PDA

View Full Version : Global warming

ananda
January 18th, 2011, 01:56
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
The Washington Post

The Arctic ocean is warming up, icebergs are growing scarcer and in some places the seals are finding the water too hot, according to a report to the Commerce Department yesterday from Consulafft, at Bergen, Norway. Reports from fishermen, seal hunters and explorers all point to a radical change in climate conditions and hitherto unheard-of temperatures in the Arctic zone. Exploration expeditions report that scarcely any ice has been met as far north as 81 degrees 29 minutes.

<o:p></o:p>
Soundings to a depth of 3,100 meters showed the gulf stream still very warm. Great masses of ice have been replaced by moraines of earth and stones, the report continued, while at many points well known glaciers have entirely disappeared.

Very few seals and no white fish are found in the eastern Arctic, while vast shoals of herring and smelts which have never before ventured so far north, are being encountered in the old seal fishing grounds.

Within a few years it is predicted that due to the ice melt the sea will rise and make most coastal cities uninhabitable.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

Oops! Never mind. This report was from November 2, 1922, as reported by the Associated Press and published in the Washington Post - 88 years ago!

TomSteber
January 18th, 2011, 06:17
:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Trans_23
January 18th, 2011, 06:35
In before the lock.

Bone
January 18th, 2011, 07:04
1922...that just goes to show you

Kiwikat
January 18th, 2011, 07:10
1922...that just goes to show you

What that science and technology have come a long way to better our understanding of how the world works? That we now have supercomputers that work all day to help solve the world's problems? That we know far more about meteorology, climatology, and marine biology than we could have possibly conceived in 1922?

I don't understand the point of this thread... (well I do, but I don't :kilroy:)

Bone
January 18th, 2011, 09:25
What that science and technology have come a long way to better our understanding of how the world works? That we now have supercomputers that work all day to help solve the world's problems? That we know far more about meteorology, climatology, and marine biology than we could have possibly conceived in 1922?

That the same proof of global warming used today (ostensibly as a result of modern man's overuse of chemicals and fuels), is the same proof used almost 90 years ago, before the smoking gun of modern life existed.

Earth has heated up and cooled down countless times over the last 4.5 billion years. It's a natural cycle.

Whatever the reason for global warming these days, regardless if it's a natural occurance or from mankind's overuse of everything...we earthlings need to change our ways a bit.

Kiwikat
January 18th, 2011, 11:09
That the same proof of global warming used today (ostensibly as a result of modern man's overuse of chemicals and fuels), is the same proof used almost 90 years ago, before the smoking gun of modern life existed.

Must be talking about documents seen elsewhere. Nowhere in the OP does it say anything about causal. If you've got documents from the 20's that talk about the greenhouse effect, greenhouse gases, pollution, and climate trends, please share them! :salute:

Bone
January 18th, 2011, 11:42
Must be talking about documents seen elsewhere. Nowhere in the OP does it say anything about causal. If you've got documents from the 20's that talk about the greenhouse effect, greenhouse gases, pollution, and climate trends, please share them! :salute:

I didn't say anything about 1920's talk of greenhouse effect, greenhouse gases, pollution, and climate trends, or did I hint at it. I said what they used as proof..ie melting polar ice caps and rising sea levels...the end results of warming. I didn't say anything about what causes it either, other than stating that global warming has been coming and going for 4.5 billion years. I did say that global warming and cooling is a natural event. Mankind hasn't caused it, it's just the paradigm of the planet. Of course, mankind has contributed to it in the last 40 years, that's why I said we earthings need to change our ways.

Last but not least, my comment about the smoking gun of modern life was really a jab at the alarmist Chicken Little types, who've been trying to put people in a tizzy about global warming, and blaming mankind for it.

deathfromafar
January 18th, 2011, 11:44
I saw a scan of the original print from 1922. It is legit but it is a small clip from a larger scientific writing at the time. What some may find interesting is that there were some scientists who around the same time were predicting a new ice age and reporting it in the news papers. Interesting.

Bjoern
January 18th, 2011, 12:43
...and no one on earth considers that global warming stuff to be the perfect ruse to stop the public from wasting resources on a grand scale.

The research boost for new technology is also nice. :cool: