PDA

View Full Version : Wings of Power finds! 2nd hand

OleBoy
January 13th, 2011, 16:14
Three weeks ago (there abouts) I went to the local gamehead shops where you can buy new or used games for all platforms. I didn't find anything. I spoke to the store manager at GameStop (we're fairly good friends :)) and I told him that I was looking for anything related to Microsoft Flight Simulator. I gave him my number and told him to call if he found anything. The thing about most of these game stores is that they're networked between other shops to hunt for games people are wanting.

Well, I think it was six days later when I received a phone call from Art (GameStop Manager) that he'd gotten a small box (11 cds) of stuff. He told me he paid $60.00 for it all!!, and that I needed to stop by. Today I was in town so I stopped in with a big smile on my face..lol. Thing is, I left there with a bigger smile because I picked up three Wings Of Power goodies for $16.00!! :jump: :cool:

I got Wings of Power Heavy Bombers and Jets, WWII Fighters, and a freebee called Aircraft Power Pack (scratched, but may be salvageable?)

Can scratches be removed from cd's? I heard that peanut butter works? I'll have to research it.

Forgot to add, If you have any game shops around you, it'd be worth a look. Don't forget to ask them if they're linked to a gaming network!

Cag40Navy
January 13th, 2011, 16:32
Hmmmm..... Sounds sweet! :d

OleBoy
January 13th, 2011, 16:37
The shop owner has 8 more cd's though I couldn't afford it. He told me that no one has ever asked for flightsim stuff anyway. So, odds are he'll have what's left at the end of the month. Of which I will be going back to check out the rest ;)

Moses03
January 13th, 2011, 16:48
Nice find!

Stratobat
January 13th, 2011, 16:51
Hey OleBoy,

Can scratches be removed from cd's? I heard that peanut butter works? I'll have to research it.

You could try a bench mounted polishing machine if you have access to one.

I've seen this method used before in a video rental shop, so I assume it works to some degree.

Regards,
Stratobat

OleBoy
January 13th, 2011, 17:16
Hmmm, I will look into it. Thanks Stratobat.

Well, I wonder if there were any updates for the WWII Fighters. On applying the brakes (full up elevator) the Spit, BF109, and the Mustang nose over forward at ridiculous speeds. And from a flying perspective, the mustang falls right out of the sky with the slightest maneuvers.

Did they ever release any updates for the WWII Fighters? I'd sure like to find them if they did.

Any suggestions?

Great news!! I found updates at GamersHell.com for both cd sets :)

OleBoy
January 13th, 2011, 18:03
All appears to be fixed with the updates. It sure is nice that they were still available for download :ernae:

After dinner, more flying these beauties:jump:

hawkeye52
January 13th, 2011, 18:39
CDs should be polished RADIALLY, ie, from the center to the outside in straight strokes...NOT circumferentially as you would clean an old LP disc (remember those? LOL)

-h52

johnh_049
January 13th, 2011, 18:48

a mildly abrasive toothpaste (not the gel type) can polish out minor scratches.

momone
January 13th, 2011, 18:59
Three weeks ago (there abouts) I went to the local gamehead shops where you can buy new or used games for all platforms. I didn't find anything. I spoke to the store manager at GameStop (we're fairly good friends :)) and I told him that I was looking for anything related to Microsoft Flight Simulator. I gave him my number and told him to call if he found anything. The thing about most of these game stores is that they're networked between other shops to hunt for games people are wanting.

Well, I think it was six days later when I received a phone call from Art (GameStop Manager) that he'd gotten a small box (11 cds) of stuff. He told me he paid $60.00 for it all!!, and that I needed to stop by. Today I was in town so I stopped in with a big smile on my face..lol. Thing is, I left there with a bigger smile because I picked up three Wings Of Power goodies for $16.00!! :jump: :cool:

I got Wings of Power Heavy Bombers and Jets, WWII Fighters, and a freebee called Aircraft Power Pack (scratched, but may be salvageable?)

Forgot to add, If you have any game shops around you, it'd be worth a look. Don't forget to ask them if they're linked to a gaming network!

Yes scratches can often be fixed. One of the old tricks of the trade involves aerosol furniture polish with a soft cloth. It's advisable to rub from the center (of the disk) outwards. That tip was given to me by a kind video chain operator who sells me many of his previously viewed movies. My local librarian also uses the same simple trick to clean the DVD's they rent-out. I've tried it and it works well! I've tried it with different brands of furniture polish and I recommend the most known name brand out there. I'm willing to pledge that you'll figure it out(!).

Good luck with your disks!

OleBoy
January 13th, 2011, 19:00
Thanks for the input on the scratches. They're not real bad (like set on a desk and slid across), so I hope I can get the disk to install. Would be nice. From what I understand everything on there is the same as the other two, short of the CFS3 stuff, which I don't care about. I'll just keep my fingers crossed. If it won't work with getting a little TLC, no loss.

Desert Rat
January 14th, 2011, 00:50
Olé chap,

if you don't want to try doing the disc yourself, try a reputable film rental shop, they have machines similar to that mentioned above, my local one will polish a disc for a nominal fee, maybe yours will too.

Be sure to check the A2A forums (http://a2asimulations.com/forum/index.php) for updates on them, they sometimes add variants (Bf109, etc) and correct errors.

happy flying,
Jamie

PS. Got mine from my local PC world clearance sale.

dhasdell
January 14th, 2011, 04:44
I was going to suggest toothpaste too - I remember using it on the canopies of plastic kits if they were scratched in the packaging, and it worked a treat.

johnh_049
January 14th, 2011, 05:53
I was going to suggest toothpaste too - I remember using it on the canopies of plastic kits if they were scratched in the packaging, and it worked a treat.
just be sure to rinse the disc good before putting it back in the drive...:173go1:

Z-claudius24
January 14th, 2011, 06:32
Hi,

If the scratches are not on the label side .. it's hope to recuperate the CD.
If it's on the label side ... you have no luck. AFAIK