PDA

View Full Version : Free Flight Atlas

paulb
January 16th, 2011, 03:15
I just purchased 'The Pilots Free Flight Atlas' for the USA/Canada and Mexico. I normally fly in the UK and Europe (and have lots of charts for that area), but the OrbX NA scenery got me flying in the US a lot more. I didn't have any detailed charts for that area, and - as a casual flyer - I dont have the two screen moving map/FS set up that some others have.

Anyway, after looking around I found this atlas - and its quite useful. It covers the area at a scale of 1:2000,000 and includes over 6,000 airports in its 100+ colour map pages. The book itself is about A4 in size, softback and also includes airport lists etc in its nearly 200 pages. I bought mine from flightstore in the UK.

It might not be detailed enough if you only fly the PNW, but as a US/Canada airport altas, I find it useful. I just thought that I would share this info.

Francois
January 16th, 2011, 03:42
Paul, what you'll REALLY want is the 'Alaska Atlas & Gazetteer' from DeLorme. It is the 'standard' atlas by default for all of us bush pilots flying the Tongass Fjords and other areas. :wiggle:

It's only US$ 14 these days ! http://www.amazon.com/Alaska-Atlas-Gazetteer/dp/0899332897

Wild Bill Kelso
January 16th, 2011, 04:03
Paul, what you'll REALLY want is the 'Alaska Atlas & Gazetteer' ...
Thanks for this HU, mate! :salute:
I'm off to buy it.

I've been using the Free Flight Atlas for years now and still love it!
To make even better use of it, I cut the pages apart and put them into punched pockets. All of my scenery addons (Tongass and Misty Fjords, Glacier Bay coverage area, addon airports) and navigation aids (radials, distances) were marked with permanent marker on the pocket, making a bush pilot's life much easier...

Cheers,
Markus.

paulb
January 16th, 2011, 04:08
Thanks Francois,

It does look good! I will have a look at the other volumes also.

Cheers

Paul