hey_moe
January 14th, 2011, 02:52
They are something to watch at a shows, thanks for sharing, Mike

rayrey10
January 14th, 2011, 04:56
Cool vid. Thanks for sharing.

stiz
January 14th, 2011, 04:57
the blue angles and thunderbirds are a wierd lot ... the flying skill is fantastic .. however as a "show" .. its boreing they fly off outta sight for ages, then fly over you in a few seconds .. fly off again .... i know i've only seen videos of em but compared to other display teams in the world that always have something in sight its pretty boreing :engel016:

Bone
January 14th, 2011, 05:03
... the flying skill is fantastic .. however as a "show" .. its boreing they fly off outta sight for ages, then fly over you in a few seconds .. fly off again .... i know i've only seen videos of em but compared to other display teams in the world that always have something in sight its pretty boreing :engel016:

I have to agree with you. They're great pilots, but should take a look at changing up their shows a bit.

Jwcfly
January 14th, 2011, 05:31
The flying actually sent shivers down my spine. Thank you for posting.

The Blues come here every 2 years to The National Cherry Festival in Traverse City. Most bring their families to get some quality personal time in. The community really embraces them.

Walking through the downtown streets with Fat Albert just a few hundred feet directly above you, the sound reverberating off the brick walls is quite a sensation.

The sound of the F-18s flying so close feels like a needle through your ears. Everything shakes.

America's Best

American Heroes

bearcat241
January 14th, 2011, 06:21
That's the stuff right there...i grew up watching the Navy BA's and the AF TB's flying right over my house near Dobbins AFB/NAS Atlanta, beginning with Grumman F-11's and North American F-100's - both very cool machines in their day.

But my favorite shows were watching them move those big, powerful F-4 Phantoms around like sky toys.

While you're over there in this Youtube video, check out the Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Races A U.S. Navy Fighter Jet video that comes up afterwards.

kilo delta
January 14th, 2011, 07:19
the blue angles and thunderbirds are a wierd lot ... the flying skill is fantastic .. however as a "show" .. its boreing they fly off outta sight for ages, then fly over you in a few seconds .. fly off again .... i know i've only seen videos of em but compared to other display teams in the world that always have something in sight its pretty boreing :engel016:

I agree. The Tbirds show is more about creating noise than putting on a great show of air(wo)manship,in my own opinion ,of course. I much prefer the Blue's ultra tight formations. Best display team for me are the Red Arrows,closely followed by the Patrouille de France. Front line combat aircraft don't necessarily provide the best mount for display teams.

stiz
January 14th, 2011, 09:00
the raptor would be pretty good if used right, it did a cracking display at RIAT .. allthough 9 of em would prolly make everybody death :icon_lol:

Wittpilot
January 14th, 2011, 13:07
Okay, Here is a question I've had for a couple of years but never bothered asking.....

If you notice at the 10 second mark, there are "notches" for lack of a better term, on the gear hatches.... They are not equal, and when the plane rolls and the light hits them, they almost look like rust..... I cannot fathom they would let rust even think about existing on their aircraft, but I can't understand why it looks like that, as it is a very irregular shape...

Any Idears?

falcon409
January 14th, 2011, 16:38
Okay, Here is a question I've had for a couple of years but never bothered asking.....

If you notice at the 10 second mark, there are "notches" for lack of a better term, on the gear hatches.... They are not equal, and when the plane rolls and the light hits them, they almost look like rust..... I cannot fathom they would let rust even think about existing on their aircraft, but I can't understand why it looks like that, as it is a very irregular shape...

Any Idears?
Hmmm, I paused it at the 19sec mark, where the most light seems to be hitting the gear door. I have to say, it actually appears like a damaged area of the gear door. I know very little about the F-18 so maybe someone who has crewed or flown this bird can comment (you know. . .someone who actually knows what they're talking about). I find it hard to believe as well that anything like that would exist on that airplane, but if you look at that area and pause at 19 seconds. . .you tell me. . . .

airattackimages
January 14th, 2011, 16:47
The Blues do an excellent job of keeping the show moving. The Thunderbirds... I'll give to you that one, -they disappear a lot and have a lot of gaps. But you can't lump the Blue Angels in on that, because their show is entirely different when you factor in their use of timing patterns. Obviously if you weren't basing your opinion on videos, and actually watched their show - you'd see the difference.

You also can't compare them to other teams that feel the need to have a dozen aircraft in their formations.

airattackimages
January 14th, 2011, 16:55
Hmmm, I paused it at the 19sec mark, where the most light seems to be hitting the gear door. I have to say, it actually appears like a damaged area of the gear door. I know very little about the F-18 so maybe someone who has crewed or flown this bird can comment (you know. . .someone who actually knows what they're talking about). I find it hard to believe as well that anything like that would exist on that airplane, but if you look at that area and pause at 19 seconds. . .you tell me. . . .
That's actually the war the gear door is shaped on all Legacy Hornets. :) The angle makes it look much more dramatic than it actually is when viewed from the side profile. I looked through a bunch of my pics from NAF El Centro over the last few years (both Blue Angels and fleet aircraft) and confirmed they all look this way. :)

Bone
January 14th, 2011, 18:30
The Blues do an excellent job of keeping the show moving. The Thunderbirds... I'll give to you that one, -they disappear a lot and have a lot of gaps. But you can't lump the Blue Angels in on that, because their show is entirely different when you factor in their use of timing patterns. Obviously if you weren't basing your opinion on videos, and actually watched their show - you'd see the difference.

You also can't compare them to other teams that feel the need to have a dozen aircraft in their formations.

I agree also. The Blues have always had a more lively show than the T-birds. I've seen one or the other just about every year, so maybe some of my boredom with live shows is from that. But, I still think they're great pilots, even for low timers, lol. (One of the BA's has 1700 hours of total time.)

Willy
January 14th, 2011, 21:38
I think I liked the Blues best when they were flying the A-4s.

demorier
January 14th, 2011, 22:31
Hmmm...very impressive.:jump:

Cazzie
January 15th, 2011, 01:03
I see them about every year at NAS Oceana. Great video, watch in HD all.

Caz

kilo delta
January 15th, 2011, 05:37

Don't know about Stiz, but I've been lucky enough to have seen,in the metal, all of the teams mentioned on this thread. Hence my belief that the Reds put on a much more polished and technically better show. All my own opinion,of course. :)