PDA

View Full Version : Public Service Announcement

Willy
January 13th, 2011, 15:57
I was doing a little research on the He 162 a few hours ago and did a search. One of the links that kicked up was ww2aircraft.net/forum. I'd been there before a good while back and didn't think anything about it. As soon as I clicked on it, some kind of malware bug blew through AVG Pay version and set up housekeeping on my comp. I tried everything I could think of to shut it down with no luck. I was beginning to think that I'd have to wipe my HD and lose everything on it. It wasn't letting me go back to a restore point and I was at my last straw with it.

Fortunately, I somehow managed to get into the safe mode and do a restore point from there. Otherwise, I wouldn't have came back here and take a chance on infecting SOH.

It's going to be a while before I go anywhere but my usual stops on the net.

Dangerousdave26
January 14th, 2011, 02:54
Another reason to not have Advertising. Many times the infected site is not infected at all but they have banner ads that change with each page load. Those banner ads get these nasty little SOB's placed in them. Since they are hosted on a remote server and not on the website you are accessing it becomes a real crapshoot on when you will get hit by one.

Very luck you survived it. Now for the next question...

Is Flight Simulator still backed up to a spare drive?

It is time for me to do that myself again.

Willy
January 14th, 2011, 09:53
It is, but needs updated after I get it back to where it was before. I'd updated all my DC-4s to Vers 3 and I have to do that again. Took me a couple of hours last time.

Also going to set a new restore point when I'm done upgrading too.

Dangerousdave26
January 14th, 2011, 14:31
I am in the process right now of coping both of my FS Installs and my addon scenery remote folder to my server. Its been too long since I have done this.

Willy
January 14th, 2011, 16:23
Digging through the DC-4 and Canadair C-4 adding the Vers 3 update, I was missing all the .wav files in all three sound folders (sound.cfg files were fine), some texture folders were empty and in one of the main DC-4 folders, it was just the usual folders, the aircraft.cfg and nothing else. No .air file or any of the rest. Looks like I need to dig through my FS install and see what the hit was on everything else. Restore points might not be as great as I thought although it still beats the alternative I was looking at.