PDA

View Full Version : Aileron drops with minimal deflection and won't move?

OleBoy
January 19th, 2011, 18:35
This symptom started today. I'm flying along having a great flight. Straight and level just cruising along. All of a sudden the right aileron goes down, and left up. Not full deflection but enough to let you know your banking. I couldn't get leveled out so I reset the flight. Once reset I was back parked. And still, right aileron down, and left up. No matter what I did it wouldn't center. Re-calibrating did nothing. I even tried another controller and, same thing. I even tried several other aircraft to no avail.

Has this ever happened to anyone else and, how did you fix it? I'm lost for thought!!

N2056
January 19th, 2011, 18:38
My first thought would be to reboot and try again.

OleBoy
January 19th, 2011, 18:49
Tried that a few times. I even scanned for spyware. Nothing helps yet. I just don't get it. All was fine last night. Nothing new installed.

Milton Shupe
January 19th, 2011, 19:44
Sounds like the AP was on or you adjusted aileron trim by mistake.

Fire up an aircraft with a good AP and ensure that it is off.

Then, turn off NUM LOCK and hit the number 5 key to recenter everything.

gradyhappyg
January 19th, 2011, 20:16
Yep sounds like the AP was on. Next time hit Z and see if the ailerons reset.

OleBoy
January 19th, 2011, 20:38
I loaded up a flight and tried reset the NumLock=off, then hit 5 and, ailerons recentered. I went for a nice flight with a few touch-n-gos then landed. I switched views a few times then went to spot view. There they were, ailerons half cocked again. I tried hitting the 5-key again...no response. To double check I loaded another plane and, same thing.

I thought all the "Z" key did was scroll through Lon/Lat, fps etc, etc? I'll try it. Can't hurt I suppose.

Lotus
January 19th, 2011, 21:23
You don't mention which stick you have, but is it by chance an X52? I had this same issue with my X52 pro several times, and it was always caused by the usb cable getting slightly pulled out of its socket, at the stick end, not the PC end. If you have one try disconnecting the cable from the back side of the stick, wait a few seconds and reinsert it. Reboots never cured it for me, only unplugging and replugging. Sometimes it took a few tries.

Edit: Missed the part where you said you tried another controller. Weird!

Good luck.

-Mike

OleBoy
January 19th, 2011, 21:41
Yeah Mike, I tried everything that made sense. I actually have two X52's 1-standard, 1 pro and an x45 also. I tried them all. I even resorted to installing the drivers (which I never had to before as it read it anyway) even that never helped. I calibrated it, re-calibrated, tried different USB ports even but, nothing seemed to work. That's when I had to ask. I was going nuts trying to figure it out!! I figured more minds and experience was the best way to avoid the loony bin (wink wink..lol) I made sure the F-Lock was not on, and the NumLock. They weren't. Hitting the #5 key reset the ailerons once. Then I reloaded at a different airport as I was going through the motions like when it did it before. It was real weird. After the sim reloaded at another airport, the ailerons were half cocked again!! What the..

Then I tried the "Z-Key" as suggested

gradyhappyg
Yep sounds like the AP was on. Next time hit Z and see if the ailerons reset.

THAT WORKED!! Thanks for that suggestion gradyhappyg :salute:
....All is back to normal as I have tested several short flights with many different planes that were reloaded at different airports. WHOO HOO!! I'm back in business :jump:

Thank you Milton for your help also. I very much appreciate it :)

OBIO
January 19th, 2011, 21:51
OleBoy

The Z key is the key command for autopilot. Shift Z is the key command for the sim info display (coordinates, altitude, frame rates...that stuff). I have hit the Z key before and found myself scratching my head as to why I could not climb, bank, turn.

OBIO

OleBoy
January 19th, 2011, 21:57
Got ya OBIO. Not saying I'll remember that later..hehe!!

Erlk0enig
January 19th, 2011, 22:41
Hello everybody,

I have the same problem, but mostly with the default glider from FSX. I am using a Saitek ST290 joystick. The symptoms of this problem are jerky "tilts" to one side, and even with full counter-aileron, the airplane is almost uncotrollable.

Does the glider have autopilot? I suppose not. Did anybody else experience this?

Best Regards,
E.

Roger
January 19th, 2011, 23:06
Hello everybody,

I have the same problem, but mostly with the default glider from FSX. I am using a Saitek ST290 joystick. The symptoms of this problem are jerky "tilts" to one side, and even with full counter-aileron, the airplane is almost uncotrollable.

Does the glider have autopilot? I suppose not. Did anybody else experience this?

Best Regards,
E.

I think the default glider's model was broken and never fixed in SP2/Acc.

roger-wilco-66
January 20th, 2011, 00:14
[...]

Best Regards,
E.

You can turn the fsx default autopilot on in any airplane by pressing the appropriate key! Sometimes I use that to level out my flight after climbing / descending (lazy me...).

Cheers,
Mark

Erlk0enig
January 20th, 2011, 02:00
I think the default glider's model was broken and never fixed in SP2/Acc.

Ah thanks for the hint, that would be a pity!, because I like the glider.

But, I did experience this behaviour also with the default DC-3, for example, although I remember that the glider shows it much more frequently. I think this evening I will test it again, also regarding possible issues with the USB-connector.

Best Regards,
E.