PDA

View Full Version : trivial question

cjcz7
January 13th, 2011, 09:01
i found this ETO screen shot on the web, and was just wondering were it was. i have explored quite a lot of the ETO world and never seen a windmill before. thanks for any answers!

ndicki
January 13th, 2011, 09:29
Hawkinge. I've never seen it, either - run a search on your facilities file and you'll see! I've probably never seen it because I don't really use ETO.

cjcz7
January 13th, 2011, 09:35
thanks!
I've flown from Hawkinge loads but i guess i'm not as observant as i once was!!!

Pat Pattle
January 13th, 2011, 09:45
When you take off from Hawkinge it's down on your starboard side.
It's based on the old Airfix model btw!

There's another in the ETO, a different type windmill to the North of Tangmere, Halnaker Towermill.
Not easy to spot amongst the cfs3 trees though ;)

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/Halnaker.jpg

cjcz7
January 13th, 2011, 10:11
cool
:jump:
beat you there! unfortunately the windmill got a bit shot-up!!!
28091:icon31:

Pat Pattle
January 13th, 2011, 10:13
lol! :)

I found the Tangmere windmill when I went to the museum last year, here's a piccie taken from the end of the main runway across to the technical site.
It's quite a famous landmark apparently.

cjcz7
January 13th, 2011, 10:20
i love the little details in the CFS3 expansions! there is always something new to be found.....

ndicki
January 13th, 2011, 10:50
Found it all by myself! Had to stop for dinner first, though...

To be honest, the quality of the ACC work really makes me wish I could afford a better computer! Who needs FSX..?

(Meanwhile, I have E3,000 worth of maintenance to do on the car. New turbo, start with that. No new computer for the foreseeable future.)

Pat Pattle
January 13th, 2011, 12:56
3000E Ouch Nigel! A turbo?? My car doesn't even have electric windows! :icon_lol:

I'm quite chuffed you found the windmill, I do this sort of useless stuff for my own amusement really. An utter waste of polys but it beats watching the telly.

Have you have found these two? There's a training mission in the ETO Bob era which takes you over these. (these pics are from the BoB install where they don't show up so well).

This is on a US base somewhere in the UK..don't they know there's a war on??

http://i497.photobucket.com/albums/rr332/Pat_Pattle/ETO-yanks.jpg

Murray Cod
January 13th, 2011, 13:08
3000E Ouch Nigel! A turbo?? My car doesn't even have electric windows! :icon_lol:

I'm quite chuffed you found the windmill, I do this sort of useless stuff for my own amusement really. An utter waste of polys but it beats watching the telly.

Have you have found these two? There's a training mission in the Bob era which goes over these. (these pics sre from the BoB install whwre they don't show up so well).

I have seen a giant white horse picture on the ground somewhere near the coast if I remember correctly.

popsaka
January 13th, 2011, 14:44
Clive, I also love this stuff...:ernae: ...certainly NOT a waste of polys!

My white horse is on the side of a hill near the coast... just like the one in 'Robin Hood'!:jump:

Also a lovely churchyard, complete w/ bone yard! ...and all the great radar installations...!:medals:

PRang
January 13th, 2011, 16:36
Hi guys

Name of the windmills files. Are they in the building folder or someplace else? Could use them on missions over Holland.

Thanks

God bless

PRang

flyer01
January 13th, 2011, 16:53
i found this ETO screen shot on the web, and was just wondering were it was. i have explored quite a lot of the ETO world and never seen a windmill before. thanks for any answers!

cjcz7,

My favorite site to see in the ETO is Stonehenge‎.

Stonehenge‎

2 Miles West of Amesbury
Salisbury, South England SP4 7DE, United Kingdom

flyer01

alain95
January 14th, 2011, 00:50
cjcz7,

My favorite site to see in the ETO is Stonehenge‎.

Stonehenge‎ - 2 Miles West of Amesbury Salisbury, South England SP4 7DE, United Kingdom

flyer01

...Me too, but Stonehenge is not a special ETO facility but a part of the default CFS3 scenery,
if the ETO team needs any ideas (Hi think it's absolutely not the case) there's still a place for
Woodhenge !

