PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone paying attention to...

Rami
November 29th, 2008, 17:49
To all,

I am so excited to see the NHL returning to the fast-paced game that I watched when I was a kid, when Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Cam Neely, Mario Lemieux, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, and Pat LaFontaine were among my hockey heroes.

Being a passionate Bruins fan, it's wonderful to see my Bruins returning to the tough, physical, yet skilled hockey backed by great goaltending that I loved watching. Now, I am eagerly watching Phil Kessel, Marc Savard, Zdeno Chara, Patrice Bergeron, and many other solid hockey players that make it fun to wear the "Black and Gold" again.

Having passed a major test tonight by beating the reigning champs - Detroit (we are 16-4-4 at the moment), I am hoping the Bruins can join the "Boston Three Party" (the Patriots, Celtics, and Red Sox) which have brought Boston a few trophies, banners, and pennants the last several years.

Who are your favorite NHL teams (no judgement here :mixedsmi:) and players, past or present?

Panther_99FS
November 29th, 2008, 18:07
To all,

I am so excited to see the NHL returning to the fast-paced game that I watched when I was a kid, when Wayne Gretzky, Jari Kurri, Cam Neely, Mario Lemieux, Ray Bourque, Paul Coffey, and Pat LaFontaine were among my hockey heroes.

:icon_lol:....
When I was a kid, I was admiring Bobby Orr, Bobby/Dennis Hull, Gordie Howe, Guy Lafleur, Stan Mikita, Henri Richard.....

Baron von Blutwurst
November 29th, 2008, 18:25
The French Connection bro. The Sabres Rule!

TARPSBird
November 29th, 2008, 18:25
When I was a kid, I was admiring Bobby Orr, Bobby/Dennis Hull, Gordie Howe, Guy Lafleur, Stan Mikita, Henri Richard.....
Those are the names I remember from "back in the days". My uncle was a big hockey fan. When I was a kid I used to watch the Blackhawks games with him on WGN in Chicago.

Butcherbird17
November 29th, 2008, 18:28
Hi, My name is Joe and i'm a Panthers fan.:wavey::kilroy: I still have great memories of the 96 playoffs when we beat your Bruins for our first ever series victory
(The Year of the Rat), then going on to beat the Mighty Penguins (Lemieux lead) in 7, only to be swept by Colorado in the Finals.:redf: That was one of the best teams we've had here of nothing but gritty players (no stars) well except for the Beezer until we got Pavel (the Russian Rocket) Bure. I got to see Gretzky play in his last playoff year (with Rangers) and get a hat trick on us.:isadizzy: He is the best to ever play. Right now we have a star in the making David Booth. I luv watching this kid play, he is fast with great puck handling skills and can score. Now if we can get Corey Stillman and Richard Zednik healthy we could make a run at the playoffs.:friday:

Joe

GT182
November 29th, 2008, 18:44

Gump Worsley, Guy LeFleur to mention a couple more. Now that was hockey back then. :)

Silver Fox
November 29th, 2008, 20:09
We can't forget the Mahovolich brothers!

Panther_99FS
November 29th, 2008, 20:34
Those are the names I remember from "back in the days". My uncle was a big hockey fan. When I was a kid I used to watch the Blackhawks games with him on WGN in Chicago.

I got into playing hockey because as a kid, I lived in the same apartment building as Eric Nesterenko and he got me into the sport :mixedsmi:

Panther_99FS
November 29th, 2008, 20:35
We can't forget the Mahovolich brothers!

No kidding! :applause:

srgalahad
November 29th, 2008, 21:24
OUCH! .. when I was a kid, most of those were too.. except for "Elbows" Howe (but he has been around forever). Grew up not far from the old Forum and remember Guy the Flower's rookie season... ahhh the Gump, Doug Harvey, the play-by-play of Danny Galivan and a young goalie by the name of Sawchuck.

Panther_99FS
November 29th, 2008, 22:06
Yikes,
How could I have forgotten Bobby Clarke, the Esposito brothers, & Ken Dryden too....:redf:

WND
November 30th, 2008, 03:26
I grew up and lived most of my life in New Hampshire so obviously I was a big Bruins fan!! Bobby, Phil, Derick, and lets not forget Cheevers! If my memory serves me correct he wouldn't play all that well during the season but when it came to the playoffs - you couldn't get ANYTHING pass him!!!

Dain Arns
November 30th, 2008, 04:30
Heh. Anyone remember the Denver Spurs? Denver's near attempt at gaining a pro franchise in the mid '70s along with Seattle that was eventually canceled by the NHL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_Spurs

Interesting to read the wikipedia info, I did not know they were formerly the Chicago Cougars. I still have a pennant I coaxed my father into buying for me one night. We had season tickets up until the midnight move to Ottawa. :isadizzy:

So, I have to support the Colorado Avalanche despite being at the bottom of the standings usually, these days. *sigh* :173go1: