PDA

View Full Version : Places to fly in the Northern Rockies...

Jim Brown
January 14th, 2011, 19:37
I just bought the ORBx Northern Rocky Mountain package, and I was wondering what everyone's favorite places to fly there are.:salute:

Overshoe
January 14th, 2011, 20:09
I just bought the ORBx Northern Rocky Mountain package, and I was wondering what everyone's favorite places to fly there are.:salute:

I haven't had a lot of time to fly there yet because of computer problems but start at Coeur D'alene and head more or less North by Northwest in a good sightseeing plane.

spotlope
January 14th, 2011, 21:52
I'm partial to the Okanagan Valley, as I had the chance to visit there this fall. Try Penticton, BC, or perhaps Kelowna. I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been there yet in the sim, but if the terrain is anything like the real place, it'll be an interesting place to fly.

huub vink
January 15th, 2011, 04:26
I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been there yet in the sim, but if the terrain is anything like the real place, it'll be an interesting place to fly.

Sorry Bill, but this sentence coming from you did put a big grin on my face ;) It just asks for a reply like; I hope it looks as good in reality as it does in the sim....

Huub

Rockitglider
January 15th, 2011, 04:34
Hello,

Try Vancouver, British Col. and Missoula Montana, or fly from one to the other, this will give you a few nice sites along the way.

See ya, Rockitglider :jump:

vora
January 15th, 2011, 04:44
NRM is clearly the most deversified region OrbX has done so far.
Here are my favourite areas...

My standard adjustments:
Spring, 19.00, autogen "very dense", fair weather, Ant's Tecnam Sierra

Canadian Rockies
CYJA Jasper
CYBA Banff

BC inland along Fraser River
CYXS Prince George
CYQZ Quesnel
For a long flight go CYXS-CYQZ-CYBD (Bella Coola if you have PFJ) and then to Vancouver Island.

US
S35 Okanogan, Washington (dry valley, nice airport)
MT17 Wurtz, Montana (bearing 010 to Glacier National Park)

BOOM
January 15th, 2011, 06:38
Check this out,Leathbridge Albert[CYQL] to Creston B.C.[CAJ3] in a I82 Skylane,I don't care much for the music,but the scenery/video/stillshots are very well done.IMHO

http://www.vimeo.com/17035496

Jim Brown
January 15th, 2011, 07:14
ok. Thanks everyone for all the suggestions, this will give me places to fly for quite a while.

OleBoy
January 15th, 2011, 11:42
Nice flight. The first leg a little gloomy, the second leg looked like it made the trip more worth while. I enjoyed the music.

Thanks for sharing the flick

W. Bleddyn
January 15th, 2011, 13:25
The first leg a little gloomy, the second leg looked like it made the trip more worth while.

Once the Rockies end Canada is as flat as a pool table until you hit Eastern Manitoba. I have driven across it twice.. there were a couple small rises every once in awhile.. but very flat. They joke that in Saskatchewan you can see your dog run away for three days!

On topic.. I was going to do a trip from Prince George, no flight plan and just follow the Yellowhead (Hwy 16) West going low and slow to Prince Rupert (Orbx NA PFJ). It is again a drive I have done in RL a few times and if the game lives up to it then it will be a fantastic flight. I am a little fuzzy on where PFJ ends and NRM begins at this moment, gonna have to look at the maps.. but all around up there should be spectacular.

OleBoy
January 15th, 2011, 13:59
I keep saying to the wife, honey, one of these days were going to be spontaneous as gas fumes again, and we're going on a trip through BC and Canada. And once we leave, it's going to take a minimum of two weeks. She comments, why? I said, we're driving! LOL!! I don't want to rush a beautiful thing. I want to experience every bit I can!