PDA

View Full Version : Flight sim pc dies.

Roger
January 17th, 2011, 11:27
My main Flight sim pc died this evening. No smoke or fireworks just silence. I tried replacing the fuse in the mains plug but it just blows them instantly so I'm assuming that it's the psu. Got it out and had a look for any obviously damaged components or burn marks but nothing. Anyone think I might have missed something obvious other than the psu?
I'm typing this on my ancient electrically powered abacus that Noah would have recognised, lol!

Lewis-A2A
January 17th, 2011, 11:41
Replace the psu Roger and dont mess with it anymore, try replacing it with a spare from a friend or somesuch. Reason I say stop playing with old one, is if its gone theres chance everything else is ok and you dont want to fry anything else :/

Roadburner440
January 17th, 2011, 11:46
I would start with the PSU Roger.. If it is drawing to much power that would definately be a cause. I do not think it would damage any of the other components though as those are only going to draw the electricity they need.. It may have grounded out internally, or just burned up from use. I hope you are able to replace it, and everything works flawlessly afterward. Can't think of to much else that would cause it. The internal components wouldn't be able to pull enough on their own to trip a breaker I would think. Computer just wouldn't boot.

OleBoy
January 17th, 2011, 12:04
I'd take the PSU out and test it in another plug-in. On a different circuit of the house. It could be a bad breaker in the house power panel OR, even the plug-in where it was plugged too could be bad

Thinkin out loud here is all

Roger
January 18th, 2011, 09:06
Thanks guys! It was the psu and a replacement solved the problem:jump:

I had a few sinking moments when it wouldn't boot but then I realised I'd missed an ancillary power cable to the mobo...phew.

robcap
January 18th, 2011, 10:44
Phew:kilroy:

BOOM
January 21st, 2011, 14:12
Oh Boy,This just happened to me now.Came home from work,went to switch pc on,and nothing-Zip.I don't even see the little light that's usually there. Can you tell me where are the fuses on PSU's?I can't find any on mine.
THX

Roger
January 21st, 2011, 14:19
Oh Boy,This just happened to me now.Came home from work,went to switch pc on,and nothing-Zip.I don't even see the little light that's usually there. Can you tell me where are the fuses on PSU's?I can't find any on mine.
THX

The only fuse I had was a 5 amp fuse in the mains plug. The only thing to do is to replace the power supply if you can't find any other issues.

BOOM
January 21st, 2011, 14:43
OK Rodger Thank You.I've never replaced one so this should be interesting,This one is about 4yrs Old so maybe it's time.I'm Hoping!

Roger
January 21st, 2011, 15:05
OK Rodger Thank You.I've never replaced one so this should be interesting,This one is about 4yrs Old so maybe it's time.I'm Hoping!

I'd take it with you (having removed it from your pc...normally 4 screws and all the connectors) so the guy in the shop can help find the right replacement.

Warrant
January 21st, 2011, 16:23
This is a flightsimmers horror thread with some happy endings..........

BOOM
January 22nd, 2011, 09:12
"It's Alive"!!!!! Haha,Rodger,Thanks very much.I just finished installing a 900W Rockfish Power Supply and my rig is Purring like a kitten!!!:jump:

I must admit,I was a little intimidated when I pulled out the old one and it resembled a adolescent Octopus!! lol[so many cables/connectors],But with a little patience and common sense I got it installed and working!

Thanks very much for the advice!
Cheers!!!

Now I'm ready for The RealAir Duke Turbine and The A2A Spit!!!:jump:

Roger
January 22nd, 2011, 10:23
Great news! Glad it worked out:ernae: