PDA

View Full Version : 2011 not starting out good

hews500d
January 12th, 2011, 05:36
The wife and I had to make the difficult decision Monday to have our 11 year old seal point Siamese put down after a couple of very rough weeks of forcefeeding her, forcing fluids, vitamins, etc. etc. Not sure what happened, she basically quit eating and would only drink very little. Vet said there was a lot of fluid in her lungs. Poor little thing fought to the end, I think she was trying to get better, but just didn't have the strength to do so.

It's not any fun watching your beloved pet die right before your eyes. I don't know why we as humans choose to put ourselves thru this sometimes.

Darrell

Navy Chief
January 12th, 2011, 05:47
The wife and I had to make the difficult decision Monday to have our 11 year old seal point Siamese put down after a couple of very rough weeks of forcefeeding her, forcing fluids, vitamins, etc. etc. Not sure what happened, she basically quit eating and would only drink very little. Vet said there was a lot of fluid in her lungs. Poor little thing fought to the end, I think she was trying to get better, but just didn't have the strength to do so.

It's not any fun watching your beloved pet die right before your eyes. I don't know why we as humans choose to put ourselves thru this sometimes.

Darrell

Darrell, believe me when I tell you I know exactly how you feel. And I am so, so very sorry for your loss. I lost my blue point Siamese, "Armand", back in 2004, under the same circumstances. I tried to get him to drink, eat, etc....as you did. Armand tried, but his respiratory problems were too much for him. He finally just gave up trying. When I took him to the vet that last day, it was the hardest thing I've ever done.

I am most definitely thinking of you today, my friend. Try, if you can, to concentrate on the joy your loving Siamese gave you through out her life.

Pete

Bone
January 12th, 2011, 05:58
Losing a pet is terrible, sorry man.

Tako_Kichi
January 12th, 2011, 06:07
My thoughts and condolences go out to you and your wife Darrell.

We went through the same thing a couple of years back when one of our cats got very sick and we had to resort to forcing food and liquids down his throat as he refused to eat. That was almost as stressful to us as watching him waste away. The vet was unsure of the problem but suspected leukemia and possible liver failure as the cause.

hews500d
January 12th, 2011, 07:06
Thanks guys. Even though there's a lot of heartache right now, when I look back on it, I wouldn't trade those good times we had with her for anything.

i guess the old saying is true " 'tis better to have loved and lost, than never have loved at all."

Darrell

mariereid
January 12th, 2011, 07:28
Sorry for your loss. I had 2 great dogs, really my best friends. Bear died at home, she was only 10 and whatever she had it was something that the vets could not figure out. I got up about 4 am to see how she was doing. As soon as the wife came to see her, she just gave up living. She really loved the wife. Maggie was 14. We went through all the force feeding and injections, too. I was holding her on my lap when the vet ended it. This felt a lot worse than it did with Bear. At least she chose her own time. I might just be weird, but the loss of those two hurt a lot more than the loss of some people I was close to. We really want a dog or two, but going through that again? Maybe someday. Hang in there, folks.

Toastmaker
January 12th, 2011, 07:39
We're sorry for your loss. We're sure, as you know, she had a great life with you and your wife.

Daveroo
January 12th, 2011, 09:13
oh man..sorry for your loss.....brings back memories of my lil buddy bandit....she faught for her life after my psycho girlfriend at the time poisened her...shame...

Haley and i wish you our condolances...

HouseHobbit
January 12th, 2011, 09:54
I am very Sorry To Hear of Your Loss..

I do understand, I too have had a beloved pet pass..
May you find comfort knowing you gave Your cat a loving Home and now the Pet is resting..
And I like to think Having Great Fun..

Roadburner440
January 12th, 2011, 15:00
Sorry to hear about your loss Darrell. Not sure what it is about these type of cats (I have a Himilayan though, but pretty much the same thing). Mine acts like he is a person, and I do not know what I would do if he died. Hopefully things will get better in the future, but at least you didn't let her suffer it out till the end. I am confident you made the right choice, and she is in a better place now.

jbtate
January 12th, 2011, 17:06
Sorry for the loss of your beloved pet, Darrell. I'll give my soon to be 17 year old cat Amelia some pets in memory of your cat.
jbtate