PDA

View Full Version : going to fly jumbo for the first time

war.ace
November 29th, 2008, 17:13
I'm going to fly the secret shuttle mission and it's my first time to fly a jumbo jet. I already know the landing's going to be pretty bad since I have some trouble with approaches and night time navigation.

wish me luck,
war.ace

jmig
November 29th, 2008, 18:39
I'm going to fly the secret shuttle mission and it's my first time to fly a jumbo jet. I already know the landing's going to be pretty bad since I have some trouble with approaches and night time navigation.

wish me luck,
war.ace

:costumes: Where and when? I want to make sure I am not around.

Good luck!
:)

txnetcop
November 30th, 2008, 01:06
Yep good luck war.ace that is a lot of plane. We have a real 747 pilot (Fliger 747) in the forum who just might join in here and give ya tips.
Ted

fliger747
November 30th, 2008, 12:43
Howdy:

In actuality the whale is fairly easy to land once you satisfy several parameters. The most important issue is knowing your weight, from which you can calculate your approach speed. The real plane is quite stable and can be flown within a knot or two of the desired Vref speed. Yes there are autothrottles but it is actually easier to hand fly without them.

Max landing weight for the 400 is 302,093 KG (about 665,000 lbs). At this weight your approach speed will be 159 knots with full (30 deg) flaps. Empty with min fuel, 125 knots might work! At least try to fly an ILS, if only to get a good three degree descent profile established. We have a radar altimeter making audible callouts, at 50 feet pitch the nose up smoothly 2 degrees, at 30 feet reduce the thrust to idle and hold the attitude. if it doesn't land in a couple of seconds RELAX the yoke a little. After touchdown hit the spoiler {/} key and reverse the engines, going to idle again by 60 knots. Brake as necessary!

The whole key is being established at the final approach fix (about 1500' and 5 miles) wiht gear and full flaps down and on speed. It will take some miles to do this!

Good luck: T.

war.ace
November 30th, 2008, 16:26
awesome thanks, I didnt know that the spoilers are only supposed to be hit after touchdown. That's why I always come short of of the runway.

:costumes:@ jmig if you where there you probably would have gotten pancaked by the wheels if you were standing between me and the runway.

I think I'll stick with small planes for a while and practice with my landing and navigation.

Lionheart
November 30th, 2008, 18:47
They are wild ships to learn to fly.

You can use spoilers, but only as speed brakes (low percentages during approaches and descents). Full spoilers are indeed for slowing down after touch down.

Pulling the nose up when taking off can only go to a certain angle or you damage the tail as it tends to drag on an abrupt nose up take-off manuvere.

You cant land with so much weight on board. If you are fully laden and just took off, you'll need to drop some fuel (dump it in the air) in order to land or you'll damage the landing gear.

When going intercontinental (up to 40K plus altitude), you must bleed off fuel to get higher. By bleeding, you will lose some already when climbing, thus making you able to get even higher. The weight at first is too great for you to get to FL 400, so you'll have to slowly get there.

Fun bird to learn. Good to know the facts on these wild things.....

747 FLieger is a 'bonified' driver of such beasts. He can tell you some cool facts on them.

Bill

txnetcop
December 1st, 2008, 02:19
Don't give up war.ace. Fliger747 knows his stuff. I learned a lot from him on flying commercial airliners in the RTW contest two years ago. I'm not a tubeliner fan, but with FSX we have some really nice options in tubeliners that come with the package.
Ted

Brett_Henderson
December 1st, 2008, 03:21
The "largest" airplane I've ever flown and landed for real, was a C-90... and I've got a lot of twin piston time (310, and Seneca), but most of my recent flying has been light singles.

The principles are the same.. it's all about nailing the numbers. If you're at the proper altitude, properly configured, at the proper airspeed... everything else falls into place.

The trick to flying big tubes in the sim, is the same as it is in real life. Work your way up the speed and complexity ladder. If you can't fly a perfect pattern and stabilized approach in a C172, effortlessly, you'll have your hands full in the Baron.. and so on.. up through the KingAir, Lear, CRJ, 737, and 747.

Crshing over and over until you finally don't crash, might be a luxury in simming.. but you really don't learn anything. It's not very satisfying, and will shorten your attention-span.

I don't fly the tubes often, because it's VERY difficult to do it realistically, if you aren't doing it regularly.

I've got all I can handle flight-planning, navigating and flying the C172, realistically.. :mixedsmi:

Brett_Henderson
December 2nd, 2008, 09:48
We've got a similar discussion going on at another forum.. Mainly talking about how to make it across the ocean without running out of fuel :wiggle:

Input from a real 747 pilot would be more than welcome..

Rather than cross-link and cause confusion.. I'll just ask and relate..

I'd assume that the climb would be at something resembling Vy.. which leaves the question... Is it more efficient to blast up to the more efficient altitude at a high power setting ? Or is it better (for range) to nurse it up to cruise altitude ?

Lionheart
December 2nd, 2008, 09:55
Fliger747,

You must have written yours when I wrote mine, lol..

:ernae:

Bill

Henry
December 2nd, 2008, 10:58
Actually fliger 747 is a very talented person
glad we have staff like he and others
if it was down to me id just say turn crash off :redf:
and wing it
after flying in a few airbuses recently noticed the spoiler
handy to get a wing seat
but War.ace you and i are in the same boat:censored:
LOL