:engel016:

Led Zeppelin
January 14th, 2011, 03:25
Personnally, I would prefer to see part of Le Mans track (pits, grandstands, Dunlop tyre...)! ;-)

ndicki
January 14th, 2011, 04:53
(Clive - O/T - E3000 for: timing belt replacement including water pump, front and rear disks and pads, new radiator, turbocharger and cooler if necessary and a new front half-shaft. That's after 240,000 trouble-free kilometres and six and a half years' use. Bear in mind that a large part of the bill is simply routine maintenance. The car's a 2004 Skoda Octavia MkII, 140HP TDi. Basically mechanically similar to the Audi A3, TT, etc)

I really should potter about more in ETO - I can't do much more than that though, for reasons explained above!

cjcz7
January 14th, 2011, 09:19
on an unrelated matter....
does anyone now whether it is possible to make new bridges for CFS3 rather than the two current stock ones?

ndicki
January 14th, 2011, 10:43
Can't see why not... Clive knows about all that.

popsaka
January 14th, 2011, 18:40
To me, one of the biggest 'if-onlys' has always been cfs3's lack of multi-level terrain.

What bugs me is whilst flying about in the N. Italian mountains, I definitely saw water levels above land...(?) Anyone else know what I'm referring to?

Pat Pattle
January 14th, 2011, 23:46
Windmills: ACC_postmill_b & ACC_Towermill There's also a haybarn: ACC_Haybarn

on an unrelated matter....
does anyone now whether it is possible to make new bridges for CFS3 rather than the two current stock ones?

There were some new bridges made which are up on SoH, don't know exactly where though or who did them. Some were based on the Antheor viaduct model I seem to remember.
Most of the bridges are part of the terrain (the .sm models) which are replacable but I have never got the tools to work to create new ones.

Personnally, I would prefer to see part of Le Mans track (pits, grandstands, Dunlop tyre...)! ;-)

Would you settle for Brooklands in the meantime LZ? I still have the french airfields on the to do list

Led Zeppelin
January 14th, 2011, 23:56
Yep, I know this one and if I remember well, there is also Silverstone available! :wiggle:

ndicki
January 15th, 2011, 03:55
It's got the railway line and everything!

PRang
January 15th, 2011, 08:41
Hi Guys

Do I need permission to use the "ACC_" type buildings ond other items to use in facilities and if I do, who to contact?

NDicki: Do you skin Fw-190s, too? I have been trying to do a 190A-3 Patrulla Azul; Spanish Nationalist aircraft flying in the Eastern Front with JG 52 (?), but it looks really bad, LOL. If you do, let me know.

Good job by all, thanks

God bless

PRang :kilroy: :icon_lol:

ndicki
January 15th, 2011, 09:33
No, I don't do FW190s. Can't stand the thing - flies like a stalled housebrick.

popsaka
January 15th, 2011, 10:40
No, I don't do FW190s. Can't stand the thing - flies like a stalled housebrick.

...Doesn't Dancat's 190 have an improved flight model?(:jump:)

ndicki
January 15th, 2011, 12:02
Yes, but as the original also flew like a house-brick, that doesn't help much. Fast in straight lines, rolls really well, but that's about it. Climbs and turns noticeably less well than a 109, and in horizontal dogfighting, a Spit will chew it up in no time. Strictly boom-and-zoom, which isn't how I like to fight.

Pat Pattle
January 15th, 2011, 22:23
Do I need permission to use the "ACC_" type buildings ond other items to use in facilities and if I do, who to contact?

The ACC stuff has always been provided free for anyone to use, just mention us in the readme please. :)

PRang
January 16th, 2011, 06:12
Thanks Pat

Will do

God bless

PRang :salute:

HouseHobbit
January 16th, 2011, 07:11
Fw 190 flying Brick, WOW that doesn't say much for the Spits does it.

Until late in the war, the Fw 190 eat British Spits like candy..
Not until the Spit Mk IX did the Brits have anything even close to it.
And that statement is from the British pilots who faced this Great bird..

Just because MS made a Fw 190 that sucks in the game (and it does)
doesn't mean that the Fw 190 was at all like this..

I have a flight model EVA from Slip Stream(God Bless Him)
That changes the FW 190 into the dangerous and respected bird She really is..

So don't confuse the Bad MS models with the real thing..

The Brits were scared to death of the Fw 190 during the war, and for very good reason..
As in a interview I have on a program (Made by The BBC) several British pilots all stated that the Fw 190 beat down the RAF, and caused many good Allied pilots to die..

And if the men who fought against the Fw 190 said it was a very dangerous Bird.
I will go with them..

