View Full Version : March 25th...Cliffs of Dover

redriver6
January 18th, 2011, 16:36
no longer 'Storm of War'.....

http://www.ubi.com/UK/Games/Info.aspx?pId=9329

MO35o8IRDz0&feature=player_embedded

stansdds
January 19th, 2011, 02:00
I don't know if it is no longer Storm of War or if Storm of War was just a cover name for an updated Il2 or if 1C is trying to cash in on the Il2 name one more time.

Antoninus
January 19th, 2011, 09:41
At least Oleg wasn't happy with the name change:

Using already world well known Storm of War as a name of new series and just adding the line 'from the creators of award-winning Il-2 sturmovik series' would be way better really. If someone dislike short SoW sounding not so nice then simply better to make other name... Hope publisher will read it. Anyway I may disagree with the name Il-2 for the completely new series, but final decision - from publisher.

http://forum.1cpublishing.eu/showpost.php?p=197149&postcount=497

Whitehawk
January 19th, 2011, 11:54
Geeze ubisoft trying to cash in on the IL2 name much? I'll be buying anyway, what's in a name? But Storm of War just sounds cool..

stansdds
January 20th, 2011, 02:18
So it is Storm of War, just retitled by the publisher to make it more marketable? I don't know how well that's going to work since the combat flight sim world has been waiting for years to see "Storm of War". I think this just adds to the confusion in what version of the sim you are buying or need.

heywooood
January 20th, 2011, 15:52
Ok - I'm sure you all remember Il2 from Oleg Maddox

well - here comes the all new - completely revamped WWII Combat Flight Simulation of all time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO35o8IRDz0&feature=player_embedded

deathfromafar
January 20th, 2011, 16:00
If I saw that clip without knowing, I'd swear it was Wings of Prey! Very similar.. Looks nice, will check it out after release to see if it is worthwhile or not and actually offers steps up from WOP.

Bjoern
January 20th, 2011, 16:53
I'm asking myself whether they're going to remake the eastern front stuff with the new graphics engine or not...

...and whether they retain their dynamic campaign system...

heywooood
January 20th, 2011, 17:25
If I saw that clip without knowing, I'd swear it was Wings of Prey! Very similar.. Looks nice, will check it out after release to see if it is worthwhile or not and actually offers steps up from WOP.

well - as it will cost about the same as a single, well made addon aircraft for FSX - I can see no reason not to buy it regardless....but I see your point about WoP - the early wip videos and screens look like WoP...except for the extra detail, camera views, etc...

But with the track record of the previous work of 1c Maddox Games there is no reason to think for one second that Cliffs of Dover wont be worth 10 times the price of the software, even at the inflated initial release price.

stiz
January 20th, 2011, 22:51
for me it all depends on what ubi does for copy protection, if they use that Uplay crap then i aint touching it!

Hanimichal
January 21st, 2011, 01:09
for me it all depends on what ubi does for copy protection, if they use that Uplay crap then i aint touching it!

http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/107Ubisoft_X_Pirates.gif

Bjoern
January 21st, 2011, 02:51

Ain't that the truth... :d

Lewis-A2A
January 21st, 2011, 03:17
Ive literally just got a brand new system and I am looking forward to trying the new sim from Oleg, however I dont like the announcement, re: no German Campaign? fighting renegages on your own side for the RAF? and a few other bits, to me it still doesnt really look like Britain from the shots ive seen.

However I am sure the online experience is going to be mucho fun, My old Sqn I belong too are hoping to have a bit of a revival with the new sim as a good many of us drifted from il-2 to FSX and others a while back. So if it means good fun online times with friends fighting the bosh then I say bring it on! :ernae:

CHBTheDoctor
January 21st, 2011, 04:24

If it's always online, I'm off:running:

nio
January 21st, 2011, 05:57
I do not recall any IL2 Sturmoviks being involved in WW2 anywhere near the white cliffs of Dover(though someone may correct me ).

I assume the reference to IL2 Sturmovik is no more and no less than a marketing ploy to identify the product as coming from the Oleg /Ubisoft stable and to build on the established reputation of the original IL2/Pacific Wars products which are excellent (especially modded) and have withstood the test of time.

I understand that online activation will be required.It is less clear whether the game can only be played online.I hope not.

We shall see.

best

nio

hurricane3
January 21st, 2011, 06:19
If you read the comments under the vidieo it says Storm of War has been renamed IL2 Cliffs of Dover ,their one and the same.

Paul K
January 21st, 2011, 08:40
Hope the sim is better than the daft name they've given it. Dear oh dear...whats the Pacific expansion going to be called ? IL2: Waikiki Beach ?

stiz
January 21st, 2011, 09:15
yea i dont like the new name either, storm of war:battle of britain was far better, but ubi would have wanted to stick to Il2 sturmovik cos its a recognized name .. even though the only thing is has in common with il2 are the people who made it!

