PDA

View Full Version : new Computer, which one??

Reddog
November 30th, 2008, 05:41
I'm looking at these 2 and would like to know which will run FSX best.

1. CPU: Intel Quad Core 2 Duo Q6600 2.4GHz FSB1066MHz 8MB Socket 775
Motherboard: Asus P5N-T Deluxe NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR2 800
Graphics: (2) EVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+ OC PCIe2.0 512MB GDDR3
Audio: onboard 8 channel audio
Hard drive: Seagate 500GB 7200RPM SATA 8MB cache
Optical Drive: Samsung 22X DVDRW
Network: onboard Gigabit LAN
Logitech Keyboard & Mouse
Power Supply: Nspire 650W
Chassis Type: Antec 900
Media Reader:f/ CF/SD/MS/Micro Drive/XD
1 year warranty, some parts have longer warranties

or

2. CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHZ FSB1333MHZ 6M
Motherboard: Asus Motherboard P5N-D SLI Nvidia 750 chipset
RAM: 4GB Kingston DDR2 800
Graphics: EVVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9800GTX+ OC PCIe2.0 512MB GDDR3
Audio: onboard 8 channel audio
Hard drive:WD 320GB 7200RPM SATA 8MB cache
Optical Drive: Samsung 22X DVDRW
Network: onboard Gigabit LAN
Logitech Keyboard & Mouse
Power Supply: Antec 500W
Chassis Type: Antec Sonata Medium Tower
Media Reader:f/ CF/SD/MS/Micro Drive/XD
1 year warranty, some parts have longer warranties
thanks for any replys.

Butcherbird17
November 30th, 2008, 09:56
I like the first one, to bad you can't put the e8400 with it. Not that the q6600 is a bad cpu, just the e8400 will clock higher with less voltage, and has the higher fsb. To bad the memory is only 800mhz, 1066 or higher would be better. But with ddr2 memory so cheap right now you could upgrade that at a later time. The only other thing is the hd/d with only 8mb cache, 16 or 32 would be better. Other than those few things (and thats just me) i'd get the first one.

Joe

Wulf190
November 30th, 2008, 10:15
Why don't ya build your own? Cheaper, and ya know what goes in to it.

Whats your budget?

Reddog
November 30th, 2008, 10:44

Whats your budget?
I leaned along time ago any tool in my hands becomes a deadly weapon :costumes: so don't think I'll try that route.
Budget is $2000.00 max. the #1 above is just under 1400 and the #2 is right at 900 But that one would have some upgrades done to it.

Wulf190
November 30th, 2008, 10:59

Whats your budget?

Here's a 'budget' rig I'd go for. All prices are from newegg.com, and do not include shipping.

OS: Windows XP pro 32bit - $139.00 (I like XP better then Vista, but the choice is yours)
Case: Cooler Master CM 690 - $75.00 (Awesome case, plenty of room great to work with)
CPU: Intel C2D E8400 3.0GHZ - $160.00 (Even at stock clocks this CPU is great!)
CPU Heatsink: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 - $37 (Yes replace the stock cooler with this, mucho better!)
Heatsink Retention Bracket: Xigmatek ACK-17751 - $9 (Using this is better then the pushpins)
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 - $6 (A must as far as thermal pastes go)
Optical Drive: LG 20X DVD+R SATA drive - $23 (SATA is the way to go!)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 32mb cache - $60 (I've never had a problem with these drives)
Keyboard/mouse: Logitech 967973-0403 - $13 (nice standard keyboard and mouse)
Memeory: G.SKill 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066 RAM - $60 (Awesome ram, at the great price)
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R - $109 (Awesome MoBo, great price)
PSU: Corsair 750watt PSU - $105 (One of the best around PSUs, bar none)
Video Card: MSI ATI HD 4850 512MB - $190 (Beats the 9800GTX+ and has better cooling)

Total: $986

As far as your hands turning in to deadly weapons. If I can build a computer, anybody can.:mixedsmi:

But if you want a suggestion, I wouldn't go for either of them. If your planning on running FSX only then on the first one, getting two video cards and an SLI broad is a waste, you would never use them. The Power Supply listed I would consider cheap and would even touch it. Second is the Memory, DDR2 1066 would be a far better choice. When it comes to even the video cards, I'd go for the ATI 4850 over the 9800GTX+. And right now I think both rigs would use a stock cooler on the CPUs, there are better choices out there then that.

Reddog
November 30th, 2008, 11:23
Thanks for the replys:applause:

txnetcop
December 1st, 2008, 02:13
REDDOG I'm going to tell you what it seems no one else is willing to tell you.

You would be better off buying a XPS 630 Dell

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_630?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

or this unit for FSX performance than the two you picked:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229053

Look, anyone that knows me, knows how much I hate packaged units if you are going to buy a PC to fly FSX. They would also know how much I loathe Dell. I used to do their repair work, but they have changed their gamer units to accomodate gamers. They are no longer proprietary. Even with that you would be better off having someone walk you through your own build but since you will not try that, these two units will get you where you want to go. Upgrade the memory to DDR2 PC28400 or better when you can.

You need real horsepower in your PSU, your CPU and RAM. You need reasonable horsepower in your hard drive and video card. The two units you selected are anemic at best. They lack a good PSU and memory, the hard drives are too small and too slow. FSX accesses your hard drives constantly.

Right now with the rigs you picked your fps would be no different than what you stated that you get at Old Hanger. Since you will not build your own, these two units I have suggested will be better for running FSX and other games.

Both of these will fit within your budget and allow a memory upgrade.
Ted

fcfcfc
December 1st, 2008, 03:16
Reddog, I know I am not really addressing your question, but I also thought I could not trust myself building my own and had totally dismissed anything to do with building. Then, I was "sold" on buying a custom-built by a freelance builder. That experience was very disappointing, but I learnt that I could do a better job when the PCs (yes, I bought one after another) started blacking out with no warning. Having lost faith in him, I started replacing components and discovered it was really very manageable to build one from scratch. I strongly encourage you to consider it.

Bjoern
December 1st, 2008, 06:19
Get the one from Newegg. Those Dell systems are rip-offs. Dell neither offers a good CPU nor DDR3-Ram. Video cards are on par, but speaking from my experience you're better off with a quad than with a dual core. And CPU power and good Ram is all that matters for FSX.

Reddog
December 1st, 2008, 08:14
Thanks for all the replys. Now for a question why is a Quad core better than a dual core if it's speed is lower than the dual core?

Bjoern
December 1st, 2008, 09:10
Now for a question why is a Quad core better than a dual core if it's speed is lower than the dual core?

Basically:
If you prefer higher FPS, get the Duo, if you prefer fast textuare loading, get the Quad.

I for myself needed a Quad. I don't care for FPS, the biggest nuisance to me used to be blurry, slowly loading ground textures. Add tons of AI traffic, autogen and Active Sky X and you put a strain on the system even my old overclocked Core 2 Duo E6600 couldn't cope with. CPU load levels were always at or near 100% when I went out into the royal blue.

Now I've got a Q9450 overclocked to the same 3.2Ghz my E6600 used to run with plus 4 GB Ram (used to be 2) and voilą FSX purrs like your girlfriend on one of those textbook romantic evenings.
Granted, FPS still haven't improved much but the CPU finally stopped limiting FSX in terms of loading stuff.

Bottom line:
If you're a FSX "Average Joe" (No offense!) who doesn't want to break the upper barrier for certain display settings and generally uses FSX for some spare time, mission flying, sightseeing trip or F-14 ride, in all smoothness with high FPS, without getting into the whole technical stuff too much, you're better off with a high clocking dual core.

If you want to take FSX a bit more seriously, say explore the maximum of some settings out of the display options dialogue, populate airports with tons of traffic, run FSX-related background programs, do a bit of add-on development, prefer looks over performance and don't fear some expeditions into the field of overclocking, you wouldn't want to go with anything but a quad core.

It's either cockpit or toolbox. Superbug or Tomcat. Smooth operations or raw power with potential.

The choice is entirely yours.