Not some MS modeller who has No idea how to build a true FW 190 flight model..
Just because many of the British are ashamed to admit that the Spit and Hurricane were badly out classed by the FW 190... does not mean it wasn't so..

The Brave British Pilots who faced this bird have a very different story to tell..

Can't help but beat up the Brits sometimes, they make such easy targets..
Just like a Spitfire in the gun sights of a Real FW 190..Doomed...

Off to hide, this is going to cause a fight....:tgun2:

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:

hairyspin
January 16th, 2011, 07:41
Really Owen, you ought to read Nigel's post again. A Spit will chew up a Fw190 in a dogfight, not a boom & zoom fight. Nigel likes dogfights and CFS3 AI aircraft dogfight, not boom & zoom.

When the Fw190 was introduced to combat, the predominant Spit was the Mark V and yes, the Fw190A was a better fighter. The Mark V airframe had a bigger Merlin fitted and this stopgap version became the Mark IX which was fully a match for the Fw190A.

But if you want a good FM for a Fw190, I prefer the AvH models, and their Fw190D-9 especially is a favourite of mine. You just have to fly it to its strengths, like any model. Try dogfighting against Spits in a Me262 and see how long your fur stays unscathed.

cjcz7
January 16th, 2011, 07:48
i agree... to a point!:jump:

when the fw190 fist came out it munched the spit v that we had at the time.
however, when a German pilot mistook the Bristol Chanel for the English Chanel:isadizzy:, he landed his 190 at RAF Pembrey. British engineers analyzed the aircraft and gained a great insight into its strong and weak points, allowing the spit IX to be built with that knowledge in mind.
see http://www.military-aircraft.org.uk/ww2-fighter-planes/focke-wulf-fw-190.htm for more info

and i do agree that the ms flight flight models are :censored:!

hairyspin
January 16th, 2011, 08:15
... when a German pilot mistook the Bristol Chanel for the English Chanel:isadizzy:, he landed his 190 at RAF Pembrey. British engineers analyzed the aircraft and gained a great insight into its strong and weak points, allowing the spit IX to be built with that knowledge in mind....

The Spit Mk IX was first flown in Feb 1942 and was already in production in June 1942, the month when the 190 was captured intact...

cjcz7
January 16th, 2011, 08:23
i must have heard wrong in that case!:redf:

HouseHobbit
January 16th, 2011, 08:46
Yea, just picking on the Brits, The Spit Mk IX was the bird to match the fw 190 without question..

I have many WW2 programs on VHS, most producted in the UK..
And almost to a man, the british pilots state the FW 190 had them running scared for some time..
And I do realize the Fw 190 had the advantage over the Spits below 15k, above this a Spit could out dance a Fw 190 without any problems, for the most part..

But to be honest the Fw 190 and the Spit Mk IX were well matched.. The Spit MkV were easy prey for a experienced FW 190 driver..

And above 20k even a P-38 could turn with a Fw 190..
Higher the Fw 190 went the worse it turned..

But down Low The Fw 190 (below 15k) according to the British men who fought against Her said, Bloody Dangerous.. Even one Squadron Leader was quoted to say,
"We Prayed we didn't find FW 190's above us"

The pilots of the war all agreed from both sides.. That a Fw 190 was a very dangerous bird even to the end of the war..

And I do understand the British love for their Spits..
Heck, if you only have one good fighter plane during the entire war, I'd bet anyone would Say great things about it....:icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Well there goes my hope for a pretty Purple and Pink Dotted FW 190 to shoot down Spits with ...:icon_lol:

ndicki
January 16th, 2011, 10:22
You prayed you didn't find FWs above you, because that was precisely the right tactic to use the FW to its best advantage. The bounce. If you survived the initial bounce (assuming you're flying a Spit) then you have every likelihood of surviving the rest as well - because the FWs will not stop to play. They may try and come back at you on a second run, but if their boss knows his aircraft, they will not attempt a turning fight. 109s would - but as they were less able to "corner" than the Spit (depending on variant, height, speed, etc, etc), Spits could out-turn them but not out-dive or necessarily out-climb them, depending on the variant of Spit this time. The Spit was a good aircraft though to hold on the edge of a stall; it gave plenty of warning, and you could hold it just there; the 109 was not so easy, and the 190 would fall out of the sky like a brick.

If I have to fight 190s or 109Gs, give me a Spit XIVe any day. It'll out-climb the 190 easily, and has the edge on the 109. It dives as well as either, and can out-turn both easily.

Horses for courses.