Bjoern
January 21st, 2011, 14:08
"Storm Of War: BoB" sounds way worse and cheesier to me than "IL-2:Cliffs Of Dover".

Rick_Piper
January 21st, 2011, 14:20
Hi Guys

Looks pretty good

Video is confusing

the Mk IV Blenheim was not built in 1940 & pretty sure the FW190 wasn't either so not much accuracy on the timeline in the video but it looks good.

Just hope it's not an Arcade game like WingsOfPrey as i soon got bored of the limited playability even though it looks superb.

will most likely buy it anyway though ;)

Regards
Rick

Scratch
January 21st, 2011, 14:27
Ive literally just got a brand new system and I am looking forward to trying the new sim from Oleg, however I dont like the announcement, re: no German Campaign? fighting renegages on your own side for the RAF? and a few other bits, to me it still doesnt really look like Britain from the shots ive seen.

However I am sure the online experience is going to be mucho fun, My old Sqn I belong too are hoping to have a bit of a revival with the new sim as a good many of us drifted from il-2 to FSX and others a while back. So if it means good fun online times with friends fighting the bosh then I say bring it on! :ernae:

I think I read on another forum somewhere that Luthier said there will be a German campaign.

Snaker
January 21st, 2011, 14:31
I hope that it at least has a mission builder. From the early "Storm of War" screenshots and comments it looks like this one will have very detailed vehicles and ground objects.

Also - I see over at the Yuplay forms there is going to be an update to the original Wings of Prey along with a sequel. I hope that the update to the original is the mission builder they had talked about a while ago.....

:salute:

W. Bleddyn
January 21st, 2011, 14:36
I just hope that it actually comes out this time.

For those of you that have not followed development this is not the first release announcement that has been given for this title. Oddly and incredibly Ubisoft still has the old announcement hosted on their web servers.

http://www.ubi.com/US/News/Info.aspx?nId=3950

So is this another Nov 2006, or have they managed to finish it in the 4+ years since?:sleep:

Scratch
January 21st, 2011, 15:32
Dang..........I just saw the latest update screenshots and the terrain looks horrible. They use some ugly snot colored green on Britain like they did for the original IL2. How hard can it be to get green right?

ryanbatc
January 21st, 2011, 18:47
http://fsfiles.org/flightsimshots/images/107Ubisoft_X_Pirates.gif

HAHAH LAF! That's an epic gif animation!

GrinningJester
January 21st, 2011, 19:29
Dang..........I just saw the latest update screenshots and the terrain looks horrible. They use some ugly snot colored green on Britain like they did for the original IL2. How hard can it be to get green right?

No it doesn't.

Oleg posts screenshots from a low-end machine, with everything set to low.

The terrain looks fantastic maxed out.

@Piper, where the heck do you see a FW190, and the Blenhiem Mk. IV was active during the Battle of France already.....

NickB
January 21st, 2011, 23:13
Hi Guys

Video is confusing

the Mk IV Blenheim was not built in 1940 & pretty sure the FW190 wasn't either so not much accuracy on the timeline in the video but it looks good.

Regards
Rick

Hey Rick, I don't have my spectacles on, but I didn't see an FW-190. I did see an Italian aircraft, dunno what it was though. According to the RAF Museum, the Blenheim IV was built from 1938. :icon_lol:
I thought it was damned un-sporting to shot down that Tiger Moth.

Paul K
January 22nd, 2011, 00:46
"Storm Of War: BoB" sounds way worse and cheesier to me than "IL-2:Cliffs Of Dover".

Not if you're a native of these shores, it doesn't. I don't know who advises Oleg on these things, but he needs new advisors. :rolleyes:

Quixoticish
January 22nd, 2011, 01:56
Not if you're a native of these shores, it doesn't. I don't know who advises Oleg on these things, but he needs new advisors. :rolleyes:

Cliffs of Dover sounds like a delightfully cheesy folk song or similar. It's a bit of a daft title for a game.

Oelwanne
January 22nd, 2011, 02:46
Something like this Song?

YUx3MU9iM6c

stansdds
January 22nd, 2011, 03:51
The name change really threw me, but it's a marketing decision by UbiSoft. Whether or not their decision is good remains to be seen. I wonder how many will see the name "Il-2 Sturmovik" and assume it's just another version of the same old game? UbiSoft is the same publisher that decided to put American aircraft manufacturers' names on the box cover of Il-2 Sturmovik: Pacific Fighters without obtaining permission to use those names, thus bringing to an end the inclusion of additional American designed aircraft in the Il-2 series. Their choices of copyright protection schemes has a spotty track record as well. We'll see how this pans out and I'd like to see some reviews of the flight and damage modeling before I decide to buy.

stiz
January 22nd, 2011, 09:21
No it doesn't.

Oleg posts screenshots from a low-end machine, with everything set to low.

The terrain looks fantastic maxed out.

the terrain is based on a fantasy world. Englands grass is green no yellow at all. Dont bother saying that modern fields are yellow, thats oil seed rape, twasnt invented in the 40s
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/Stiz987/full-4161-5368-shot_20110121_121826.jpg

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/Stiz987/full-4161-5370-shot_20110121_124044.jpg

this ones even worse, purple ... blue ..orange .. brown .. even a bit of pink... i'd be ashemed trying to pass this off as England ...

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f117/Stiz987/full-4161-4970-shot_20110114_130415.jpg

Bjoern
January 22nd, 2011, 11:56
I think I should join in on the fuss...what they tried to pass of as Berlin in the original IL-2 is unacceptable! The colors and city layout...all wrong!

Come on, people. Well all know you will buy the sim in the end regardless of coloring of the landscape.
Besides, the ground is just textures which can be edited anyways.

Paul K
January 22nd, 2011, 13:35
Couldn't the yellow be wheat ?

crashaz
January 22nd, 2011, 13:37
Well I am a part of the CFS- IL2 wars... developed for both but always had hope for the next CFS.

Will be buying this though. If nothing is to note what new things have been done with this sim... and to see if will be more open for us to design for.

ICDP
January 22nd, 2011, 13:54
the terrain is based on a fantasy world. Englands grass is green no yellow at all. Dont bother saying that modern fields are yellow, thats oil seed rape, twasnt invented in the 40s

I am not defending the terrain in Il-2 Cliffs of Dover but the idea that England was only green in WWII is one I have seen many times on the net. This isn't true as the pictures attached show, all of these images are of planes flying over WWII England. Note that many of the fields are definately yellow or brown, not just green.

ICDP
January 22nd, 2011, 13:56
Some more WWII colour images over England. Certainly plenty of browns and yellows in there.

jetstreamsky
January 22nd, 2011, 14:12
If you've ever flown over England, especially coming in from North America, one of the most noticeable things you see is the incredible depth of green. It's an island and the recipient of much rain brought in by the Atlantic storms. Certainly today it is highly contrasted with the brilliant yellow of rape seed fields, but back then the muted yellow of wheat fields would have been interspersed by that same rich green. Early spring months would have earthy brown, black or red soil (depending on where you are), but this is soon replaced by the food crops or dairy fields so necessary at time of war. Early colour photos of course diminish and wash out, the only time you may see brown fields would be in deep drought.

NickB
January 22nd, 2011, 14:25
It's a little known fact that most British war films made during the war were filmed in colour, it was the scenery that was black and white.:kilroy:

stiz
January 22nd, 2011, 14:35
I am not defending the terrain in Il-2 Cliffs of Dover but the idea that England was only green in WWII is one I have seen many times on the net. This isn't true as the pictures attached show, all of these images are of planes flying over WWII England. Note that many of the fields are definately yellow or brown, not just green.

I never said it was all green, but even the "green" in il2:COD has an over yellow hue and overdone brightness to it

Roger
January 22nd, 2011, 14:59
I think it's time to move this thread to the Il2 forum. I'll leave a redirect though.

ICDP
January 23rd, 2011, 02:39
I never said it was all green, but even the "green" in il2:COD has an over yellow hue and overdone brightness to it

That is much clearer now thanks, I agree the greens have an unrealsitic yellow hue to them. It is like they just added a bit more yellow tint to the entire terrain textures. It is quite crap looking to be honest. I agree the terrain in IL2 and the shots of the new terrain look not even close to the english countryside (try saying that on simhq without the sycophants attacking you!).

Forgive me but the problem was that your first post left no room for misinterpretation. It explicitly states no yellow at all. Obvioulsy this was referring to England during WWII.

"the terrain is based on a fantasy world. Englands grass is green no yellow at all."

The reason I responded to that post was to show that there was indeed a variety of greens, browns and yellows in the English countryside during WWII. The shots I posted show this without a shadow of a doubt. Even if one or two of them are washed out it is clear there are yellows and browns in there.

I'm hope this clears things up now that we both agree and are on the same page :)

Bjoern
January 28th, 2011, 09:19
IL-2:CoD will ship without Ubisoft's "Always online" copy protection.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover/news/il_2_sturmovik_cliffs_of_dover,46106,2320673.html

(If you can't read german; you'll have to believe me.)

stansdds
January 30th, 2011, 04:12
You've not mislead us in the past, so I'll believe you. This is unfortunate for those without internet service or those on slow or limited services. I probably will not buy it, I don't like having to use the internet every time I want to play something.

Whitehawk
January 31st, 2011, 14:37
IL-2:CoD will ship without Ubisoft's "Always online" copy protection.

http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/il-2-sturmovik-cliffs-of-dover/news/il_2_sturmovik_cliffs_of_dover,46106,2320673.html

(If you can't read german; you'll have to believe me.)

Sounds good to me! I don't like not being able to play SH5 if my internet falls over..

stansdds
January 31st, 2011, 15:59
Sounds good to me! I don't like not being able to play SH5 if my internet falls over..
Oops! I read that as "with", not "without". Without is great!

Whitehawk
January 31st, 2011, 16:23
Sure is! Really can't wait for March 25th!

crashaz
February 3rd, 2011, 09:58
Interested in more news on the multiplayer.... may have to get some SOH squadrons going here. :jump:

flyer01
February 15th, 2011, 06:50
http://shop.ubi.com/store/ubina/en_US/pd/productID.224108000

Is this for offline also or just online?

flyer01
February 15th, 2011, 07:24
The game will feature over a dozen flyable aircraft from the UK, German and Italian armies. The single player campaign will feature the player taking on the Germans as part of the British Air Force battling it out over London and other parts of Britain, France and Belgium. The game will also feature multiplayer with support for up to a whopping 128 players. Look for graphical support for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 features.

In addition to the regular game there will also be a Collector's Version that will feature a 150 page ring binder with pilot instructions, a replica of the pilot's notes on the Spitfire I Aeroplane and a cloth pilot escape map. You can check out a trailer for the game after the jump:

Whitehawk
February 15th, 2011, 12:50
The Collectors Edition, I wants it lol! Seriously think all the A2A WoP3 Spitfire owners are gonna be drooling just for the chance to get Mk.I pilot notes, hope the Collectors Edition is released outside the UK!

Martyn
March 3rd, 2011, 02:29
Hi all,

We (Just Flight) are doing a pre-order offer on IL-2 Cliffs of Dover:

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover (http://www.justflight.com/product.asp?pID=645) is priced at £29.99 / €37.95 / $44.99, and we're also giving 500 Just Rewards (http://www.justflight.com/justrewards.asp) points with each pre-order.

More info here: http://www.justflight.com/newsDetail.asp?newsid=1890 (http://www.justflight.com/newsDetail.asp?newsid=1890)

I'm definitely looking forward to getting my hands on this, any new combat sim is welcome in my opinion!

Thanks
Martyn

GT182
March 8th, 2011, 10:05
It's great it's finally coming out. And better too that UBI wasn't allowed to put their DRMs in it for it to be played only thru their servers. The only bad thing is that seeing how UBI has treated it's customers, there's many that won't touch anything now with UBI on the packaging. Even if even if it is said that there are no DRMs in the sofware. UBI has screwed the pooch with what they've done with everything else except IL2. If it wasn't for 1C on the package, I wouldn't touch it.

Now the only thing Oleg needs to do is break away from UBI, once his contract is up with them. Too bad he's not the one that had Silent Hunter 5. Oleg would have made sure it was as good as IL2 and not unfinished so it could be played properly.

GT182
March 27th, 2011, 17:57
After a Home Show I was exhibiting at this past weekend, on Saturday night and with nothing to do for the night I went looking for Cliffs Of Dover at Best Buy in Dover, DE. Wasn't on the shelf so one of the guys went on their computer to see what was up. Release date according to their computer has been pushed back to 4/19/11. Anyone know the reason why?

stiz
March 28th, 2011, 00:24
no idea, prolly so steam could get things sorted out. However i'd hold off a bit, the russian release hasnt been good ... and its more than just teething problems.

http://www.freewebs.com/heinkill/cliffsofdovernews.htm

However if they get around to optimizeing it and sorting things out then it should be ok, allthough yet again they failed on the sounds ...

GT182
March 29th, 2011, 16:06
I saw this on the site you linked to Stiz.... "Aircraft with missing wings flying onward unaffected"

I had the no landing gear syndrom in IL-2 Forgotten Battles every once in awhile. My Me-109G would land and taxi just fine, but when you went to an outside view it was just floating along heading to a taxi position. LOL

Hope they get the missing wings fixed.... that could really look weird. LOL

ShockandAwe
April 7th, 2011, 05:54
So it is Storm of War, just retitled by the publisher to make it more marketable? I don't know how well that's going to work since the combat flight sim world has been waiting for years to see "Storm of War". I think this just adds to the confusion in what version of the sim you are buying or need.

I think they are just trying to ratchet down expectations. If we buy it thinking it is BOB SOW, we are expecting to have our socks blown off. If we are buying it thinking it is just a new IL2 version, we won't be so cruel in our assessment. Classic marketing ploy.

I'm buying it anyway. :jump:

GT182
April 7th, 2011, 18:12
I'll buy it ONLY because Oleg and 1C made it.... and because we've waited sooooo long for it, even if it is out with a different name. Other than that, I do NOT buy games with UBI's name on them.