World War II Service Record
...Name: James E. Foster
Date of Entrance in Service: August 13, 1942
Branch of Service: Air Force, 345th Bomb Group, 501st Squadron
Training Stations: Amarillo, Texas; Seattle, Washington; Charters Tower, Australia; Scott Field, Illinois
Parents' Name: Mr. and Mrs. Ernest Foster
Date of Embarkation: May 14, 1943
Theater of Operations: Asiatic-Pacific, New Guinea
Medals Earned: American Theater, Asiatic-Pacific Theater with three Bronze Stars, one service stripe and two overseas bars, Good Conduct, Air Medal with two Clusters.
Date Returned to United States: August 15, 1944
Discharged: Seymour-Johnston Field, North Carolina, October 16, 1945.
Time Served: Thirty-eight months.

Source: Service Record Book of Men and Women of Yanceyville, N.C., and Community, Sponsored by the V.F.W. Post No. 7316 (1947-1949).

The Bronze Star Medal (or BSM) is a United States Armed Forces individual military decoration that may be awarded for bravery, acts of merit, or meritorious service. When awarded for bravery, it is the fourth-highest combat award of the U.S. Armed Forces and the ninth highest military award (including both combat and non-combat awards) in the order of precedence of U.S. military decorations.

The Air Medal is a military decoration of the United States. The award was created in 1942, and is awarded for meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight. The Air Medal was established by Executive Order 9158, signed by Franklin D. Roosevelt, on 11 May 1942. The Air Medal was awarded retroactive to 8 September 1939. The medal is awarded to any person who, while serving in any capacity in or with the Armed Forces of the United States, shall have distinguished himself/herself by meritorious achievement while participating in aerial flight. Subsequent decorations of the Air Medal are denoted in the U.S. Army by award numerals displayed on the medal and ribbon. The Army originally used oak leaf clusters. Notable recipients are Jimmy Doolittle, Buzz Aldrin, Gus Grissom, John Glenn, President George H. W. Bush, Colin Powell, James Stewart (actor), and Chuck Yeager.

safn1949
January 22nd, 2011, 17:34
Job well done Sgt Foster,may you fly with angels.:USA-flag:

Jagdflieger
January 22nd, 2011, 18:09
RIP SGT Foster and God's speed to the Promised Land.

TARPSBird
January 22nd, 2011, 21:31
RIP Sarge. :USA-flag: