PDA

View Full Version : Poly display problem in FSDS 2.24 model

Shessi
January 18th, 2011, 10:40
Hi Folks,
I have been making/modding a Mosquito in FSDS 2.24 and have ended up with some unfortunate polys on the nose.
To get a sharp but rounded nose, which I've managed, it has left me with a star like pattern which the 'sun' makes shadows when shining on it. The polys are facing the correct way and even with a skin you can see the star and some of the other polys.
If someone can suggest a way to get rid of these or is it because the polys are too close and sharply angled that has reached a display limit or is there a way out??

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Shessi

hairyspin
January 18th, 2011, 10:52
Have a look at how the late Gerard van der Harst did it in this thread:- http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php?t=16418&p=175046&viewfull=1#post175046

Although he was using 3ds Max, the mesh should give you some ideas.

HTH

Shessi
January 18th, 2011, 12:58
Thanks H,
Unfortunately FSDS is very limited compared to Gmax. Given me a couple of ideas though, not ideal but looking better.

If anybody else has any ideas etc etc?....

Cheers

Shessi

Stratobat
January 18th, 2011, 13:08
Hey Shessi,

Could you post a wireframe screenshot?

I had a similar problem on the Curtiss I showed you and what I did to alleviate the problem was to scale the vertices out a little, so that they were not so close to one another, and then move them in towards the rest of the fuselage.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards,
Stratobat

Shessi
January 18th, 2011, 14:10
Hi Strato,
What I actuially did, which caused it, was as I wanted to make the nose look a lot better. So I opened it in 3.51 (as you can only add extra points between two points with 3.51, not 1.6 or 2.24), added extra points to smoothe out the nose, and closed a very small circle of points right on the end of the nose. I've then carried on building it in 2.24.

I think I get what you're saying, but I think it will spoil the shape of the nose, and with a Mossie one of the most important parts that has to look just right is the nose. Thanks for the info and I'll give it a go.

I think I'm going to have to totally re-build the nose (grrrr!!!) as the small 'star' of polys and viewable polys in the nose is %^&$% annoying.

Cheers Shessi

Stratobat
January 19th, 2011, 23:11
Hey Shessi,

With regards to my above post, this is what I mean - See screenshot.

What you do is create the fuselage like normal but instead of bringing the end vertices into a point, you leave them as a small disc like shape but just push them back a little into the fuselage until it lines up with the green dots displayed in the screenshot.

With polygon smoothing it should be pretty much invisible but I make no guarantees.

At any rate, that's how I did it with the Curtiss :wavey:

Regards,
Stratobat

FelixFFDS
January 30th, 2011, 16:12
Sheesi - Out of pure curiosity ... if you tweak it in FSDS 3.5.1, why model in FSDS 2.24?)