PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it. I bought the VRS Super Bug......

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2011, 10:11
Oh my. This is amazing! I worked on Hornets for a short period of time, when they were first introduced into the fleet (84-87) with VFA-106.

The first paint I selected was that squadron. This is amazing! Definitely worth the money, in my opinion.

Combined with Ron's Corsair II, I almost feel like I am back on the flight line at NAS Cecil Field!!!!

NC

pilottj
January 13th, 2011, 10:20
Yeah it is amazing, it is like the accusim of modern jet fighters. I can't wait for their service pack updates which will have lots more goodies. I think they plan to do an F model down the road.

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2011, 10:28
My last back seat ride was in a F/A-18D, in 1986, with VFA-106.

I have to say it wasn't as thrilling as being in a Phantom or a Tomcat, but still a RUSH!!!!

NC

fox18delta
January 13th, 2011, 11:16
Oh my. This is amazing! I worked on Hornets for a short period of time, when they were first introduced into the fleet (84-87) with VFA-106.

The first paint I selected was that squadron. This is amazing! Definitely worth the money, in my opinion.

Combined with Ron's Corsair II, I almost feel like I am back on the flight line at NAS Cecil Field!!!!

NC

Chief

The more you fly this bird, the more you'll love it...make sure to get upgrade, version 1.0.9.9

Fly Navy !

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2011, 12:30
Chief

The more you fly this bird, the more you'll love it...make sure to get upgrade, version 1.0.9.9

Fly Navy !

Well, I just downloaded it today. Isn't it the most current version?

NC

SADT
January 13th, 2011, 12:49
When the TacPack comes out, I WILL buy this. I never liked the shape of the default F/A-18.

fox18delta
January 13th, 2011, 13:23

NC

You should be ok, but when you select the ACM, it will provide you with the latest version, if you do not have it. :-)

HvyEng
January 13th, 2011, 13:35
I just bought both VRS Superbug and RAZBAM A-7 set last night also.

My wife had to put a car battery next to my seat to shock me back, I keep passing out from overload.

Great googly-moogly those are some awsome rides, it was WELL worth my blown flightsim budget. I guess I'm back to tuna fish and ramen noodles for a whlie, but at least I'll be eating it while shooting at stuff (soon)!

Lawdy lawdy the first cessna that cuts me off in the traffic pattern better watch out.

--Dan

Daube
January 13th, 2011, 13:44

NC

Yes and no.
You can in fact download, if you want, a beta version of the "SP1" that will be released hopefully in a very near future (some weeks?).
I prefer waiting for the real SP1.

NWarty
January 13th, 2011, 14:30
I guess I'm back to tuna fish and ramen noodles for a whlie, but at least I'll be eating it while shooting at stuff (soon)!

Lawdy lawdy the first cessna that cuts me off in the traffic pattern better watch out.

--Dan

That's gonna be hilarious the first youtube video we see of a Hornet taking out the AI that just cut him off. Priceless. :D

Roadburner440
January 13th, 2011, 14:30
I can't believe you just bought this bird NC. I figured being the big Navy buff you were you already had it.. I have had this bird from day 1 and absolutely love it. Cannot wait for the Tac Pac, and Pro Package to come out.

airattackimages
January 13th, 2011, 15:15
Congrats, and I hope you are enamored with it as much as I am. What a machine. Waiting for the F model (and holding my breath there will be some way of getting a G, even if it's just a selection of stores that would allow the placement of ALQ-99 and ALQ-218 pods.)

And of course... first thing's first... the TacPack!!! :wiggle:

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2011, 15:20
I already can tell I will have to adjust my control settings (sensitivity). Landing this baby can be a challenge! For some reason, the speed brake isn't responding to the button I have set for it. Need to check on that.

NC

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2011, 16:16
I can't believe you just bought this bird NC. I figured being the big Navy buff you were you already had it.. I have had this bird from day 1 and absolutely love it. Cannot wait for the Tac Pac, and Pro Package to come out.

Well, I was worried my machine wouldn't run it. I am glad to say it most certainly does!!!

NC

Roadburner440
January 13th, 2011, 16:16
Yeah. The sensitivities is something you have to get used to with this bird.. You know NC if you haven't already you can set up TACAN navigation, and ILS approaches to the carriers. I like using the TACAN for when I am just buzzing around doing touch and goes so I can find it again if I want to go straffe the occassional airliner. The ILS definately helps practice approaches to the carrier with this bird, and then you can turn it off and fly a few without. You should also check out the FLIR picture on the HUD sometime. Bird is worth its weight in gold to me.

Cag40Navy
January 13th, 2011, 16:28
Who's Cecil feild is that?

pilottj
January 13th, 2011, 16:37
I already can tell I will have to adjust my control settings (sensitivity). Landing this baby can be a challenge! For some reason, the speed brake isn't responding to the button I have set for it. Need to check on that.

NC

Lol yeah it is quite sensitive...and im flying it with a yoke :) A good joystick setup is the next 'big thing' on my FS shopping list to make this bird/warbirds/choppers...etc easier to fly. I haven't tried the autothrottle for landing yet but manually I try to keep it 150ish on final and the pipper on the end of the runway. The speedbrakes are regulated by the computer and can only be used above 250? or somthing. You can activate them again on the ground on the rollout, then they will automatically retract.

Cheers
TJ

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2011, 17:11
Who's Cecil feild is that?

Originally, the NAS Cecil Field scenery was done by John Stinstrom, for FS9. But none other than SOH member Falcon409 graciously redid it for me. I do not know if he uploaded it or not. Thanks again, Ed!

NC

Navy Chief
January 13th, 2011, 17:16
Yeah. The sensitivities is something you have to get used to with this bird.. You know NC if you haven't already you can set up TACAN navigation, and ILS approaches to the carriers. I like using the TACAN for when I am just buzzing around doing touch and goes so I can find it again if I want to go straffe the occassional airliner. The ILS definately helps practice approaches to the carrier with this bird, and then you can turn it off and fly a few without. You should also check out the FLIR picture on the HUD sometime. Bird is worth its weight in gold to me.

I can see there is a lot to learn about this plane. As for ILS and TACAN, I would have to relearn it all, because I so rarely mess with it. That probably sounds stupid, but I spend more time gathering/installing aircraft and scenery, than actually flying!

NC

Roadburner440
January 13th, 2011, 18:09
Well NC if you don't fly much then you may be better off than I was trying to learn this aircraft. The hardest piece of equipment in the VRS bird for me to learn was that green panel under the HUD with all the numbers on it. Many hours later I figured out finally how to use it (after much consultation with the book). If you ever need any help that is what we are here for. I definately do not want anyone to go through the learning curve I did. Now she is a piece of cake and really don't need the book so much. The weapons systems are definately top notch. Have launched missles and the like, but haven't gotten around to messing with the ground bombs yet. Might wait until after the new weapons package releases to start with all of that again now.

fox18delta
January 13th, 2011, 19:36

NC

Their Support is fantastic. Send them a note. Its a very complicated bird...I've learned to go to support first. Its always been the right move.
The VRS jet is unique piece of software.
Good luck with the boards :-)

CodyValkyrie
January 14th, 2011, 00:10
There is an autopilot mode (can't remember it offhand memory) that will reduce sensitivity significantly. I, and apparently many real world Navy pilots utilize this when landing and it makes things much easier by slowing it all down. The weird handling is due to the true fly by wire system the airplane has. The coding alone to make this a true fly by wire simulated aircraft is phenomenal.

By the way, about the speedbrakes, this was and erroneousness addition based upon incorrect information from an insider if I remember correctly. It has since been fixed in the beta for SP1, and will be fixed for those who are waiting for SP1.

Oelwanne
January 14th, 2011, 01:06
Servicepack 1 is out! Just start your ACM. I have now version 1.1.0.0. :salute:

CodyValkyrie
January 14th, 2011, 01:16
How 'bout them beans?

Oelwanne
January 14th, 2011, 01:58
Beans? What Beans? English is not my first language, maybe i missed something...:kilroy:

CodyValkyrie
January 14th, 2011, 02:35
Essentially I am saying "how about that!?" in regards to SP1 coming out.

VRS has been busy lately :D

Oelwanne
January 14th, 2011, 02:54
Thanks for explaining that. I learned something new !:jump: